Should assisted suicde be legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are your thoughts on this subect? Are you for or against?

Personally i don't see the problem with it, if someone wishes to end their life and are unable to do so they should be allowed assistance.

Emeralda

Pistis Sophia
It's people's choice, really. If someone is permanently paralysed or stuck with life support till the end of their short lives, I'd ask for the same after a while. It's a life of misery and burdening others. The only problem I could see, is that no one wants to to help them finish their misery, because they are too scared to handle the burden of ending ones life. It's not euthanasia that is wrong in my opinion, but being too weak willed to pull off the plug and hiding behind the cover of ethics.

Emeralda said:
The only problem I could see, is that no one wants to to help them finish their misery, because they are too scared to handle the burden of ending ones life.

That's why it should be done by professional doctors, and to stop it from being abused. Of course friends and family would be allowed to be present as it happens if they wish.

Sanae

Staff member
I could sit here and say it's wrong and it shouldn't be done, but there's many situations that may call for such actions. Such as the one Emmie mentioned. Ofc, confirmation from doctors would be nice just to be sure.

I'm not trying to compare human life with an pet's life (as much as it may seem.. >_>), but aren't vets doctors who "put down" (end the life) of a suffering pet's life? No one seems to have a hissy fit about that. Is it because pets aren't able to say anything? Isn't this a similar situation?

It's up to the person really.. They just have to be hella sure this is what they want. If not, can't really blame it on the doc :-? That probably didn't answer the question. I guess I'm neutral.

Disclaimer: None of this was meant to come off wrong lol

What people already said: doctors helping people in pain I don't really have a problem with.

Then again, I have a very flexible religion considering I make it up myself.

Nightmare Gear

de capa y espada
I'm against it, I think assistants is not needed for a suicide otherwise its just murder.

If they are unable to kill themselves> they better be a vegetable in the mind/paraplegic before asking voluntary euthanasia.

My 2 cents.

Banchou

Fighting The Cold hands of Time
Staff member
Nightmare Gear said:
If they are unable to kill themselves

kinda hard not to say useless there if the mess up killing them selves

but i dnt think someone should help someone comment suicide jst seems wrong

Emeralda

Pistis Sophia
We're not talking about suicide, Kage used a bad word for that. We're talking about euthanasia.

Nightmare Gear - this is the case, you're a veggie, but in a way that you're trapped in a body with conscious mind. How long will it take to lose your mind? You can just stare into empty space with short intervals when someone visits you. And such events will happen less and less often. You just want to die, inside you scream and beg to end your... no, not life, more like torture. If you think that staring into an empty spot on the ceiling for years to come is interesting, burdening your family with huge bills for changing your diapers, than go ahead, be my guest. In such cases "assistance" is needed. I mean, isn't it hilarious how you say that "vegetables" don't need assistance?

Nightmare Gear

de capa y espada
Emeralda said:
We're not talking about suicide, Kage used a bad word for that. We're talking about euthanasia.

Nightmare Gear - this is the case, you're a veggie, but in a way that you're trapped in a body with conscious mind. How long will it take to lose your mind? You can just stare into empty space with short intervals when someone visits you. And such events will happen less and less often. You just want to die, inside you scream and beg to end your... no, not life, more like torture. If you think that staring into an empty spot on the ceiling for years to come is interesting, burdening your family with huge bills for changing your diapers, than go ahead, be my guest. In such cases "assistance" is needed. I mean, isn't it hilarious how you say that "vegetables" don't need assistance?

I'm actually down for Non-voluntary euthanasia for those ppl. lol

well to simply put euthanasia to me is needed only extreme cases

Buried Under Ice

B R E A T H L E S S
Euthanasia/Assisted Suicide doesn't always coincide. Euthanasia is commonly known as "mercy killing", and while the two can be the same in some instances and have similarities, they have their differences.

I am against euthanasia unless those trying to assist the person are past the point that they can. If someone is on life support for years and years on end to the point that it eats up their family's financials to the point that they cannot support themselves, it is fine. Same with long term cancer patients who become to tired to keep fighting, only in this case I feel more comfortable with the "let them die" situation more than actually speeding up the process. If in a war/battle a person is injured past the point of recovery and they specifically state they want to be put out of pain, it is also fine- however only by a soldier/civilian, not a doctor..

On the other hand, if it is not the above situations- say a family member is unable to speak for themselves, or are disabled in some way (as some victims of euthanasia are) I would be very much against it. We cannot determine if their lives are worth going on. It is not our place to determine such things.

