Blood C -Discussion Thread-

Zero Phoenix

The Second Coming of Hazama
Episode 5

Saya is having headaches. Fuumito sees her walking home and invites her to his cafe. I'm getting some serious pedo vibes from Fuumito but given that this is CLAMP I'm not sure if that's his "direction" if you will. In any case he clearly knows too much about Saya's current condition. Saya falls asleep after downing a cup of coffee. Note: Who the hell do you know falls asleep right after drinking coffee? That perv probably put something in her drink. Dad walks in sometime later and sees Fuumito rubbing Saya's hair. Not like in a pedo way but with what appears to be innocent affection. Still, dad has that look on his face. It's a mix of horror and shock like, what did this perv just do with my daughter. Fuumito is cooler than the water in a swimming pool and just tells him that Saya is asleep. Saya and dad go home, Saya then runs out to kill another Elder Bairn. The monster is so arrogant that it spends a portion of the battle just jabbing Saya with a staff. The other monsters didn't screw around because they weren't stupid. Hell the one in the last episode even had hostages and his crew. This particular Elder Bairn attacked Saya alone and tried to screw around. Saya kills this thing with her barehands. The dog shows up and appears as though it will actually talk but Saya gets a headache and passes out. Afterwards Fuumito gives us another one of his narrations and we are taken to Saya's school. It's rainy, gym is cancelled, class tells ghost stories. The hook here is that one of the twins wants to hear a story set in the town because it's only scary if there is a chance that the event in the ghost story will happen to her. The teacher tells a story about the Elder Bairn, Saya passes out from her headache but later wakes up. She's at home doing some research when one of the twins comes to visit her. Saya and NoNo (the twin in question, I think) are talking and this monster comes and attacks her. End scene. Note: Irony is a real bitch isn't it?

Thoughts: Interesting pacing in the latest episode. There is action early on and the rest of the episode sort of serves as wind down time. When you think the episode is going to end on a jovial note for the characters all hell breaks loose. Class rep., Itsuki gets little airtime and even less play. My goodness Saya I know that all girls want the bad boy (Torizane that poser) but come on toss my man a bone. The next episode looks like it's going to be action packed. I failed to mention this before but Saya is remembering her time in the Vietnam War.

Zero Phoenix

Episode 6

So episode 6 picks up exactly where episode 5 left off. Nene went to visit Saya and was attacked by a monster. The creature design is hardly imaginative and looks like a cross between a centipede and a headless giant. It's big, it's mean, but it's design doesn't make it look imposing. So the monster chases Nene and Saya around the shrine. Saya runs to get her sword but before she can clean house Nene gets killed. How does she get killed. Her head gets eaten.

Morbid as it sounds the gruesomeness and suddenness of Nene's death gives Blood-C some bonus points. First of all the trope, "Anyone Can Die" now applies to this anime. Nene wasn't a main character but she still got a good deal of airtime as an extra and wham, she's dead in episode 6. From an artistic standpoint Nene's death was handled wonderfully. Episode 6 opens and you just know Saya is going to save her friend once she gets her hands on the sword. But she doesn't. As soon as Saya reaches the blade she hears a bloodcurdling crunching sound. Nene is already dead and the monster is just snacking. There was no lead-in, no foreshadowing, it just happened. After Saya kills the monster she totally freaks out. She freaks out not just because Nene is dead but because of how horribly she dies. By the end of the battle Saya is sitting in a pool of blood just speechless as she looks down at Nene's headless body. Damn. This isn't some cliche shonen for the kids. This is CLAMP.

In the next scene Saya's dad, Mr. Useless shows up and he tells Saya she needs to rest. She sort of refuses but he uses some form of hypnotism and forces her to sleep, ala the MIB from Dark City ("Sleeeeeep. Now."). Saya is having dreams, she wakes up, Fuumito aka Mr. Pedo is outside her room and asks if he can come in. Saya lets Mr. Pedo in who gives her some coffee under the excuse that he was checking up on her. He says something cryptic and Saya has visions or something I don't remember.

Saya's dad tells her to stay home but she wants to go to school and so she does. She gets there and the class is relieved because Nene hasn't returned home and they were worried about Saya in this regard. Saya doesn't have to worry about explaining the situation of Nene's death because Nono is missing too. Not only that but a lot of people are missing and the police have informed the heads at the school to close it until they get more info about these disappearances. My issue with this is that it's all too convenient for our main character. Part of the appeal of any story is when the protagonist has to achieve something when situations within the world do not acclimate to them.

