Live Topics

Emeralda

Pistis Sophia
Yeah, them. Because of a certain Boyd who thinks only about servers having too much strain, they will be turned off. Indefinitely :panic: :cold: :waah:

Sanae

Staff member
Awww, that does indeed suck, but I'm sure it'll be fine :)

Although, I am going to miss the auto-refresh xD It'll take a bit to get used to. I'll probably just sit there and wait for the page to auto refresh xD;

Could there be a trade like Vanity suggested perhaps ^^

Emeralda

Pistis Sophia
Well i just saying there is a lot of add one we could sacrifice to have life topics.
Problem is, Live Topics are a super server intensive mod. It was ok when we had a smaller community, but the more people and posts we were getting, the more pressure was put on the server, to a point where even the main site started acting slow. All other mods and, well, stuff, doesn't use so much CPU. Also, music is using bandwidth, not CPU, so it doesn't make any difference. Well, it could have been worse, Boyd wanted to change to IPB, again. Took me couple hours in total to get him of the idea.

EDIT: stop ninja'ing me >.>

Sanae

Staff member
whats this live topic about g2anime changed so much and i been here from 2008 ~_~
Live Topics was when a page would auto refresh with new post as they were submitted ^__^
Oh wow, I didn't realize it was doing that much damage O_O Well, I'm sure we can get used to it ^__^ Just think of it this way, by the time you go and post in other threads, the one you're keeping an eye on will have new post already ^^

Tempest

The Lotus Eater
Staff member
We need to introduce Virtual servers xD
Cloud based? > Dedicated server > Virtual server > semi-dedicated > shared

That's how resource intensive it is that it puts a hefty strain on the CPU of a dedicated server. With live topics gone I think it also blew out AJAX refreshing. In other words, it would display the latest post when you hit the reply button. Different from auto-refresh in that auto-refresh doesn't require you to do anything.

Tempest

The Lotus Eater
Staff member
I realize this.
Again i don't think any of my suggestions will be used just putting it out there.
Besides im pretty sure we are all used to hitting control+R again. lol
AT members are used to AJAX refresh which was also a part of live topics. Just playing devil's advocate. :smart:

I might snoop around and see if we can at least that going instead of a full blown live topic modification.