l AM GOD

noex1337

Emmie was here
Say whut? The soul is very much real in Judaism.

Gensis 2:7 - And the Almighty formed the man of dust from the ground, and he blew into his nostrils the soul of life.

King Solomon wrote:
Ecclessiastes 12:17 - The dust will return to the ground as it was, and the spirit will return to the God who gave it.

In judaism the soul is not just real, it's the part of god that is inside you, your reason for living.
Spirit = breath, i.e. what gives you life. there is no Conscience associated with it.

Canabary

Administrator

Spirit = breath, i.e. what gives you life. there is no Conscience associated with it.
Although true, it is refered to as the "soul". The soul as a conscience was introduced in connection with the messanic hope (Persia). However the soul is still very much relevant before that.

noex1337

Emmie was here
My viewpoint on the soul, quite simple really.
7And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
Genesis 2:7

Soul is a classification of when the body is given life. It has no external conscience, and it is not immortal. It does not go to heaven or hell when we die, for when we die, the body-spirit link is broken and it does not exist. That is all. Therefore I found this entire argument of whether the soul would be digitized to be absolutely nonsensical.

Canabary

Administrator

Soul is a classification of when the body is given life. It has no external conscience, and it is not immortal. It does not go to heaven or hell when we die, for when we die, the body-spirit link is broken and it does not exist. That is all. Therefore I found this entire argument of whether the soul would be digitized to be absolutely nonsensical.
Further in the text it's said that the soul, the spirit of god is eternal. It may not contain a consciousness, but it's certainly refered to as the immortal soul. A highly esteemed commentator on Genesis, Chizaki (or something like that), notes that the "soul" is part of god, and is therefore, as god himself, immortal and eternal.

noex1337

Emmie was here
Further in the text it's said that the soul, the spirit of god is eternal. It may not contain a consciousness, but it's certainly refered to as the immortal soul. A highly esteemed commentator on Genesis, Chizaki (or something like that), notes that the "soul" is part of god, and is therefore, as god himself, immortal and eternal.
Can you cite that part? And btw, if the pope holds no significance to me, it's a bit obvious that this Chizaki guy doesn't either. But I would be interested in reading his arguments.

Also, what the hell happened to the edit and quote buttons?

Canabary

Administrator

Can you cite that part? And btw, if the pope holds no significance to me, it's a bit obvious that this Chizaki guy doesn't either. But I would be interested in reading his arguments.
I'm not sure what I seem to be arguing now. I'm just saying the soul very much exists in the Jewish faith and that it is indeed eternal.

It was apparently Chizkuni. And unless you have a torah commentator book (barely anyone has) it's a bit difficult to cite. However I think this should cover a little of it:

http://mydvar.com/tag/chizkuni/

http://www.simpletoremember.com/articles/a/jewish-afterlife-beliefs/
(some rabbi)

Kaze Araki

Libertarian Communist
[MENTION=164]noex1337[/MENTION]
Say whut? The soul is very much real in Judaism.

Gensis 2:7 - And the Almighty formed the man of dust from the ground, and he blew into his nostrils the soul of life.
Soul in the modern sense of "eternal and pertain to after life" does not exist originally in Judaism. The text refer to "living soul" i.e. pertain to the living world and not the underworld.

7 Then the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
Source: http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0102.htm

King Solomon wrote:
No, he wasn't the one who wrote that.
The original writer is unknown.

Ecclessiastes 12:17 - The dust will return to the ground as it was, and the spirit will return to the God who gave it.
7 And the dust returneth to the earth as it was, and the spirit returneth unto God who gave it.
Source: http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt3112.htm
There's no mention of continuous existence of soul here.

In judaism the soul is not just real, it's the part of god that is inside you, your reason for living.
Definition of "soul" differ from book to book.

noex1337

Emmie was here
I'm not sure what I seem to be arguing now. I'm just saying the soul very much exists in the Jewish faith and that it is indeed eternal.

It was apparently Chizkuni. And unless you have a torah commentator book (barely anyone has) it's a bit difficult to cite. However I think this should cover a little of it:

http://mydvar.com/tag/chizkuni/

http://www.simpletoremember.com/articles/a/jewish-afterlife-beliefs/
(some rabbi)
I see. Thanks, i'll get back to you on that (as it's a bit lengthy).