If this were Naruto where the entire world and every conflict in it pampered the main character I could ignore it. However, this is Blood-C, a CLAMP title and anyone familiar with CLAMP's works knows that the heroes have to bust their asses to achieve even meager victories. Why? Because the world is cruel and sadistic and nothing comes easy for those who do good. The virtuous are lambs to a slaughter because that's how the world works. However, these disappearances, i.e. the constructs of the world of Blood-C actually worked for Saya in that she doesn't have to explain how Nene died, why it happened while she was with Nene, or anything of a sort. It's almost as if the world itself said, "Hey Saya, you have a lot on your plate so here is a free pass." Now you might be thinking, "Why is ZERO PHOENIX reading so much into this?" As a professional things like this stand out to me. The appeal of the hero is that they overcome overwhelming obstacles to succeed in what they aim to do. Episode 6 didn't give Saya any huge hurdles to overcome so it's almost as though she is achieving without doing. That would be fine if wu-wei was a mainstay of CLAMP's titles but it's not, hitsuzen is. In most of CLAMP's titles the characters have obstacles to overcome so that they might fulfill a predestined path. Again, it's almost though these disappearances worked for Saya's favor rather than her foil.

The teacher dismisses the class and tells Saya to be careful. Clearly the teacher knows about Saya's extra-curricular activities. So Saya is going home and she's thinking about everything that has happened. She then says that she promises to protect everyone. A voice asks her, "Who did you make that promise to?" Saya looks around and only sees that weird puppy from the previous episodes. Saya shakes her head, presuming she's hallucinating and says, "No, it couldn't be you." The puppy responds, "What if it was?" By this point I'm assuming the puppy is a spirit beast similar to Kero from Cardcaptor Sakura. At that moment Saya sees Nono, the twin who was alive and who had went missing. Nono is asking Saya what happened to Nene. During this time Nono's shadow stretches, grows, and even comes off the ground and starts killing people.

The uneducated dregs are going to be all like it's a poor creature design and Blood-C sucks blah blah. However, it is important to remember that the Japanese believe in the concept of a "grudge." Not that horrible ass Americanized movie but a "grudge." It is a cultural belief of the Japanese as well as a mainstay of CLAMP's titles that a person who possesses a grudge may also have that grudge manifest. The grudge typically manifests in the living person as a shadow or some unseen force. In this case it's a shadow. It's a shadow because shadows are the darkness a person carries with them anyway. The grudge could be towards another person whom they blame for a slight against them. A person can even hold a grudge against themselves.

In this case Nono blames Saya for Nene's disappearance because well, Nene did disappear or rather die after visiting Saya. So Nono's grudge is killing everyone in the area and then finally attacks Saya. Typically a person bearing "the grudge" lashes out at everyone and everything until they discern the focus of their grudge. Such is the reason Nono's shadow attacked and killed all the people around her before attacking Saya. So Saya fights the thing which in typical Saya fashion means getting it about as bad as she's giving it. She hesitates when she sees the shadow monster, that is the grudge consume Nono. Saya allows the monster to consume her in hopes of saving Nono from the inside. Nono is hanging on a giant spiderweb.

More insight from the one and only ZERO PHOENIX. The Japanese also believe that the grudge of a spider is worse than the grudge of a typical human. Most spiders live in their web, use their web to catch and store food, mate in the web, and have their babies in the web. The web is the entire livelihood of a spider. To humans though webs are an eyesore. Furthermore it might take a spider days to make a web while humans can destroy all that hard work in only a second. So, it is said that a spiders grudge is a terrible thing to behold. The demon Jorgumand is typically portrayed as a female spider who often kills people out of revenge, typically for the transgressions committed against her children. So Nono hanging from a spiderweb is rather appropriate.

Saya cuts Nono free and the shadow monster wigs out and then explodes soaking the entire block in blood. Saya is looking for Nono. Nono isn't hard to find because she's everywhere: the sidewalk, the streets, the walls of shops, oh look she's in the mailbox. Turns out that once Nono was consumed by the shadow monster i.e., her grudge she became the manifestation of her own hatred. When Saya killed the monster she was actually killing Nono. The reality of all this hits Saya hard and she freaks out. The puppy tells Saya to wake up, end scene. Damn Saya, I am so sorry about that the world is accommodating you thing. That was a mindfreak. Where is daddy when you really need a hug?

