Vita is shaping up to be RPG successor

Tempest

The Lotus Eater
Staff member
It can't be denied that the PSP is arguably the best system for traditional RPGs, more in the vein of jRPGs. It seems like the trend will continue with the Vita. We've seen the 3DS catalog of games and it's been underwhelming, not just in the RPG department but board wide. The Vita on the other hand shows some promise. While there are no concrete details there are promises and from some reputable studios too. Take a look.
If you're wondering what will be in store for Sony's upcoming PlayStation Vita handheld beyond its 26 launch titles, the publisher has provided a tiny glimpse into the system's future.Andriasang reports that it was able to catch the following games on Sony's list of future Vita titles:
  • Strategy-RPG from Alpha Unit
  • Shooter from Cave
  • Two new games from GungHo
  • New game from Gust
  • Baseball game from Konami
  • Soccer game from Konami
  • RPG from Level-5
  • New game from Mages
  • Action RPG from Marvelous
  • Fantasy RPG from Marvelous
  • Simulation RPG from Marvelous
  • Educational games from Media Five
  • Anime action game from Namco Bandai
  • Maplus Portable Navi 4
  • Shin Megami Tensei series (Persona 4, pictured above, has already been announced for a Vita port, but this implies more games under the SMT label will be coming)
It's a ragtag list of unknowns right now, but there's plenty to be excited about here, especially for RPG fanatics like myself. Now I just need to start hoping that most of these titles actually make it to North America.
Source: GameinformerAbout 10 or so months ago I was debating on whether I would get a 3DS or a Vita. Right now it's looking like Vita will take the spot. So, what say you rpg bums out there? 3DS or Vita to be king of the dying genre?

Strife

Denizen of the Abyss
Vita will definitely be king. Mainly because the 3DS is utter crap and no one is even buying it. They already had to drop the price by $80 dollars so quickly after its release. The Vita looks gorgeous as well and if I'm not mistaken it has graphics of that on par to the PS3, who doesn't want a handheld that has sexy graphics like that? Also the 3D for the 3DS is meh as well, Nintendo seemed to mess up really badly.Now on to the videogame list. From what I saw on it I am super excited for an RPG by Level 5 for the Vita! Level 5 makes superb RPG games and will hopefully bring it back up to the level RPGs used to be. Quite anxious for this one.