[MENTION=170]Zero Phoenix[/MENTION]: I refuse to read all that buy I've taken the liberty of extracting all the bible texts. Have you read all of this?
(1 John 5:16, 17)
16If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.

17All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.
(2 Cor. 7:10)
10For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.
(Eph. 5:14)
14Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.
(Matt. 8 : 22)
21And another of his disciples said unto him, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.

22But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead.
(cf. Gen. 2:17)
17But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
(cf. Gen. 5:5)
5And all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years: and he died.
(Gen. 3:17-19)
7And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;

18Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;

19In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.
(cf. Mark 9:44)
44Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
(cf. Matt. 8:12)
12But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
(cf. Matt. 5:22)
22But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
(Isa. 1:31)
31And the strong shall be as tow, and the maker of it as a spark, and they shall both burn together, and none shall quench them.
(cf. Rev. 20:14)
14And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
(Rom. 8:13)
13For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
(John 6:63)
63It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
(John 6:68)
68Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.
(cf. Rom. 7:10)
10And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.
(cf. 2 Cor. 2:16)
16To the one we are the savour of death unto death; and to the other the savour of life unto life. And who is sufficient for these things?
Now make your point. And do not confuse references to the resurrection and eternal life in heaven with your proposition of the immortal soul.

Canabary

Administrator
@noex1337

Soul in the modern sense of "eternal and pertain to after life" does not exist originally in Judaism. The text refer to "living soul" i.e. pertain to the living world and not the underworld.

7 Then the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
Source: http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0102.htm
Although it is not expressed as being eternal, it does express it to be "of God". Taking into account that god is eternal, it stands to reason, and has been argued by commentators, that the soul would also be eternal. Although you are right, the "modern" concept of the soul does not exist. The hebrew word used in this passage can also mean spirit, soul and essence. As for the underworld? Did I say that?

No, he wasn't the one who wrote that.
The original writer is unknown.

7 And the dust returneth to the earth as it was, and the spirit returneth unto God who gave it.
Source: http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt3112.htm
There's no mention of continuous existence of soul here.
I think you missunderstand my claim. I said that soul is very much real in early judaism, it is the reason for living, the spirit of life, part of god. However I've also said that the soul that lives on after death was introduced at the same time as the messonic prophecies and was in fact inspired by persian beliefes of rebirth.

Definition of "soul" differ from book to book.
The tricky thing about hebrew is that one word doesn't just mean one thing. While it may be used as "soul" in one instance, it can easily mean essence, spirit, breath or other things in another. The definition of soul differs, that is true, but there remains one constant and that is the soul is of god.

Kaze Araki

Libertarian Communist
In case you don't read my original post, I don't dwell in religious exegeses. Your commentators are rabbis, not historian. I don't treat the Bible as one united and coherent book.

Canabary

Administrator
In case you don't read my original post, I don't dwell in religious exegeses. Your commentators are rabbis, not historian. I don't treat the Bible as one united and coherent book.
Although I respect that I would also like to point out that these commentators have dedicated their life to understand the texts, and as we seem to base the arguements on the texts it's only natural to use the religious exegeses. In Judaism the rabbi is equally much an historian as he is a man of god. As you well know the jewish faith considers study of the torah and its teachings highly important, and they are therefore quite well suited to "explain" the texts, especially when the translations can be difficult.

I was explaining to Noex regarding "soul from modern perspective".
Ah I see, I appologize. It looked like you were arguing that Judaism didn't have a concept of soul in the earlier writings.

Kaze Araki

Libertarian Communist
In any case, "soul" also can't be argued as eternal if we were to use modern understanding, in a sense that; if the soul lack "identity", than the soul is nothing more but part of God and not really "soul" anymore in a proper sense.

Canabary

Administrator
Once again, we've run aground.
True that.

Alright. So Let's assume theoretically that a full body translpant, as so incredibly dubiously presented in the video, does indeed transfer all that makes us human to this new "body" of ours, including the soul. Let's just assume that we can basically transfer everything that we are into a new body. Basically that we can, just for arguements sake, become immortal by transfering our concsiousness into that of a brain dead person. Looking aside from all the massive technical difficulties that is bound to be present.

My questions would then be.

