l AM GOD

I swear, that looks so fake for some reason.

But if it's true, then I'm curious as to why major religious bodies haven't reacted yet. Or did I miss that?

Biomega

Net Ronin Of All Trades
YES! I can now say, f you mortality. I can't believe that India, of all countries, is doing this shiz. In your face Amerija(keep doing your human killing technologies, that's what you are good at)! But I am still a bit sceptic about it, did they really do that? I mean, the spinal nerves, and face-neck nerves... don't they need reconstruction? Can the new head adapt to the new alien body?

I mean, it take years for your hand/fingers to start moving normally if they are cut and stitched back.

Anway, time to clone more me, put them in cryostatis. If I need a new body, I simply swap my head.

Quote this if you find the Indian accent funny.

I swear, that looks so fake for some reason.
But if it's true, then I'm curious as to why major religious bodies haven't reacted yet. Or did I miss that?
I will kill every religious body for retarding scientific development.

Kaze Araki

Libertarian Communist
The philosophical implication of this is massive if it turns out that our consciousness are mere chemical reactions. I can see a Ghost in the Shell/Serial Experiment Lain future not so far from now. The scientific progress would follow a time line similar to this;

Head Transplant (already proven to be successful in other animals) -> Brain Transplant -> Digitization of Identity.

I didn't get the title... kinda misleading as I thought it was about a new religious way of thought, not that we're able to reproduce organs. It does not make us God or anyone God.
The word "God" is used differently from everyone as in what they would call a God, but all in all it usually refers to a higher being that reigns over something. I do not believe science will ever make someone or something related to "God". It will always be science, and using God and Science combined is just wrong in my head.

Biomega

Net Ronin Of All Trades
The philosophical implication of this is massive if it turns out that our consciousness are mere chemical reactions. I can see a Ghost in the Shell/Serial Experiment Lain future not so far from now. The scientific progress would follow a time line similar to this;

Head Transplant (already proven to be successful in other animals) -> Brain Transplant -> Digitization of Identity.
Of course it is mere chemical reactions, and not some 6th dimensional entity commanding the physical body! Oh, right, it will be a great evidence against religion. :^^:

I like that last part. The Flatline.

The word "God" is used differently from everyone as in what they would call a God, but all in all it usually refers to a higher being that reigns over something. I do not believe science will ever make someone or something related to "God". It will always be science, and using God and Science combined is just wrong in my head.
God here means immortality.

This intrigues me. Exactly how does being able to conduct brain transplants lead to digitization of identity? I'm implying that you mean "digitizing the human brain", but how is that supposed to work? Digitizing it would inevitably allow teleportation through digitization as well, right?

God here means immortality.
I don't think it gives you immortality though. Sure, you can transplant an old guy's head onto a young guy's body, but the head remains old, and will continue to age and degenerate. Soon, you'd get a zombie head on a perfectly normal body, and I doubt the person would be living by then.

Kaze Araki

Libertarian Communist
Brain transplant/partial brain transplant aims to preserve the sense of identity. If consciousness (and thus identity) is proven to be mere chemical reactions, this mean that its pattern of interaction can be transferred into digital form, allowing a sense of identity without the need of a physical body (a la God in Serial Experiment Lain).

Brain transplant/partial brain transplant aims to preserve the sense of identity. If consciousness (and thus identity) is proven to be mere chemical reactions, this mean that its pattern of interaction can be transferred into digital form, allowing a sense of identity without the need of a physical body (a la God in Serial Experiment Lain).
I could have done without that spoiler there OTL oh well... but this leads back to my point earlier that "God" is the same as "Justice" also refering back to the point I made when we had that discussion that its a non biased word that can be used by anyone in any way, where only the personal makes the difference. I still feel that the word God is used wrongly based on my personal view on it, but I can never accuse someone of using it wrongly, since there isn't a wrong way to use it, since its a double edged sword.

Biomega

Net Ronin Of All Trades
This intrigues me. Exactly how does being able to conduct brain transplants lead to digitization of identity? I'm implying that you mean "digitizing the human brain", but how is that supposed to work? Digitizing it would inevitably allow teleportation through digitization as well, right?
In laymen term, it's called mind/brain uploading.

And there are pretty nice documents online if you want to read more on it.

I don't think it gives you immortality though. Sure, you can transplant an old guy's head onto a young guy's body, but the head remains old, and will continue to age and degenerate. Soon, you'd get a zombie head on a perfectly normal body, and I doubt the person would be living by then.
You have dismissed several accounts.

