When and how did you start reading manga?

Tempest

The Lotus Eater
Staff member
I started reading manga when I was about 10 years old. I remember that I had gone to the library to pick up some books for my project and while I was waiting to be picked up I noticed some unusual "comic books" that didn't look like any I had ever seen before. I picked one up and instantly I liked it. I continued to go back to that same section for another year to read these unusual "comics". I didn't know what manga was for another two years when I got faster internet. Ah, if you're curious as to what my first manga was... it's Ranma 1/2. That was the first manga I randomly pulled out of the shelf.

My first manga was Kaichou Wa Maid Sama! I started simply cuz I wanted to know what happens next and this is how I started. It was not too long ago, may be 4~5 months.

pangary

My 1st manga should be Negima, kinda curious why the anime seems so screwed up lol...It should be around 2-3 years ago. Don't really read much manga though...

AuroraWing

Starfish-Power ruler
woah.. i barely remember it... i guess it was soo.... 12 years ago +- some time....thanks to my sisters who read them... and what was my first one...if i remember correctly then it was Ranma 1/2 or Kenshin

My first manga was .hack, bought a copy of it from barnes and noble, didn't really enjoy it. I first started reading manga when naruto episodes went into filler mode (6 years ago?) and i decided i'd just read the manga of it and so began my spiral down the manga hole.

I can't remember what my first ever manga was. Goes way back high school. One of my friends brought hers and I borrowed it. But the first manga I bought for myself is CLAMP School Detectives. Well that was back when I was still into shoujo series.

I don't remember my first manga because when I started reading I got hooked and couldn't stop reading xDBut I remember my first anime was vampire knight

ah!! I remember after a lot of thinking.. first I watched the Shugo Chara anime, and the I just had to read the manga since they screwed up the anime in the end.. xDand then I got interested in manga

hmm... I started reading manga I think when I was 7 something. it just happened that my old cousins brought some manga with him and I bumped into one.at that time, my desire to read was very high. it had become my urge to begin with. I read almost everythingand when I bumped into manga, I cant stop reading it. until now.the first manga if I am not mistaken is dragon ball or doraemon. I cant really recall it.

I don't remember which exactly was the first one... but I'm the same as Anakin, I started less than a year ago... and it was because of some anime, too. Just can't remember which :S

i already forgot what my first manga is..but the oldest one will be Throbing tonight..but i guess i got more oldest than that..I started reading.. well.. I already forgot how and why...I just love reading

Franken Stein

Spiral Power!!
Staff member
I was 12 when I first read my first manga, Dragon Ball bought it at hastings, I called them "Graphic Novels" XD that's what the price sticker said anyway, but yeah from then on I started to read these so called graphic novels which later found out were called manga =], tho the nudity caught my eye on these, ah the young mindI still have my first manga, tho pages are all yellow from age XD

I was about 13 to 14 years old. I was watching an anime online. I think it was Chobits. I read some people say the manga is better. I thought "What the heck is manga?" So I looked it up read a few and bam got into it.My first was either Sekirei or UnbalanexUnbalance. Don't truly remember been years.

amandaluvsya

Kissing ZeroKnight's Neck
Staff member
I was around 14-15 years old, freshman year of high school, I was waiting for my friend to come pick me up since he use to drive me home and another girl was sitting on the bench next to the one i was sitting on and i saw her reading a weird book and then i noticed the pages had pictures on it. At the time i had never heard of manga or anything related to it so i was really curious and me being nosy, walked up to her and asked what kinda book that was. So then she explained it was a manga and the rest is history
The girl is still my friend and i blame her for making me get hooked on Detective Conan (my first manga) since that was the manga she was reading. I've been obsessed with that manga ever since. Good stories if you haven't read them, IMO~

Strife

Denizen of the Abyss
I was about 6 or 7 years old when I first started reading manga. My brother who is much older than me loved anime and manga and decidedto show it to me as well. As for my first manga, I can't quite remember what it was, probably Dragon Ball or Yu Gi Oh. Ever since then I have been reading manga and watching anime.

Darkchao45

No More Heroes
Staff member
I had a friend who would always bring them to school. I never paid much attention until I got in to the Naruto anime. I hated waiting and I was told by another friend that the story was ahead in the manga so I started reading it. After that I started looking for manga wherever books were sold.