1. How morally right is it to extend human life like this?
2. How do you ensure that no one abuses this by using fully sentient and alive humans to extend their lives?
3. It's a fairly well known phenomena in science that in order for progress to be achieved new ideas will have to be introduced. Most "brilliant" ideas are in fact from people who think "outside the box". In a scenario like this the old guard could keep going for centuries, maintaining the status quo, would this halt or increase human scientific development?
4. At what point would you say "enough is enough, you have to die"? Nothing can live forever after all.

Zero Phoenix

The Second Coming of Hazama
My first question would be, "Can I even answer your questions in the hypothetical without certain unbelievers blowing the matter entirely out of context?" I do not think it possible but I will try.

1. How morally right is it to extend human life like this?
1) Well we do organ transplants all the time yes? Brains, hearts, livers, kidneys, you name it. Of course reanimating the dead and taking over their bodies would be well, impractical. If we have the technology to transfer our mind into another body, would it not be more practical to utilize technology to engineer our bodies so that we don't die? Not only that but how dead is the body in question? Has it been kept on ice? What caused the person to die? I know you wish us to ignore the massive amount of technical difficulties but if I am to take this discussion seriously [and I honestly don't because really, is this not a play for a real world Deadman Wonderland meets Ghost in the Shell] I must remain quite technical and anal in that regard.

2. How do you ensure that no one abuses this by using fully sentient and alive humans to extend their lives?
2) It's impossible so let's not even bother with the question. Like all medical technology and technology in general, this power will be abused at some point.

3. It's a fairly well known phenomena in science that in order for progress to be achieved new ideas will have to be introduced. Most "brilliant" ideas are in fact from people who think "outside the box". In a scenario like this the old guard could keep going for centuries, maintaining the status quo, would this halt or increase human scientific development?
3) Science will always progress at the cost of our morality.

4. At what point would you say "enough is enough, you have to die"? Nothing can live forever after all.
4) Never. It is in human nature as a result of original sin to abuse all the power that God gave us. Humans have shunned God in favor of science yet they still need to believe in God so that they can cling to their hope of becoming God.

Core

Fascinating...
YES! I can now say, f you mortality. I can't believe that India, of all countries, is doing this shiz.

It is actually the most logical country TO do it.. their major influence is not a monotheistic religion.

Some of you are saying that the body is not simply a machine to HOUSE the brain. Everything including alot of peoples definition of the soul... are all part of the brain and always have been.This should not give any change to religion only those that made wrong interpretations.

There are more then a few complications with this research though... and I dont mean on Ethical grounds.

That is relative to the story... But this topic became very...God conscious.. uhm...

At what point do we start calling ourselves gods? never? because monotheistic religions define god as an omniscient,omnipresent entity that created all that we know... there are things that humans have created in which we could be viewed as such..
God shaped the land!... so can we... God made laws!.. so did we.. GOD CREATED HUMANS!... technically wrong if there are religious evolutionists here. but for the sake argument... so can we.
There are very few things that seperate humanity from the definiton of a monotheistic god.. these days.. 2000 years ago.. TOTALLY DIFFERENT STORY!.. but now.. not so much.

And Zero Phoenix:

1 I think you mean conscious.. not mind :) And it is possible to map the neural pathways therefore a "mind transfer"(Transfer of the human consciousness) is not that implausible.. but like the theory behind teleportation... it would simply mean death of one container(you) and the creation of a new(clone)
It is the same paradox's that come up with things like Time-travel and Teleportation. Who can be sure that the container that lives is truly you and not just a carbon copy. In regards to teleportation.. and a parallel you in regards to time-travel

2 Not wrong here.. but you are over-categorizing.. It is in human nature to enrich thyself... the methods used can be explained as.. exploits.. but only some exploits are abuse.. and some are use... society dictates the delineates between those(because its a variable :D).

3 Whose morality? Not mine.Theres a problem with people giving titles of brilliance to those that seem to think outside of the box.Only those that can see the full picture know what actually constitutes as OUT OF THE BOX thinking. Because Out of the box thinking really is almost impossible because it defies the laws physics... most people however are stunted by their own inner-perception that they create their own box and thus stop looking at the real box.
I am a firm believer that "The box" is this entire reality and the laws of physics that bind it. Most however create their own perception of "The box" and anyone who thinks beyond their reasoning(Box) is a genius or a complete retard.

4 I already covered :p