Pros: Nice to see CLAMP integrating more of their themes and symbols into Blood-C. I'm also pleased to see more Japanese folklore, very nice. The art is beautiful as always. TWO gruesome character deaths in ONE episode, CLAMP is getting serious. This is reminiscent of X-1999 only without the gays.

Cons: Apart from those two character deaths not much happened. The ending is a headscratcher even for CLAMP connosueirs like myself. Why was the puppy telling Saya to wake up? Were the last two episodes merely dreams? Does it want Saya to permanently change into a vampire?

Zero Phoenix

Episode 7

Episode 7 opens up with Saya in the temple mourning the loss of both the twins while her old man is outside talking to the police. The cop doesn't sense anything amiss but he does warn Saya's old man to keep an eye on his daughter because of everything that has been going on lately. Papa Useless goes into the temple and makes a very half-assed attempt at consoling his daughter. His only real aim appears to be to strengthen Saya's resolve and get her to kill the Elder Bairn. It's fairly apparent that Saya might not be able to trust her own father but this will be explored later on. Saya eventually goes to sleep but has visions which awaken her from her slumber. She goes for a walk along the temple grounds when she comes across that eerie puppy that has been stalking her since episode one. For long-time CLAMP fans this part here is the high-point of the episode and an extremely important element in Blood-C.

The puppy talks to Saya and she realizes that she wasn't hearing things. Saya senses an "extraordinary" amount of power coming from the puppy but she's also aware that he/it is holding a lot of power back. She knows it's not an Elder Bairn because she can't sense any evil. The puppy asks her what makes her so sure he merely isn't hiding his evil aura. Saya can't explain it but she's sure the puppy isn't a threat. He seems to accept that and they continue their discussion. It turns out that the puppy isn't actually a puppy at all but the owner of a shop that grants wishes. Someone wished for Saya to be protected and to fulfill that wish he traveled to the town where Saya currently lives. There is a limit to how much he can intervene and one such limit is the form he is able to take.

I was overjoyed at this admission because as a fan of CLAMP for some 15 years, I can spot their characters in any work. The puppy is actually Watanuuki from xxxHolic. When we last left xxxHolic, Watanuuki took over the shop after Yuuko died. While he was versed in the supernatural he was still very much a normal human. Since xxxHolic, it would seem that Watanuuki has become tremendously powerful. Not only is he able to grant wishes, but he can cross over into other worlds and even change his form. He is in Saya's world to protect her.

After the puppy (who we know as Watanuuki) tells Saya he is there to watch over her, he puts her in a trance and she later awakens in her room the next morning. Papa Useless tells her to keep her sword on her at all times and Mr. Pedo fixes Saya a lunch. Saya goes to school and finds that it is still closed. However, her homeroom teacher is there and she shares her regrets about what happened to Nene and Nono. It would seem that the teacher believes that she might have invited disaster on the town by speaking of the Elder Bairn. Of course it seems that the homeroom teacher knows a lot more than she lets on. Saya leaves school and is attacked by an Elder Bairn. Like the monster before him, this Elder Bairn is wondering what happened to the old Saya who soundly defeated him long ago. He threatens to kill Saya and her dad if she doesn't get her shit together and fight him seriously. Saya gets uber pissed and warns the monster about threatening her father. The monster senses that Saya's trust in her "father" is a blind sort and he alludes to the fact that Saya has been fed lies about herself, about the Elder Bairn, about the town, and so forth for quite sometime.

Saya eventually kills the Elder Bairn and we see that underneathe its armor it had the physical appearance of a normal human. Saya is covered in blood, both hers and that of her enemy when Tokizane, the Squall Leonhart Wannabe of this series runs into her. End scene.

Pros: This was a great episode for CLAMP fans. CLAMP has introduced not only Japanese themes into the series thus far but otherworlds have finally crossed over into Blood-C with the artistic elegance and refinement that CLAMP is known for. I was wondering when CLAMP would fully integrate Blood-C into their universe and we've arrived at that point. So long as the narrative expands and stays solid Blood-C should be a treat for fans of CLAMP's work. As long as they don't include too many characters and subplots (Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicle) this should be a very good anime.

Cons: Production I.G. really screwed up on this one. The animation is choppy, the character movement is rigid and even awkward in some places. Don't get me wrong. The animation wasn't criminal like what we've seen in Naruto Shippuden, but it did take a noticeable drop in quality since the previous episode. The creators are shipping Tokizane and Saya so hard it seems rushed and unnatural. "Saya, I like you the way you are." Only issue is you've only had like three conversations with the girl over the course of seven episodes.