Why would the head age to begin with? If we have the technology to do that, then we have the technology to rejuvenate and regenerate cells and organs, like Julie from Neuromancer. Plus, it's not necessary head to body, it could be brain to body, like Kozlov in Biomega.
And my example is The Dixie Flatline from Neuromancer. Spoilers:
HE LIVES! EVEN AFTER THE DELETE!
What happened is that Dixie's consciousness, memory and etc is uploaded in a ROM and is kept in a scientific facility.
but this leads back to my point earlier that "God" is the same as "Justice" also refering back to the point I made when we had that discussion that its a non biased word that can be used by anyone in any way, where only the personal makes the difference. I still feel that the word God is used wrongly based on my personal view on it, but I can never accuse someone of using it wrongly, since there isn't a wrong way to use it, since its a double edged sword.
We can define it's usage. Just like what I did earlier.

You have dismissed several accounts.

Why would the head age to begin with? If we have the technology to do that, then we have the technology to rejuvenate and regenerate cells and organs, like Julie from Neuromancer. Plus, it's not necessary head to body, it could be brain to body, like Kozlov in Biomega.
Well that's a pretty far-out assumption on your part, saying that if we have the technology to do a head/transplant (which is pretty much a normal transplant), we can rejuvenate and regenerate cells and organs (which is the creation of organs). They're worlds apart in terms of technology required.

And brain cells degenerate too.

Biomega

Net Ronin Of All Trades
And brain cells degenerate too.
Everything that has a nucleus degenerate. We have an enzyme(the enzyme is telomerase) called Telomeres somewhere in our DNA. It cuts every time we cell regenerate. And once it reach its deadline, we are kissing the world good bye. But! Science is trying to found out methods to increase this part in our gene. They did find a couple of methods, but they cause serious anomalous cell growth aka cancer.

Everything that has a nucleus degenerate. We have an enzyme(the enzyme is telomerase) called Telomeres somewhere in our DNA. It cuts every time we cell regenerate. And once it reach its deadline, we are kissing the world good bye. But! Science is trying to found out methods to increase this part in our gene. They did find a couple of methods, but they cause serious anomalous cell growth aka cancer.
I know. So far, efforts to stop or reverse cell degeneration have not been completely successful, as opposed to organ transplants which have been going on for some time. What I'm saying is, you cannot say that, if you have the technology to transplant a head/brain, you have the technology to stop or reverse cell degeneration.

Biomega

Net Ronin Of All Trades
What I'm saying is, you cannot say that, if you have the technology to transplant a head/brain, you have the technology to stop or reverse cell degeneration.
It's a strange thing that I have said that. There is no point of relevance between the two. But I think it was for that post you made about the head being aged. Ah. What I wanted to say, is that if we are going to head/brain transplant, then we should also attain the technology to cell rejuvenate in conjunction with the head/body transplant so that we have a perfect balance and a successful transplant. As you have said, what's the use of a new body or the whole of the transplant, if the head is nearing to die, no?

It's a strange thing that I have said that. There is no point of relevance between the two. But I think it was for that post you made about the head being aged. Ah. What I wanted to say, is that if we are going to head/brain transplant, then we should also attain the technology to cell rejuvenate in conjunction with the head/body transplant so that we have a perfect balance and a successful transplant. As you have said, what's the use of a new body or the whole of the transplant, if the head is nearing to die, no?
Yeah, that's true. Scientists also need to find a way to reverse the aging process.

Also, in such a scenario of a head transplant, would a failed transplant due to rejection mean that the head rejects the body, or the body rejects the head?

Biomega

Net Ronin Of All Trades
Also, in such a scenario of a head transplant, would a failed transplant due to rejection mean that the head rejects the body, or the body rejects the head?
That's also a possible scenario. Heck, sometimes our own body rejects itself. Skin attacking the muscles. Phagocytes attacking the liver cells. Scary stuff.

I think I made a thread about the possibilities of teleportation and mind reading.

Canabary

Administrator
"The scientists behind FBT will neither confirm nor deny that they've done a FBT"

"There are 6 people with FBT's performed on them".

How the heck did that happen if the people behind it will neither confirm nor deny?

"A 70 year old woman with the body of a 21 year old model"

I think someone would have noticed...

Edit:

Keep in mind that they claim that the process is simply chopping someone's head off and attatching it to another neck. They aren't actually talking about removing the brain and puttin it into someone else's head.