Double Slit Experiment[and God]

Rascal

So anyone who is intrigued by quantum mechanics has probably heard of this experiment countless times before. For those who haven't the steps are basically:
- a photon stream is fired at two slits in some sheet such that only one can pass through the slit at a time
- due to the particle/wave nature of light, a pattern of not two, but several stripes of light appear on the screen
- to accomplish this photons have to pass through both slits at the same time :wtf: cool stuff lol
-anyhow, when particle detectors are set up to observe this freaky feat, the photons follow one given path, which changes the pattern on the screen to 2 stripes of light
-when the detectors are not there, the dual placement reoccurs

[and now for something controversial : D ]
so, why does this happen?

- (my personal favorite :smart:) God totally doesn't want humans knowing his secrets so he shall hide them all when we are looking!!! D<

or... O___O photons are cognitive!!!! :nooo:

or.... as most Physicists believe, part of reality is observation, and changing that variable changes the outcome... [speaking of which... how is that possible? see last choice.]

or... maybe there's another element involved that we cannot detect [Einstein tried this one]? though, Bohr argues well against this.

or... and personally, i agree with this, Hugh Everett who says (another quantum mechanics principle) that on the quantum level reality divides every instant .... so for every choice, there is a reality ... but you only can observe in ONE reality, as with a particle detector ...

or... what do you think?

=____________= u ppl suck. i need a science forum....

Xiga

Yes you do. But it sounds i nterestig, and I shall definitely check it up so that i can discuss it. Cause it sounds familiair :c I am just not that smart.

So anyone who is intrigued by quantum mechanics has probably heard of this experiment countless times before. For those who haven't the steps are basically:
- a photon stream is fired at two slits in some sheet such that only one can pass through the slit at a time
- due to the particle/wave nature of light, a pattern of not two, but several stripes of light appear on the screen
- to accomplish this photons have to pass through both slits at the same time :wtf: cool stuff lol
-anyhow, when particle detectors are set up to observe this freaky feat, the photons follow one given path, which changes the pattern on the screen to 2 stripes of light
-when the detectors are not there, the dual placement reoccurs

[and now for something controversial : D ]
so, why does this happen?

- (my personal favorite :smart:) God totally doesn't want humans knowing his secrets so he shall hide them all when we are looking!!! D<

or... O___O photons are cognitive!!!! :nooo:

or.... as most Physicists believe, part of reality is observation, and changing that variable changes the outcome... [speaking of which... how is that possible? see last choice.]

or... maybe there's another element involved that we cannot detect [Einstein tried this one]? though, Bohr argues well against this.

or... and personally, i agree with this, Hugh Everett who says (another quantum mechanics principle) that on the quantum level reality divides every instant .... so for every choice, there is a reality ... but you only can observe in ONE reality, as with a particle detector ...

or... what do you think?

Tell me why you would pick these choices?

Sorry, I don't browse this forum much during lunch or economics, which are the two times you posted.

Anyways, the observation quite clearly has an effect on the outcome (Given that, you know, observing more closely changed the outcome) possibly due to the fact that the only way to observe something is to interact with it in some way. I can't really get much deeper into it though, high school physics isn't enough to delve into scientific quandaries which have yet to be fully understood by anybody.

By the way, have you ever read Pastwatch? They explained the thing where even one photon at a time had interference by saying it's interacting with light in a different universe. Doesn't really add much to observation being the problem, but it was an interesting theory.

Rascal

pastwatch? never heard of it, and interacting with light in a different universe o_O ? explain. [MENTION=40]Kamil[/MENTION]
and yeah ive thought of that, like... depending on the detectors used, it could be that photons from the camera or w/e could be screwing with the experiment... now i want to know how the particle detectors work

[MENTION=1268]The Prince[/MENTION] lol because they were the ones that either amused me or made some sense... or do you want me to go deeper :/ like why they make sense

Rascal

[MENTION=159]-lexus-[/MENTION] yep cept with photons

[MENTION=1268]The Prince[/MENTION], well if all else fails it always works to say God did it right? lol ... anyways, I think for every instance, there exists a reality per choice. like... coming to a fork in the road, in one reality u go right, in the other you go left, but you can only be cognitive in the one that this particular "you" exists in, so that's the only one you can OBSERVE, but its not the only that exists. so like the photons can interact with each other across dimensions , or they can travel between them<<-- someone else introduced that idea to me but never thought about it much, which creates the interference you see on the screen, but you cant see the cause of it because its in another dimension and the detectors can only detect this dimension. ah.... ok everytime i talk about this it confuses me more, i was actually more on a search for someone that could explain it to ME lol

pastwatch? never heard of it, and interacting with light in a different universe o_O ? explain. @Kamil
and yeah ive thought of that, like... depending on the detectors used, it could be that photons from the camera or w/e could be screwing with the experiment... now i want to know how the particle detectors work

@The Prince lol because they were the ones that either amused me or made some sense... or do you want me to go deeper :/ like why they make sense
It's by the same guy as Jurrasic Park I think, and the whole concept is that every possible existance is in some alternate universe, though they aren't exactly "Infinite Parallel Universes" per se because they all obey the same laws. For example, there are universes which started a few hundred years later than ours, but no other changes (That's actually the main point of the book; It's like time travel but without paradoxes). All the universes then interact fairly frequently on a sub-atomic scale, and transfering matter between them involves basically destroying all traces of the original object, then sending some kind of "Multiversal matter language" or something; that part was never explained especially well but arguably it was a prototype discovered on accident and they probably didn't know themselves. Heck, they were trying to figure out teleportation when they found it.

But anyways, relevant to the topic at hand: I mentioned that sub-atomic particles have a lot more interaction with other universes and probably especially close interaction with universes whose differences come down to say the location of a single photon. This is the explanation which describes how the light can only pass through one slit but acts as if interacting with light which went through the other slit. Now, since this strong of an interaction only occurs at incredibly similar universes a universe which had that one change AND a certain electronic device moving several thousand or more electrons in one universe and not the other, that interaction between universes would no longer happen.

Of course, I'm talking about fiction rather than anything actually scientific, and making up my own additions to the fictional science, but it seems reasonable enough to me.

Rascal

Heck, they were trying to figure out teleportation when they found it.
speaking of which has anyone else read much about quantum entanglement ? teleportation might not be as sci-fi as you think ... and is the spell checker messed up or is teleportation really not how its spelled x.x

@-lexus- yep cept with photons

@The Prince , well if all else fails it always works to say God did it right? lol ... anyways, I think for every instance, there exists a reality per choice. like... coming to a fork in the road, in one reality u go right, in the other you go left, but you can only be cognitive in the one that this particular "you" exists in, so that's the only one you can OBSERVE, but its not the only that exists. so like the photons can interact with each other across dimensions , or they can travel between them<<-- someone else introduced that idea to me but never thought about it much, which creates the interference you see on the screen, but you cant see the cause of it because its in another dimension and the detectors can only detect this dimension. ah.... ok everytime i talk about this it confuses me more, i was actually more on a search for someone that could explain it to ME lol
[MENTION=119]Faux Angel[/MENTION]

Never heard that before. Sometimes the best person to explain something to you is yourself. Yea I know , its so cliché.:p

Rascal

[MENTION=159]-lexus-[/MENTION] lol! yesh in some reality u will escape death every time

[MENTION=1268]The Prince[/MENTION] ever heard of Schrödinger's cat? its like that except more than two options