Love

Zero Phoenix

The Second Coming of Hazama
Define what is "Love".
Where does it originate from?
Give a proper argument in support of your thesis.
No one responded to this? Wow really. Everyone was so active in the other discussions. :shrug: All right, I'll bite. This is sure to come down between Kaze and myself anyway so this suits me fine. Love is God and love comes from God. Because love is God love is mercy, patience, kindess, faith, and altruism. Because love comes from God love must come with mercy, patience, kindness, faith, and altruism.

While it is true that humans are irritating creatures (we are, we really are, that's not me being judgmental that's using common sense) it can be difficult to be patient with others. However, if one says they love their parents, or siblings, boyfriend, or girlfriend but they can't help but blow up at them over a disagreement then love is not in that person or their relationship. Disagreements are fine but aggressiveness and harsh words stir up tension, pain, and lead to hardships.

Faith is tricky. Your sister might think she can be the next American Idol and you know she can't sing worth a damn. Should you tell her she should rethink the tryouts are you showing a lack of faith? Of course no. Faith is the belief in something that you cannot see. If we extend this to people then we are believing that they will achieve something even if we can't see it. But of course you can plainly see and hear that she can't sing worth a damn so no, telling her to rethink her tryouts would not be showing a lack of love, rather it would reinforce it via the dimension of kindess. Sorry for such an undignified analogy but I'm trying to make this accessible for people seeing as how everyone has suddenly become so quiet.

Love is also merciful. If someone takes the life of a loved one then naturally, our "human" nature demands we exact revenge. However, God, who is love demands that we are merciful. I mean let's be honest, we've all done wrong and if we all got our come-uppins we'd be in bad shape wouldn't we. I can name at least ten people who I see everyday in this line of work who need to get handled but if I act on that the love of God is not in me. I could go further but I'll stop there. This probably isn't acceptable in terms of a "proper" thesis but I'm ready whenever you are Kaze Araki.

Bring it! :badass:

Kaze Araki

Libertarian Communist
No one responded to this? Wow really. Everyone was so active in the other discussions. :shrug: All right, I'll bite.
True, which is somewhat a surprise to me - maybe perhaps due to the philosophical nature of the question? In any case, let us wait a bit more for other responses first shall we? :D

Scorpion

Kiyo's Father
Love can be defined as materialistic cant it? Just something invented to console people or something to sell. After all isn't it just a word? Or it can also be seen as things we cherish and live fo. It is just word, but like all words, it is mean to describe an emotional state almost beyond human understanding. Thus why even if it is just a word, it is one that holds meaning. I would say we invented love and the use for it, that would be an opinion of mine I dont think I would be able to back it, that's all I can really think of for now.

Love can be defined as materialistic cant it? Just something invented to console people or something to sell.

While I don't completely agree with the word "materialistic", I completely agree with your point. While love itself, as you make clear below, is not "created" by humans, but invented insofar as its observable effects. That is, love now has a different "definition" so to say, as it did a thousand years ago or prior. Not because it has changed, but because humans have added more sociocultural backing to it. If that makes since.
So I agree with you, I am just adding some of my own opinions in there :p

After all isn't it just a word? Or it can also be seen as things we cherish and live fo. It is just word, but like all words, it is mean to describe an emotional state almost beyond human understanding. Thus why even if it is just a word, it is one that holds meaning. I would say we invented love and the use for it, that would be an opinion of mine I dont think I would be able to back it, that's all I can really think of for now.

I think that while humans use any word to explain any set of emotions, some unclear wording may result in some misunderstanding. To clarify, you are saying that all words used to describe emotions beyond human understanding are, in effect, one that we have to give meaning to? Or one that we explain the meaning to, that is the words are more of a means of describing than explanation? I know this seems trivial, but I am curious =3

Zero Phoenix

The Second Coming of Hazama
I found something very interesting...

