Sup

Canabary

Administrator
[quote name='Sanae' timestamp='1307086366' post='144856']

*Peeks into thread*

It's nice to meet, you Abarnes ^__^ Thanks for making us all feel welcomed here at G2 (and the rest of you G2Mins) ^^

Kaze

An upgrade to vB would be great
Although, maybe stay away from vB 4 ^^ vB 4 seems to be bulkier then the other versions, but with media, it's even more so laggy

Lets see if we can't help with all that was in demand from other board:

-Page Auto Reload Post

-New Post Counter

-Date and Time under Username in upper right corner

Customize Profile Page

-View VM conversation

-Default Text Color, Font, and size

-Reply To All (Mass PM's)

-User Tagging (much like Twitter)

-Quick Quoting

-Fast Image Posting

-Live Topics

-Named Spoilers

-Music In Profile

-Auto Resize Images

-Media Players (youtube, daily motion, college humor, blip tv, IGN, MP2 tag)

-Random BBcodes (horizonal line, tab, text typer, no parse, rainbow tex)

-Arcade

-IRC (Chatbox would be nice)

I think those are pretty much the big ones.. I may be forgetting some things, so feel free ad add on ^__^ Err, I'm missing something.. On the tip of my tongue...

Question: How hard would it be to switch to vB? Not just the forums, but the main site with the media o.o?

[/quote]

There's a reason why we didn't do that in the initial merge. All of that, with the exception of Live Topics can be added to IPB with relative ease.

Basically since Boyd and I are the ones who have to do all the coding, it's not going to happen (baring something crazy by Alan)

VivaLaDementia

Yea, Its been a ride...
There is a reason that the forum isn't VB already, you don't think Emmie already tried to figure out how to make it work? (As well as the two tech admins? lol)

Anyway, nice to meet you abarnes, good to see this site's founder doesn't view themselves as above the "common" people, unlike some others *cough*Noez/Kabii*cough* >__>"

Thanks for having us~

abarnes

Staff member
Ha,

To tell the truth, Kabigon w/e he wants to be named these days...Percy was G2 staff and didn't do much, I'm not even sure he knows how to run a website let alone a server...

But yeah, I'm not like that I like talking to the members, I have some of G2's older members on my msn and aim and I still talk to them every once and a while.

Only thing that stops me from being around a lot is the fact that I work now >_< but! that means more servers, etc.. for the site so there's an upside to me not being around...between work and my girl I haven't been able to actually be hands on with G2 sorry for this.

And the VB thing, yea Emmie was pushing a hardline on that for the longest, it's a hard conversion for the site, but we can do our best to match the plugins that VB held.

Sanae

Staff member
[quote name='boyd' timestamp='1307111394' post='145061']

Moving to vB with the site will be very hard since there is no system what IPB has, will have to recode the whole site to make things work.

[/quote]

That's what I was afraid of >_< I guess we make the best of what's available then, neh ^^? I know you guys are working as it is already ^^

I hope what I said before didn't come off wrong
That wasn't my intent at all :\

Kaze Araki

Libertarian Communist
[quote name='VivaLaDementia' timestamp='1307120470' post='145166']There is a reason that the forum isn't VB already, you don't think Emmie already tried to figure out how to make it work? (As well as the two tech admins? lol)[/quote]

Lol, there's a reason why I posted the request as well.

You don't think I've figured out what you think, don't you?

Canabary

Administrator
[quote name='Sanae' timestamp='1307140171' post='145442']

That's what I was afraid of >_< I guess we make the best of what's available then, neh ^^? I know you guys are working as it is already ^^

I hope what I said before didn't come off wrong
That wasn't my intent at all :\

[/quote]

As I said, there's absolutely nothing, bar live topics (Requires a type of Javascript coding I'm not familiar with), that I can't add to the forum. You will also find that there are quite a few possbilities with IPB that Vbulletin simply doesn't have. All in all the differences are minimal, and whatever you had on Vbulletin was never included in the forum software it was added step by step by Emmie.

Difference with IPB simply being that members are requesting things to be more or less exactly like the Vbulletin versions. Which means that all the code being added has to be written from scratch by me. To put it in perspective, most mods take several weeks and months to be made, I'm attempting to write these modifications in the matter of days.

Changing to Vbulletin requires us to redo the entire site more or less from scratch, rewriting several thousand lines of code, creating new systems for just about everything on the site and completely change the way we add, edit and show the media, manga, movies and use the member system on the site. Anyone who thinks Vbulletin is "better" than IPB have no idea of what IPB can actually do.

Kaze Araki

Libertarian Communist
To clarify things; no one is claiming vB is better than IPB, both are customizable, thus pretty much can do most of the same things. To quote Canabary; "Anyone who thinks Vbulletin is "better" than IPB have no idea of what IPB can actually do. " (not to mention that IPB is also cheaper). I was initially looking at the possibility of whether an upgrade to vB is possible, which abarnes seems to imply that it can. Now, I don't know that the relationship between the main site and IPB requires a complete rewrite of everything - so there goes the possibility.

