Instrumental or Lyrical?

• Instrumental

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Lyrical?

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters

abarnes

Staff member
feel like discussing this, because it is such an important part of music that people sometimes think they’re treating evenly, but are actually not.

Most of the people nowadays are gonna say they prefer music with lyrics, because that’s what popular music has in it most of the time. But I personally prefer instrument for a very good reason. Pop music with lyrics tends to lack in complexity (generally speaking) and rather focusing on original patterns and interesting melodies they tend to rely on a nice riff and a simple melody.

Poetry can also be conveyed through music, so I often feel that music with lyrics should get an extra hug ^_^ However, when most of those lyrics are ‘I miss you baby’ and etc. my appreciation of them drops significantly.

So, which do you prefer? Instrumental, lyrical, or a good mix of the two?

music is a combination a a various instruments working all together. the voice is also an instrument and one of the difficult ones, i like that.
also, only instrument like a great symphonic piece of art, or even classics played only on a grand piano are great for me, one of my fav types of music.
and,i also like both in a good combination that makes music the art that it truly is.

tyron256

turnabout moderation
im going to say instrumental, not to down lyrical in any way but theres just something about it that makes it special.

chimerA.^

...is bored.
Goin with Instrumental on this one, just because there are so many good ones.
Just to name a few:
65daysofstatic
God Is An Astronaut
and Explosions in The Sky
(I will post links later. Prolly to Last.fm or something. ^.^)

templeofanubis

The Music Hunter/Sharer
It depends on my mood i guess and who it is doing the singing. I do tend to prefer a lot more instrumental music over lyrical a lot of the time though

I tend to be more impressed over the vocal portion of music. I know both take large amount of work to get just right, but I've told myself that anyone can learn to play an instrument given the right teacher, but some people just don't have the voices to sing.

The exceptions are however, when certain instrumentals are played to dramatic or important scenes...I don't know how to describe it, but I get hypnotized by that. -__-'

B StAR

2D Complex.
I like lyrical music over instrumental. there is nothing wrong with instrumental, but it's a different factor involved in lyrics. You need the right ones to match with the music to be great.

Tengu

惣流・アスカ・ラングレー
Well I listen to a large veriaty of music, I do prefer my clasical to have No lyrics what so ever, But I prefer my Folk, rock, punk and heavy metal to have lyrics.

well in my experience of songwriting, i would prefer the best of both worlds, not to say that pop music is lacking in, but sometimes music nowadays without lyrics do turn out quite bad.. but with lyrics, it may compensate for the bad melody, but if you are a true musician, then fully instrumental music will be the best. I love the melody of instrumentals if they are composed properly. :)