Definition of LOVE

(as a noun)

1a (1) : strong affection for another arising out of kinship or personal ties <maternal love for a child> (2) : attraction based on sexual desire : affection and tenderness felt by lovers (3) : affection based on admiration, benevolence, or common interests <love for his old schoolmates> b : an assurance of affection <give her my love>

2: warm attachment, enthusiasm, or devotion <love of the sea>

3a : the object of attachment, devotion, or admiration <baseball was his first love> b (1) : a beloved person : darling —often used as a term of endearment (2) British —used as an informal term of address

4a : unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another: as (1) : the fatherly concern of God for humankind (2) : brotherly concern for others b : a person's adoration of God

5: a god or personification of love

6: an amorous episode : love affair (Zero's Notes: Bullshit!)

7: the sexual embrace : copulation

8: a score of zero (as in tennis) (Zero's Notes: Didn't know that.)

9capitalized Christian Science : god

(Zero's Notes: I was surprised to find a secular text list God as a definition for love in two places.)

at love : holding one's opponent scoreless in tennis

in love : inspired by affection

Definition of LOVE

transitive verb
: to hold dear : cherish

a : to feel a lover's passion, devotion, or tenderness for b (1) : caress (2) : to fondle amorously (3) : to copulate with

: to like or desire actively : take pleasure in <loved to play the violin>

: to thrive in <the rose loves sunlight>

intransitive verb
: to feel affection or experience desire

-lexus-

Visions of Hell
Its a biological reaction to certain stimuli. You know, certain neurotransmitters making you feel in a certain way. Everything else concerning love is just social structures and rules that humans build around it, to give it a place in our culture. Not any less important, but the feeling is just purely biological.

Biomega

Net Ronin Of All Trades
Love, to me, does not exist. It's just a silly concept made by our sophisticated oft filtered mind. It's an intangible abstract. A mirage set by our brain. Never existed in our life.

Peace and Serenity is not love. Peace is just a ceasefire, and serenity is the after-effect of peace.

True, we are merciful and kind, but we are also cruel and ruthless. The persistent idea of duality.

How is God(your typical god) love? How is God Mercy, if he is the one that is delighted to throw us into eternal punishment, if we are to be deviants? He is driven by anger, not love.

God is love, indeed:
[SPOILERA]
[/SPOILERA]
^-Thank God for creating vultures.

We, as human, we rarely use love. As one of the creatures of this world, we are driven by hate, by anger and by instincts. We only consume, and we are still selfish. That's our basic structure.

noex1337

Emmie was here
Love, to me, does not exist. It's just a silly concept made by our sophisticated oft filtered mind. It's an intangible abstract. A mirage set by our brain. Never existed in our life.

Peace and Serenity is not love. Peace is just a ceasefire, and serenity is the after-effect of peace.

True, we are merciful and kind, but we are also cruel and ruthless. The persistent idea of duality.

How is God(your typical god) love? How is God Mercy, if he is the one that is delighted to throw us into eternal punishment, if we are to be deviants? He is driven by anger, not love.

God is love, indeed:
[SPOILERA]
[/SPOILERA]
^-Thank God for creating vultures.

We, as human, we rarely use love. As one of the creatures of this world, we are driven by hate, by anger and by instincts. We only consume, and we are still selfish. That's our basic structure.
That really depends on your definition of God. But I will say that eternal punishment is not at all biblical. But the idea of heaven and hell makes perfect sense to me. Why would you want to spend the rest of eternity with a guy you don't even like? Isn't that torture?

For my answer to the OP, I have absolutely no idea what love is or where it originated from, although i do believe it exists.

Unconditional love

Romantic love

Anything and everything else falls between those two. Those are the only two things that exist.

Arachna

Spider
Staff member
I'm afraid that I'm not really qualified to discuss this topic.

But I would like to ask.

If " love" falls under the category of affection.Do animals also feel love?

Kaze Araki

Libertarian Communist
[MENTION=195]Biomega[/MENTION]
We're not only descended from apes, we're apes and thus consequently; monkeys.
Nobody denies that we're mammals, but almost everybody denies that we're monkeys - even though; we are monkeys.

[MENTION=1240]Arachna[/MENTION]
I am not sure, but I think birds may probably has it as well.

Biomega

Net Ronin Of All Trades
If you have strong understanding of anthropology -- what, when, where and who originated the concept of "Love" in humans.

I understand that some animal do "love". This is to protect and bond with their loved ones, but that's out of instinctual drive, to protect the integrity of the tribe/clan and etc.