What is Beauty?

Arachna

Spider
Staff member
Is beauty truth? If something is nice, is it true?

Is it beautiful symphony as true as scientific fact?

Beauty is when the mind says :
"There is symmetry here, and I must find it!"
Is beauty objective or subjective? Is it only in the eye of the beholder? Is it an experience?

Who is qualified to judge what is beautiful and what isn't?

Your thoughts on the subject?

Beauty is something that awakens emotions within a person, thus it can be different from various people. No one can truly judge if something is beautiful or not, but we can all say if we think something is beautiful. Whether it is an object, person, thought or action. To make it easy, I think of beauty as a adjective to explain when something makes you feel in a certain way, making you want to look at it.

Arachna

Spider
Staff member
What about the influance of others? Can other people and environment around you, indicate or lead you,to look at some things within the boundaries they created?

Kaze Araki

Libertarian Communist
Beauty is when the mind says :
"There is symmetry here, and I must find it!"
This explain why there exist consensus definition of beauty. If beauty truly lies in the eye of the beholder, then such consensus would not even be possible in the first place.

Zero Phoenix

The Second Coming of Hazama
So then why are more larger women typically considered unattractive, even though they may be symmetrical?
That's a good question. Not only that but even if someone is perfectly symmetrical, they can still be quite ugly if they're a total bitch. The idea that beauty is in the eye of the beholder does have a great deal of merit because even if I consider a womans appearance to be a nine or ten, if she has a bad personality or happens to be foul natured I would consider her quite ugly no matter how physically appealing she might be. And in my case if I examine a woman who has an unattractive personality, the woman herself is entirely unattractive regardless of symmetry. Some women feel the same about men.

Symmetrical = Harmonious
Which does not answer Noex's question.

Canabary

Administrator
Now what I'm about to say may sound like ramblings, and indeed it might be, but bear with me.

It seems to me that beauty and mathematics are heavily linked. Our perception of a beautiful piece of music quite often tends to have a wonderful mathematical symetry to it, Mozart's pieces for instance are so close to mathematical perfection that it's almost creepy. There's something in this mathetmatical consistency that resonates with our brain on some level. Further, people are generally considered more beautiful if their facial, and body symetry have a mathemetical consistency. That does not mean that there has to be perfect symetry, in fact we seem to prefer the flaws. We do not find square headed robots beautiful, even though their geometrical shapes are perfect. Nor do we find music that is "perfect" to be beautiful, without the flaws it's simple "too perfect".

Beauty however is a creation of our brain, without the perception of beauty there would be no beauty so to speak. Although we can in most likelyhood use mathematics as a general guide for beauty we also know that beauty can be "created". In certain social psychology theories (too lazy to find them atm, sorry), it is believed that familiarity can cause "love" and a perception of "beauty". Perhaps our brain is designed to find mathematical consistencies in everything around us, and through repeat exposure to people, shapes etc, we little by little find them more beautiful as time passes. Our brain could simply be desperate to find these consistencies, which could also explain why many consider "celebrities" to be more "beautiful" than ordinary folk (although in most cases they simply are ordinary folk).

It would make sense in my opinion that the tool we've decided is the most elegant and sophisticated form of understanding the world, mathematics, is also what guides our perception of beauty. At some level our brain chemistry responds to this mathemtical perfection (or near perfection).

Again sorry for the rambling :unsure:

Kaze Araki

Libertarian Communist
Symmetry is a sense of harmony, aesthetic, delight, proportionality and balance perceived by our minds. This of course differ from one person to another. However, a general tendencies can still be established from our mind's observation of patterns in reality. Henceforth explain why most people are inclined to see a proportionally weighted woman as more attractive than a larger one.

PS: Neither the original quote nor I, was talking from a mathematical perspective of which is more precise and narrow, but inadequate in explaining "beauty" from psychological sense.