As for the reason why I was looking at the possibility;

"To put it in perspective, most mods take several weeks and months to be made,"

That pretty much summarize the reason, and I've said it as well in post #18. Coupled with Mommy's new rule and abarnes presence, I was thinking; "hey, why don't I just give it a shot?"

There's seriously no ill intent in any of my post, I was simply thinking from the perspective of a mere moderator and his tiny section.

Canabary

Administrator
[quote name='Kaze Araki' timestamp='1307157231' post='145742']

To clarify things; no one is claiming vB is better than IPB, both are customizable, thus pretty much can do most of the same things. To quote Canabary; "Anyone who thinks Vbulletin is "better" than IPB have no idea of what IPB can actually do. " (not to mention that IPB is also cheaper). I was initially looking at the possibility of whether an upgrade to vB is possible, which abarnes seems to imply that it can. Now, I don't know that the relationship between the main site and IPB requires a complete rewrite of everything - so there goes the possibility.

As for the reason why I was looking at the possibility;

That pretty much summarize the reason, and I've said it as well in post #18. Coupled with Mommy's new rule and abarnes presence, I was thinking; "hey, why don't I just give it a shot?"

There's seriously no ill intent in any of my post, I was simply thinking from the perspective of a mere moderator and his tiny section.

[/quote]

As I said, usually it takes several weeks and months, but I'm doing the same changes to IPB (Minus the fancy install packs) in the matter of days.

I appologize if I come across as cross or short, but I am spending more hours than I should coding, in fact considering the ammount of work both Boyd and I do it easily constitutes as a second job. Simply binning several weeks of coding simply rub me the wrong way, and although I understand that you don't have any idea of the work that would be required and has already been done, I have to admitt it annoys me when people seem to want to bin everything.

Kaze Araki

Libertarian Communist
I have to apologize before hand, but I don't think you understand what I'm saying, and it's kinda annoy me to repeat the same thing for the third time. If you read post #18, that is before you even posted here, I said;

Actually, IP is not bad, but all the improvements will take quite some amount of times, while in the mean time it's hard for me to invites people over when the forum is not yet that appealing. But this is just my opinion though.

Which is exactly what you said later;

Now, I don't know for sure what you mean by " and although I understand that you don't have any idea of the work that would be required and has already been done", since I do know (easily inferred) and that's the very reason why I request abarnes for the upgrade. What I don't know is that the upgrade will require a complete rewrite of everything (otherwise, I wouldn't have asked).

Now, although I can understand your annoyance, but I have to correct you here; I have no intention to bin everything since I do know the difficulty involved. If the basic alone is already fully functioning, I would already be very happy about it - but it's not. Now, before you go on tangent and get the wrong idea again, I'm not blaming you for it either, because I do know the difficulty involved. And that's the very reason why I am looking for the possible upgrade to vB so that at least I can get all the basic function running.

Bottom line is, abarnes asked for request. Well, I don't request media, but I request vB. If that is something that you think is wrong, than I'm sorry. I'm not going to voice anything anymore for the sake of political correctness. However, if you feel you're annoyed by my simple request, try to think of the annoyance from my part as well.

Canabary

Administrator
[quote name='Kaze Araki' timestamp='1307202295' post='146126']

I have to apologize before hand, but I don't think you understand what I'm saying, and it's kinda annoy me to repeat the same thing for the third time. If you read post #18, that is before you even posted here, I said;

Actually, IP is not bad, but all the improvements will take quite some amount of times, while in the mean time it's hard for me to invites people over when the forum is not yet that appealing. But this is just my opinion though.

Which is exactly what you said later;

Now, I don't know for sure what you mean by " and although I understand that you don't have any idea of the work that would be required and has already been done", since I do know (easily inferred) and that's the very reason why I request abarnes for the upgrade. What I don't know is that the upgrade will require a complete rewrite of everything (otherwise, I wouldn't have asked).

Now, although I can understand your annoyance, but I have to correct you here; I have no intention to bin everything since I do know the difficulty involved. If the basic alone is already fully functioning, I would already be very happy about it - but it's not. Now, before you go on tangent and get the wrong idea again, I'm not blaming you for it either, because I do know the difficulty involved. And that's the very reason why I am looking for the possible upgrade to vB so that at least I can get all the basic function running.

Bottom line is, abarnes asked for request. Well, I don't request media, but I request vB. If that is something that you think is wrong, than I'm sorry. I'm not going to voice anything anymore for the sake of political correctness. However, if you feel you're annoyed by my simple request, try to think of the annoyance from my part as well.

[/quote]

But I'm doing the same changes to IPB (Minus the fancy install packs) in the matter of days.

I've already made 4 or 5 custom modifications in the past week. Changing to Vbulletin will not do anyhting to change the rate of modification adding either as they would have to be added and incorporated again, they do not come readily installed with Vbulletin.

Kaze Araki

Libertarian Communist
Do you includes VMs and PMs function within the list of fancy install packs? Now, I don't know this for sure, but I would be extremely surprised if the VMs and PMs function is not readily installed in vB. In any case, there's no point to prolong this any longer since the move to vB is already pointed out as not possible.