G2 Tactics [idea pitch]

with squares I can put ranges and maps in excel. EASY MODO. Let's do that then.
in the mean time I'm going to brainstorm such things as elements and stuff. If I do decide to have elemental weaknesses/ attack type weaknesses, I want to keep it to a modest number so it doesn't get over complicated and scare away players.

I think it needs to go beyond the three element rock-paper-scissors style, or even something similar expanded. Maybe something more like Magic where each element is better at certain things (fire has higher damage, wind has higher speed etc.) which could also be applied in a different way to the attack types (piercing is weaker, but higher crit chance).

Then I was also thinking you could add additional effects to the components, maybe your core grants favored/hated elements, body grants favored/hated attack types, aura (or w/e) grants resistance and weakness... Maybe?

I tend to favor complex though....

Nightmare Gear

de capa y espada
Demi said:
The Puppets are made of 3 components:
a Body- which dictate the "class" and therefore the base statistics and available techniques at its disposal.
a Core- which is a gem that further augments statistics and a passive ability.
and a Mantle- which is an aura that provides a provides various defenses and weaknesses
[MENTION=40]Kamil[/MENTION]: so you would want to advance this system he has in place or just add what you're suggesting?

yes I was planning on not doing a rock paper scissors thing in favor of having elements factor into extra damage, reduced damage or even negative damage
but the overall theme of elements affecting certain styles of attack could be interesting.

may as well update on some ideas I've been kicking around. May be subject to change.

As far as Bodies go, I have decided on a Templar, which is a versatile fighter that can go in melee or magic builds that favors Holy power. While they are highly resistant to other Holy attacks and Dark based attacks, they aren't as strong to base elements or pierce damage. Notable techniques they use are Judgement, which drops a large sword from the sky upon their foes (Holy/Pierce) and Benediction which heals a unit and bestows a bonus to Dark resist for 2 turns (Holy/Buff)

Another idea I've tossed around is a Nymph (other name idea would be Undine) is a type of support caster that favors water spells. Water and fire will do negligent damage, but melee attacks can hit pretty hard, and lightning would be devastating. Notable techniques they use are Regulation, which washes away all status effects good or bad (Aqua/Buff) and Glacial Burst, Which hits the enemy with a stream of icy water that damages and slows the. (Aqua/Debuff)

The way elemental pairings work right now may need some work for now it has a sort of Element/Attack Style thing, but it doesn't seem to work with all my ideas.

For the water caster I would recommend the term Naiad, which I believe is the name of Sea spirits (Roughly equivalent to the better known Dryads) in Greek mythology. Nymphs are generally related to earth more than water, and Undine is the name of a specific creature rather than a species.

I think for technique classifications I'll just put all types that apply (though it would be rare for me to go past 3)
also the Buff/Debuff classifications are mostly useless as most techniques would have an effect.

I suppose I should discuss the statistics of a War Doll/ Battle Puppet/ Whatever the hell I decide to call them.

Drive Points: This measures the connection between the player and the Doll, if it hits 0 the Doll ceases to function until the next mission
Mobility: dictates how many spaces a unit can move in a single turn.
Dodge: the percentage the unit has to completely avoid an attack.

conventional stats like the whole Strength/wisdom/dexterity may be thrown in if I can sort how they will work with the battle system. I may do a Dofus/Wakfu thing where different stats correspond to different elements.

Suggestions and Feedback are always golden

Sounds like lots of fun~ I'm especially looking forward to the completed job system. I wonder if we would be able to move in between jobs or use fusion attacks.

It would be quite easy to work certain stats with certain elements and jobs like many RPGs:

Speed increases dodge rate/attack rate

Strength increases physical attack power

Wisdom increases magic attack power

etc.

Keep up the good work~ Maybe when the first version with the squares is completed, we can move onto the hexagonal system~

Might want to add defense and magic defense to those stats for strength and wisdom respectively
But then you can't have a berserker with low survivability but through-the-roof attack.

By the way, [MENTION=3024]Demi[/MENTION] will this be like random teams or what?

The only real issue I have with the strength and wisdom stats is the line between Physical and Magical attacks aren't really clear cut. I could do the original Pokemon thing and separate certain elements into the domain of Physical/ Magic.

But even then having stats that flatly raises physical/ mental attack/defense, could mess with the dynamic of elemental weaknesses,so moving on to the hypothetical Wakfu idea.

Agility: Enhances Dodge chance slightly. Increases power of Sky and Slash.
Tenacity: Enhances Drive slightly. Increases power of Nature and Crush.
Wisdom: Enhances Priority of techniques slightly. Increases power of Aqua
Luck: Enhances Critical Hit chance. Increases power of Heat and Pierce
Focus: Enhances Accuracy of techniques slightly. Increases Holy and Shot.
Determination*: Decreases damage taken slightly. Increases Grim.
*not sure if want

I need 2 more Physical Elements to have an even 6 on both sides.

By the way, [MENTION=3024]Demi[/MENTION] will this be like random teams or what?
Not decided yet. Back at SSA, the teams are random for every round. Here I may have 2 or 3 definitive teams depending on the amount of players I get.

Do the attack types have to be physical? For example, I was thinking something like "Aura" for wisdom which is an attack that involves simply filling an area with the element, and "Mental" for determination for attacks which don't damage the body at all but instead directly attack the "Drive link" or something.

the Drive Link and HP are exactly the same, so both physical and magical elements target it

some suggestions I scooped up for the two new elements were Burst and Rend. Burst is similar to your Aura idea.

with that, I just need to find a more suitable replacement for the Determination stat.
Burst will pair with Aqua and Rend with Grim.

Some of the statistics you see getting an upgrade have to do with information from Techniques

Techniques have an Attack Pattern which determines range and how many targets. Priority decides the order actions are performed during the day. a Base Power, which is the amount of damage it deals or heals. Elements, which basically filter through resistances and junk. An Effect is optional, but most techniques have one.

Perhaps willpower or focus? Concentration could work too... But it kind of depends on whether Grim is intended as dark or simply uncaring.