l AM GOD

They cut your head off and put it on the brain dead body.
That sounds so fake.
And stupid.
...And what about your brain?
That thing doesn't last forever.

Kaze Araki

Libertarian Communist
Actually, head transplantation has been proven successful several times in animals. The main remaining problem lies in connecting back the severed spinal chord. The video (in the opening post) assume that this is possible with current technology (probably related to stem-cell research).
[YOUTUBE]EdJGlYOL0r4[/YOUTUBE]

Canabary

Administrator
Actually, head transplantation has been proven successful several times in animals. The main remaining problem lies in connecting back the severed spinal chord. The video (in the opening post) assume that this is possible with current technology (probably related to stem-cell research).
[YOUTUBE]EdJGlYOL0r4[/YOUTUBE]
It also assumes that there will be no complications with the new brain and the rest of the nervous system once the spinal cord has been re-attached. Assuming that the nervous system and the brain is developed at roughly the same time in an embryo there could be massive differences in the way information is passed through this system from person to person. According to some brain research we all have a unique electrical brain signature (I so need to learn the clinical term for that), which is as unique as fingerprints. In that case there's absolutely no guarantee that the nervous system wouldn't require that same "signature" to operate successfully.

I'm not questioning the possiblity of doing this one time in the future. Although by that time I would assume we have something considerably less crude than "choping someone's head off and attaching it to someone else's body" all Frankenstein style. I am however questioning the statement in the video that they've done so already.

Has it been addressed that our brains don't last forever?
What do we do to fix that go all Battle Angel Alita and forgo brains all together just put the data on a chip and put it in their head?
But at that point are you even the same person?

Kaze Araki

Libertarian Communist
There seems to be confusion in this thread, probably because I didn't put any explanation in the opening post. In any case, this thread attempt to show that; immortality is just few steps away as human now are playing and becoming God themselves. Whether the story in the video is true or not bear very little relevance to the philosophical question at hand, since no one would deny the feasibility of such attempt.

EDIT: In short, this is a big win for Materialism.

Swiss

function Swiss()
how unfortunate, why do some human being feel the need to 'play God'? Because of human experimentation and curiosity, that's the reason we have HIV, Swine Flu and many other fatal illnesses. People doing sex changes and all that, when and if I ever become a father and my child asks 'dad, does a male have a penis or a vagina?' What the heck am i gonna say? Well son, some men have one or the other, eh? this world is a sad place. Anyway there's only one God, so human beings can try to become Him all they want, but they'll have to answer to Him sooner or later.

^This so funny.
What kid is going to ask that?
And you can't prove that sooo, I don't really care.
Eventually when people reach immortality what will god matter?

Kaze Araki

Libertarian Communist
If we manage to retain our identity even with a new body (except our head), this seems to imply that if soul exist, it must exist in our head - therefore, most likely not. Head transplantation itself is just the beginning, a more less crude method would be simply to transplant our brain into a new body - but this does not ends here. If this is possible, than we don't even need to transplant our whole brain, only partial i.e. the part that store our sense of identity. Going even further, we don't even need to transplant that part of the brain, we just need to transfer our unique identity there into a computer and thus we can actually exist and conscious without the need of a body i.e. in the form of software.

All this will give credence to the thesis of Materialism, where everything in existence (including conciousness) is nothing more but interactions between matters.

Kaze Araki

Libertarian Communist
Let us assume that this is possible i.e. the Ghost in the Shell world.
How do you explain it from religious point of view?
Just a thought experiment. :D

Zero Phoenix

The Second Coming of Hazama
Let us assume that this is possible i.e. the Ghost in the Shell world.
How do you explain it from religious point of view?
Just a thought experiment. :D

Oh, so I have Kaze-dono's attention? :shrug: What a righteous day this is. :cool2: OK, I'll bite.

Suppose we upload our mind to the net. Is our soul in cyberspace or is it still in our bodies? The soul resides in the body. Not necessary the mind or the heart by themselves. Think of a body as an exoskeleton and the soul is on the inside. Anyway, our brain expresses the will of our soul through our thoughts which, for all intents and purposes are electrical signals. We could probably mindjack our computers but I doubt we'd see a world like in GItS. More than likely we'd see zeros and ones but be unable to process any of it. Anyway, even if we upload our thoughts to the net the soul would still be in the body. If the body dies it stands to reason that any electrical impulses we send to the net via our synapses would die too. What's left over, if anything, wouldn't be us but probably just residual data. We could not say that we could achieve immortality because we would still be dead.

Biomega

Net Ronin Of All Trades
immortality is just few steps away as human now are playing and becoming God themselves. Whether the story in the video is true or not bear very little relevance to the philosophical question at hand, since no one would deny the feasibility of such attempt.
Of course it is. The point when we reach singularity. This is what the Transhumanist fad is all about.

Not even God can sink it.

Zero Phoenix

The Second Coming of Hazama
Of course it is. The point when we reach singularity. This is what the Transhumanist fad is all about.

Not even God can sink it.

My dear friend Biomega, not to affront you but I'm not sure if we're supposed to take any of your posts seriously in this discussion. They seem so outlandish that you could only be trolling but some part of me thinks that you believe the credibility of your words. I'm not bashing you, I'm merely wondering if I should respond to your posts or continue to ignore them.

noex1337

Emmie was here
Oh, so I have Kaze-dono's attention? :shrug: What a righteous day this is. :cool2: OK, I'll bite.

Suppose we upload our mind to the net. Is our soul in cyberspace or is it still in our bodies? The soul resides in the body. Not necessary the mind or the heart by themselves. Think of a body as an exoskeleton and the soul is on the inside. Anyway, our brain expresses the will of our soul through our thoughts which, for all intents and purposes are electrical signals. We could probably mindjack our computers but I doubt we'd see a world like in GItS. More than likely we'd see zeros and ones but be unable to process any of it. Anyway, even if we upload our thoughts to the net the soul would still be in the body. If the body dies it stands to reason that any electrical impulses we send to the net via our synapses would die too. What's left over, if anything, wouldn't be us but probably just residual data. We could not say that we could achieve immortality because we would still be dead.
What verification do you have of the existence of this "soul"? Or is this just a hypothesis of yours?

Arachna

Spider
Staff member
I want to ask something.
Can cartesian dualism be applied in this case?

It states that the mind and the body are separate entities that interact with each other, the same theory that stands behind the concept of “ghost in the shell”, the soul or the mind as
immaterial, trapped inside the material body in humans, in the case of cyborgs the two of them being able to separate, thus offering immortality.

And Noex.. i kinda do think. That every creature has a soul.