SOTW #4: Black & White

Status
Not open for further replies.
SOTW #4

Theme:

Black & White

Make sure you take a look at the rules & regulations before entering!

Note: There is a new rule

People who use stocks are required to submit a URL of the stock used along with their entry. This URL will be posted along with the entry when voting begins.

Members who use renders and backgrounds are required to submit a URL of their render and background along with their entry. However, if the background is self-made, please specify it in your entry. These URLS will be posted along with the entry when voting begins.

You are allowed to discuss your interpretations of the theme here!

Submission Deadline:

29 April, 6pm GMT+8

It's being used because, as pointed out by Emmie, entrants can just find a really nice stock, crop it, submit it and win. By providing the original stock, voters can see what the entrant did to the stock to turn it into their entry, so they have a better gauge of the skill of the entrant and the work he/she put into the entry.

VivaLaDementia

Yea, Its been a ride...
That is what I figured, which is why I wonder - Why doesn't apply to people who use renders?

You can also do basically the same thing for renders. If your making the rule for one, you should make the rule both.

[quote name='VivaLaDementia']That is what I figured, which is why I wonder - Why doesn't apply to people who use renders?

You can also do basically the same thing for renders. If your making the rule for one, you should make the rule both.[/QUOTE]

Well, I guess you're right. I'll change the rules.

im sorryyyyyyyy i still dont get greyscale and black and white difference... >____<

i tried looking for the difference.. but i cnt find it >_<

Lovely.

Hiatus-Land
[quote name='Wwgeaf']im sorryyyyyyyy i still dont get greyscale and black and white difference... >____<

i tried looking for the difference.. but i cnt find it >_<[/QUOTE]

Basically it's like the only colors there are black and white, no variations of the color. For instance:

greyscale: http://andypmu.deviantart.com/art/Darkrai-Sig-Grayscale-DM-185842466

black and white: http://www.sfacademyorchestra.org/Logo (Graphic only, black on white).JPG

(sorry couldn't find a good example for black and white, but yeah, it's just 2 colors, greyscale has variations of it. Hope it helps?

VivaLaDementia

Yea, Its been a ride...
[quote name='TheRealTeapot']I sort of find the black and white rule stupid. Just make the theme black and white.[/QUOTE]

I don't see the big deal, considering it takes about 2 seconds to check that and change it to pure b/w if needed.

There are more possibilities if the theme is Black and White rather than adding a rule that states IT MUST BE BLACK AND WHITE.

I hampers creativity D:<

Maria.

→Donut Vampire
Some examples that (what I think! Depends on the discretion of the staff) are called B&W:

For greyscale:

Note: Grey can never be removed when you are making a black and white. Not that it can really be never. You can but it will look stagnant and stiff. In layman's terms, Grey in a black and white serves as a shadow for the colored version because it is the colors that gives or emphasizes the contours of a tag. ^^

Hope this clears all the issues about B&W.

-Maria.

~Kitty~

Kitty pawns all!
[quote name='Maria.']Some examples that (what I think! Depends on the discretion of the staff) are called B&W:

For greyscale:

Note: Grey can never be removed when you are making a black and white. Not that it can really be never. You can but it will look stagnant and stiff. In layman's terms, Grey in a black and white serves as a shadow for the colored version because it is the colors that gives or emphasizes the contours of a tag. ^^

Hope this clears all the issues about B&W.

-Maria.[/QUOTE]

Ah! how do you make the pic completely B&W!

Yes, something like the 2nd pic you posted is acceptable, Maria.

Well, I guess it's really really really hard to get something purely black and white. Heck, even my set which I thought was black and white also has some grey areas.

I'm going to accept entries which are at least 70% pure black and white, okay. So no slapping of grayscale layers on your sigs and calling it black & white unless it meets the criteria.

~Kitty~

Kitty pawns all!
[quote name='Hadriel']Yes, something like the 2nd pic you posted is acceptable, Maria.

Well, I guess it's really really really hard to get something purely black and white. Heck, even my set which I thought was black and white also has some grey areas.

I'm going to accept entries which are at least 70% pure black and white, okay. So no slapping of grayscale layers on your sigs and calling it black & white unless it meets the criteria.[/QUOTE]

then does my entry count or is it still too grey?

Maria.

→Donut Vampire
Just to add. Grey is an element of B&W. If you're familiar with mixing colors. If you mix white and black it typically results to grey so don't get so stuck up in making your tags more black and white and less grey since eventually some parts will really fall into that color. ^^

Though admittedly, I'm really laughing, really hard, on how strict you people are in this matter. LoL.

Majority of SOTWs and GOTMs I have witnessed considered Greyscale as B&W so it's pretty funny to see a site that ponders so much about this matter.

Well, you have a point there. I guess I'll loosen up the criteria a bit. It doesn't have to be purely black and white, but it has to capture the essence of the theme. I'll accept all entries from now on.

[quote name='Hadriel']Well, you have a point there. I guess I'll loosen up the criteria a bit. It doesn't have to be purely black and white, but it has to capture the essence of the theme. I'll accept all entries from now on.[/QUOTE]

Lawl which is exactly what I've said >___>

btw, adding Gradient maps or using a B&W filter can never get it purely B&W.

Closest thing to BW would be if you fuck up the levels (Ctrl + L in CS5). B&W doesn't look too appealing so I said just make B&W the theme rather than a rule

[quote name='Hadriel']Well, you have a point there. I guess I'll loosen up the criteria a bit. It doesn't have to be purely black and white, but it has to capture the essence of the theme. I'll accept all entries from now on.[/QUOTE]

So it can have some grey in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.