Zero Phoenix

Symmetry is a sense of harmony, aesthetic, delight, proportionality and balance perceived by our minds. This of course differ from one person to another. However, a general tendencies can still be established from our mind's observation of patterns in reality. Henceforth explain why most people are inclined to see a proportionally weighted woman as more attractive than a larger one.
You have my thanks sir.

Arachna

Spider
Staff member
This explain why there exist consensus definition of beauty. If beauty truly lies in the eye of the beholder, then such consensus would not even be possible in the first place.
What about Golden Ratio ?
The Vitruvian Man is probably a great example of that symmetry.

Humans, like most animals, exhibit mirror symmetry, meaning we are roughly the same on both sides.
This is something we subconsciously find appealing in our mates.
For instance, men are more attracted to women with symmetrical features. In a study at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, females with symmetrical faces were not only more attractive to their male peers than females with asymmetrical faces,they also had a higher number of previous sexual partners and tended to lose their virginity at an earlier age.

PS: Neither the original quote nor I, was talking from a mathematical perspective of which is more precise and narrow, but inadequate in explaining "beauty" from psychological sense.

Symmetry’s role in mate selection is based on the hypothesis that it can give clues to underlying genetic fitness.
Asymmetry can show flaws in the genetic code or a predisposition to disease—someone you don’t want your genes commingling with. Because of the ability of symmetry to advertise someone’s health, it is an outward clue to help us select a good mate.

Yet it stands to question whether we find symmetrical faces and bodies more attractive because they’re healthier, or because that’s what we’re used to.
Look at the cover of any fashion magazine and it’s easy to conclude that most models’ faces are almost mirror images of each other, with very little skewing. Does our idea of attractiveness have more to do with nature, or the norm?

And well. In my mind.
Everyone finds different things attractive -" beauty is in the eye of the beholder", as Shakespeare said - and even people who are "ugly" ( i really hate that word) will have beautiful parts about them.

I am a tiny person. I wush i could be..taller..and bigger. But nature made me the way i am. So i guess i have to be gratefull.

That's a good question. Not only that but even if someone is perfectly symmetrical, they can still be quite ugly if they're a total bitch. The idea that beauty is in the eye of the beholder does have a great deal of merit because even if I consider a womans appearance to be a nine or ten, if she has a bad personality or happens to be foul natured I would consider her quite ugly no matter how physically appealing she might be. And in my case if I examine a woman who has an unattractive personality, the woman herself is entirely unattractive regardless of symmetry. Some women feel the same about men.

So in short your answer would be : the most beautiful part of a person is their mind ? No matter of the outer shell, inside is what count's the most?

Zero Phoenix

So in short your answer would be : the most beautiful part of a person is their mind ? No matter of the outer shell, inside is what count's the most?
Precisely my dear. As a Machiavellian Man, as Zero Phoenix, what is most important to me is what's inside. You tend to meet quite a few shallow girls in college and while many of whom that I met were physically, superficially "attractive" the only ones I did not find ugly were those who were beautiful on the inside. But I wouldn't say the beauty of the mind is what I go for first.

This is the way Zero Phoenix sets it up:
1) Heart
2) Mind
3) Body

I could easily date a dumb girl who isn't the most beautiful Belle of the ball so long as her heart is "love." My concept of beauty is based on what is in the heart. If you know a persons heart then you know their soul. If their heart is beautiful their soul is beautiful and that is really all that matters.

Of course like any guy I'd rather be with a woman who is beautiful on all levels but it's what in her heart I look for the most. Though I suppose that if I follow Kaze-dono's logic I am looking for a symmetrical woman, but as Zero Phoenix the symmetry I look for is different from what someone else might. If symmetry is harmony as Kaze-dono puts it, then it stands to reason that if I find harmony within a womans heart I would find her beautiful.

[A friend of mine from college categorizes beauty in the reverse order I did above (Body, Mind, Heart).]

Arachna

Spider
Staff member
It too often happens that beauty is more admired and flattered than any quality of mind or character.
True beauty does not always attract public observation. It is that which not only has a substance, but a spirit.

