The Credibility of Wikipedia

-lexus-

Visions of Hell
[quote name='ZERO PHOENIX']Credible citations helps their case more than it does Wikipedia. :shrug:[/QUOTE]

Wikipedia has those as well. At least, when it is a good article, they cite their citations and give the source to where they found it from.

The only problem with Wikipedia though, is when they cite from e-journals or other online sources. Some of those tend to move, and if its a citation from a source found some years ago, there is a good chance that its gone.

For example, I could have provided more links in the Bin Laden death justice thread was it not from the fact that half of the sources turned out to be dead links :\

Zero Phoenix

The Second Coming of Hazama
He cannot be taught.

[quote name=''[lexus'];91859']Wikipedia has those as well. At least, when it is a good article, they cite their citations and give the source to where they found it from.

The only problem with Wikipedia though, is when they cite from e-journals or other online sources. Some of those tend to move, and if its a citation from a source found some years ago, there is a good chance that its gone.

For example, I could have provided more links in the Bin Laden death justice thread was it not from the fact that half of the sources turned out to be dead links :\[/QUOTE]

Which is why I said "credible" [lexus]. :-.-: You still haven't learned how to read a dictionary. That's messed up.

Biomega

Net Ronin Of All Trades
[quote name='ZERO PHOENIX']Which is why I said "credible" [lexus]. :-.-: You still haven't learned how to read a dictionary. That's messed up.[/QUOTE]According to my handy-dandy dictionary, "credible" is often confused for "creditable".

Zero Phoenix

The Second Coming of Hazama
[quote name='Biomega']According to my handy-dandy dictionary, "credible" is often confused for "creditable".[/QUOTE]

Fascinating. But don't confuse the lad anymore than he already is. :shrug:

-lexus-

Visions of Hell
[quote name='ZERO PHOENIX']Which is why I said "credible" [lexus]. :-.-: You still haven't learned how to read a dictionary. That's messed up.[/QUOTE]

Oh so youre saying Wikipedia never has any credible sources?

Wikipedia, is it trustworthy?

In the past there was known to be a few cases where people would get tricked from going on Wikipedia and copy paste the information that was available for the specific topic. In the old days, all information could be edited by everyone. Today there is a system that locked different subjects to be locked when complete. Of course this is limited to the selected language.

But what is your thoughts on the matter?

Is Wikipedia an unreliable source of information or is it legit and a good source of information, that you can trust.

Wikipedia is a credible source of information, but if your actually after information, and don't actually care to check with other sources of information whether its true or not, then its the person at fault... The Wikipedia have never let me down before, and it never will. The fact is there is more then hundreds of moderators that read through the changes thats been made on the website checking for errors or false information. Only a fool who trusts the rumors thats been spread about it, would deny it as a legit and credible source. Since first off all, he already failed for trusting rumors and second, there are stupid people in this world. The fact that unfinished pages can be edited by anyone is since everything was made by people sharing they're knowledge about the different subject.

In a short summary, people who deny Wikipedia as a legit source of information obviously don't know how it works.

Begin the discussion people, and keep it clean ^^

Kaze Araki

Libertarian Communist
In my opinion, Wikipedia itself is not trustworthy as such that in serious debates, people tend to stay away from quoting it. That being said, Wikipedia is extremely helpful for me to locate sources so that I can check on their validity myself. So, to answer the questions from my point of view;

- Is Wikipedia an unreliable source of information?

It is unreliable for direct quote.

But it serve as a good place to locate sources for me.

- is it legit and a good source of information, that you can trust?

It is illegitimate (due to unreliability).

But it is a good place to get the general idea regarding any topic.