As for assisted suicide, I agree with it in much of the situations of above. However, if one is simply tired of living and continuing with life, they are just as morally responsible as other suicide victims who harmed their family- no matter the age. They are just (to put it harshly) too cowardly to do it themselves. It's not really a matter of should it be allowed, but rather should others be made to help them. That's the real issue. If doctors have to start assisting with suicide, it violates quite a few bits of patient/doctor trust, as well as doctor's morals to a certain extent. To require someone to assist with another's death is a bit to much. Furthermore, it would become difficult to stop some cases of abuse of that privilege. And even furthermore, it does not change the fact that suicide alone is considered illegal in certain countries, and that adding another into the equation is much like having another person assisting in another crime.

Basically everyone believes that euthanizing someone should only be done during certain cases and otherwise people shouldn't die correct? Well, my opinion on assisted suicide is a bit different. If someone were to kill themselves, it would negatively influence the community, thus, not only are you helping someones life you are also helping influence negative emotions within a society. As well, many people who knew the person would be affected. Some more than others. Someone shouldn't die just for themselves, but rather take into consideration that it would affect others in a negative manner, just to subside the pain.

That's why we've got kush.

I've always believed that it should be legalized. First if I want to die and not lie still in a bed living on machines looking at the roof, why shouldnt I be allowed to? My grandpa was in an elder home hospital for 3-4 years, since he had Alzheimer. The last year of his life he was in constant pain, over-drugged and overly paranoid and scarred... the look in his eye made me want to puke and slap the nurses who made him live through that suffering for a whole year.

Suicide is a personal choice.Maybe Emotionally or Psychologically.

It's Morally wrong if you are a Catholic/Christian. I'm not sure if it's okay with other religions too.

If we are talking about euthanasia or mercy killing, which I think is the more precise topic on this one.

if the family of that person doesn't have the courage to see their family member suffer anymore like in a coma then I think they should do what they think what it's right.not morally or connected to religion but think about what the person inside that body feels if he/she can see his/her family suffering because of him.

but on the other hand, it's kind of selfish for the other side to just end someone's life cause they think it's right.

I think some countries practice Euthanasia but in the presence or with consent of the family.

I'm against suicide, assisted or not. Sure, people have the right to kill themselves, but in no way should they have the right to emotionally affect those around them as well. Most people who commit suicide don't see that by doing so they are dragging down their friends and loved ones. In the case of assisted suicide, why should you help someone else die when you can help them live? People who tell others that they will commit suicide are usually looking for someone to stop them, and we should.

As for euthanasia, given the many differing situations, it is impossible to give an objective answer. If I'm not wrong, recently, some people suggested that governments make it mandatory for people to decide and officialize whether they want to be euthanized or not if they are in a state where they can no longer think for themselves. That would be the best solution for now.

Buried Under Ice

B R E A T H L E S S
Kulitman said:
It's Morally wrong if you are a Catholic/Christian. I'm not sure if it's okay with other religions too.
It's not just a religious things, though a lot of it coincides due to society today being based in several religious factions. More over, it's the idea of taking a life, even your own, and hurting the ones left. In no case are there people who are not hurt by a suicide due to the fact that sucides are a personal choice. It means they see no reason to continue in the world, making those who were close to them feel guilty they could not help nor stop them.

I don't believe in the religious factor at all. To send someone to hell because they don't want to live anymore, while extremely ironic, is just cruel when you think about it in a sense. People who commit suicide either loose all interest in the world, or the world has become their own 'personal hell'.

If we are talking about euthanasia or mercy killing, which I think is the more precise topic on this one.

if the family of that person doesn't have the courage to see their family member suffer anymore like in a coma then I think they should do what they think what it's right.not morally or connected to religion but think about what the person inside that body feels if he/she can see his/her family suffering because of him.
I don't think in most cases they can. In most cases the family isn't worrying about their own suffering, or rather the patients in regards to theirs, but getting the patient better. That's why most cases are just pulling off life support instead of out right killing. The person could not support themselves on their own anymore, only through machinery, and there was no sign of getting better. The closest to what you are implying are patients that begin to refuse treatment because they either do not want to see people suffer, or they do not see recovery as possible anymore.

but on the other hand, it's kind of selfish for the other side to just end someone's life cause they think it's right.
Indeed.

Hadriel said:
I'm against suicide, assisted or not. Sure, people have the right to kill themselves, but in no way should they have the right to emotionally affect those around them as well. Most people who commit suicide don't see that by doing so they are dragging down their friends and loved ones. In the case of assisted suicide, why should you help someone else die when you can help them live? People who tell others that they will commit suicide are usually looking for someone to stop them, and we should.
Agreed. Completely.

As for euthanasia, given the many differing situations, it is impossible to give an objective answer. If I'm not wrong, recently, some people suggested that governments make it mandatory for people to decide and officialize whether they want to be euthanized or not if they are in a state where they can no longer think for themselves. That would be the best solution for now.
I wouldn't say so. If there is still a way for someone to recover, I would advise against it. Even so, to make anything like deciding one's own death mandatory...it doesn't sit well with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.