Outward, or physical beauty is overestimated by the world, while they underrate the value of inward beauty of soul.
I think A plain person may be as truly pleasing as a handsome one.

But in general. The world’s definition of beauty is constantly changing. And it seems females suffer so much. To make themself attractive or "beautiful".
Society's perception of "what looks good" has changed so much from 1968 to now.
Marilyn Monroe is still considered one of the top beauty icons of all time. Marilyn was 5'5 and wore a size 8-10. She would be considered a plus-size model today if she were to be accepted into the industry at all.

I believe everyone has something beautiful in or on them. Cos,what's beautiful to you may not be beautiful to someone else, and just because a group of people in this area of the world think that skinny is the most beautiful body type does not mean that you need to think so too. To me, beauty is not even the right word, because beauty is something internal that exudes past the physical.
It can be a shown in the voice. Or a smile.Or glitter you can see in the eyes of the person when she/he opens their soul to you. To me. Even something people find creepy is beautiful.

People tend to set their eyes solely on what shows on the outside of a person rather than their inside.

And I find that attitude to be very arrogant and repulsive.

But I suppose that's the world we live in so nothing much can change the way people think/judge.

Zero Phoenix

But in general. The world’s definition of beauty is constantly changing. And it seems females suffer so much. To make themself attractive or "beautiful".
I wonder about that. It seems to me that women spend too much time allowing society to determine how they think, look, feel, and act. I thought that the entire point of the so-called "Feminist" movement was so that a woman can define her own existence without being confined to the guidelines and norms set down by society. I don't mean to sound cruel but if it comes out that way so be it. If women don't want to have so much pressure on them to look and dress a certain way then stop giving in to society's pressure.

Brands like Maybelline, magazines like Vogue, countless television networks, and marketing campaigns that stereotype women and labor upon them products and services to "make" them beautiful wouldn't have the power they do if women didn't allow them to take such a hold over their lives.

noex1337

Emmie was here
I wonder about that. It seems to me that women spend too much time allowing society to determine how they think, look, feel, and act. I thought that the entire point of the so-called "Feminist" movement was so that a woman can define her own existence without being confined to the guidelines and norms set down by society. I don't mean to sound cruel but if it comes out that way so be it. If women don't want to have so much pressure on them to look and dress a certain way then stop giving in to society's pressure.

Brands like Maybelline, magazines like Vogue, countless television networks, and marketing campaigns that stereotype women and labor upon them products and services to "make" them beautiful wouldn't have the power they do if women didn't allow them to take such a hold over their lives.
It's been quite a while since I could say I agree with you.

Zero Phoenix

It's been quite a while since I could say I agree with you.
I'm so honored. :shrug:

Truth be told I was actually hoping that I didn't go too far in that one. Still it's the same with us guys too. Granted we're less pressured than say, the females but society expects us to look, dress, and act a certain way as well.

noex1337

Emmie was here
I'm so honored. :shrug:

Truth be told I was actually hoping that I didn't go too far in that one. Still it's the same with us guys too. Granted we're less pressured than say, the females but society expects us to look, dress, and act a certain way as well.
I believe Dori made that same point back on MF. It's not just women, men too feel the stigma of looking like muscle bound idiots or they're not attractive. I can't say I haven't felt it before. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with exercise, but some people just take it too far.

Arachna

Spider
Staff member
Well actually. You didn't.

I see your point there. However i do feel a constant pressure of the people around me to look as it is "fit" to look. In order to attract the attention in the most positive way.
I can not say that it a bad thing. But there still is a *pressure* that media do imposes on us.

Zero Phoenix

I believe Dori made that same point back on MF. It's not just women, men too feel the stigma of looking like muscle bound idiots or they're not attractive. I can't say I haven't felt it before. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with exercise, but some people just take it too far.
THE GAME

Talk about pressure. Even I'm not that fit.