Would you date the person above?

[quote name='insane-azn']Nope, you can technically use 'them' to describe a singular subject. Also, there is no set rule for names such as Grammar Nazi, since it isn't even a technical term. If it counts for anything, I am on my iPod so i often omit capitals...[/QUOTE]

It's more of a phrasing error. If you say "You don't date 'with' someone, you date them", you're not bringing out the emphasis of the statement correctly. The point of the statement is that with a small omitation of the word "with", the statement becomes grammatically correct. The point of repeating the phrase, first with the error, and second without, is to show the difference. Thus, it is more correct to keep all the original words used in the beginning phrase (You, date, someone) in order to emphasize the fact.

Also, no.

Notorious

Colonel H Stinkmeaner
[quote name='Hadriel']

It's more of a phrasing error. If you say "You don't date 'with' someone, you date them", you're not bringing out the emphasis of the statement correctly. The point of the statement is that with a small omitation of the word "with", the statement becomes grammatically correct. The point of repeating the phrase, first with the error, and second without, is to show the difference. Thus, it is more correct to keep all the original words used in the beginning phrase (You, date, someone) in order to emphasize the fact.

Also, no.
[/QUOTE]

Thing is, grammar is sometimes slightly altered for conveniences' sake. Repeating the word 'someone' twice is a little awkward, hence I used 'them'. I know it's not perfect, but I bet I could pick out numerous instances where grammar is sacrificed for convenience's sake.

[quote name='insane-azn']Thing is, grammar is sometimes slightly altered for conveniences' sake. Repeating the word 'someone' twice is a little awkward, hence I used 'them'. I know it's not perfect, but I bet I could pick out numerous instances where grammar is sacrificed for convenience's sake.[/QUOTE]

The point is that, for clarity's sake you should keep it identical.

Like,

You don't date "with" someone,

You date someone!

The emphasis is on the bolded words, so a change of the unemphasized words is going to make listeners detract from the emphasized words, so the message is not effectively relayed.

Notorious

Colonel H Stinkmeaner
[quote name='Hadriel']

The point is that, for clarity's sake you should keep it identical.

Like,

You don't date "with" someone,

You date someone!

The emphasis is on the bolded words, so a change of the unemphasized words is going to make listeners detract from the emphasized words, so the message is not effectively relayed.
[/QUOTE]

Oh really? Well there's nothing else I was talking about before, so it's a no-brainer that I am talking about "someone" as the subject here.

Btw, if you're still trying to establish yourself as the no.1 grammar nazi, you've done so a long time ago, so dw.

[quote name='Hadriel']

The point of the statement is that with a small omission of the word "with", the statement becomes grammatically correct.
[/QUOTE]

Just felt like doing this ^~^

=\ You people should really do my English homework for me. I have trouble following your conversation. o.o

I'd only date you if you were paying. =D