Catherine

Zero Phoenix

The Second Coming of Hazama
Not. There doesn't exist "one" particular game that makes it worth owning a particular system. If a person doesn't have a PS3 already, Catherine isn't going to be the game that forces them to get one. If a person hasn't already bought a PS3 after titles like Guns of the Patriots, Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Sigma 2, Final Fantasy XIII, or Resident Evil 5, it seems dubious to buy one just because Catherine is going to be on it.

Is Catherine going to be a great game? It's a risky move from Atlus but it's a no-brainer. Yes. Is it going to be game of the year? Hell no. Am I getting it? Maybe. Does this game alone make buying a PS3 worth it? Doubtful.

Emeralda

Pistis Sophia
Uhm, I think I might have phrased it wrong. I already have a PS3, so I'm asking if it's worth buying the PS3 version of Catherine for it >.<

I would say it depends... If you like the way the game works, or find the plot any interesting you can consider getting it. I wouldn't buy it unless I had a few coins to spare, which will never happen... since I never run out of games I want...

godofwar7

If its half as fun as Persona, I'm getting it. (Half the fun of Persona was the non RPG stuff)

Might even consider getting the deluxe edition. I'm buying it new anyways.

Not. There doesn't exist "one" particular game that makes it worth owning a particular system. If a person doesn't have a PS3 already, Catherine isn't going to be the game that forces them to get one. If a person hasn't already bought a PS3 after titles like Guns of the Patriots, Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Sigma 2, Final Fantasy XIII, or Resident Evil 5, it seems dubious to buy one just because Catherine is going to be on it.

Is Catherine going to be a great game? It's a risky move from Atlus but it's a no-brainer. Yes. Is it going to be game of the year? Hell no. Am I getting it? Maybe. Does this game alone make buying a PS3 worth it? Doubtful.
Those are some interesting choices you voiced, Metal gear solid aside, Ninja Gaiden Sigma was considered somewhat a downgrade from the xbox version, ff13 is hated by much of the ff fanbase, and resident evil 5 is considered a downgrade from resident evil 4.

Zero Phoenix

So I received my issue of GameInformer yesterday and they shredded this game. I usually don't buy into the critics but some of the attacks on the game were well-founded. The editor remarked how the game is repetitious with regards to puzzle solving and apart from the interactions in the "real world" you're pretty much doing the same thing over and over again. There were also criticisms as to how the game structured the endings. I still might buy the game though if only to support Atlus. Nah, just kidding.

Those are some interesting choices you voiced, Metal gear solid aside, Ninja Gaiden Sigma was considered somewhat a downgrade from the xbox version, ff13 is hated by much of the ff fanbase, and resident evil 5 is considered a downgrade from resident evil 4.
Interesting. I've never heard of anyone considering a NGS to be a downgrade so with all due respect your opinion I am not at liberty to simply take your word for it. I've never heard of any magazine or website make the claim you just did so I'm left with little option than to move onto your next point.

FFXIII is probably the FFVIII of this generation. When FFVIII came out back in 1999 there was no shortage of fans who found something to hate about it. It polarized the fanbase because people who loved the game really loved and people who hated the game, well they really hated it. But FFVIII sold copies and Playstations. History repeated itself with the release of FFX because well let's face it, it was another game that polarized the fanbase but again, it sold copies and it sold Playstation 2's. Lightning strikes three times, no pun intended and FFXIII was a killer app for the PS3. There are a number of gamers who bought a PS3 just for FFXIII and while there were a number of gamers that hated it, that really doesn't matter given that they "already bought the game." Regardless of how bad any particular Final Fantasy might turn out, people will always buy them. For example, I thought FFX was the worst RPG I ever played in my life but that didn't stop me from buying X-2, XII, XIII, and so on. So it doesn't actually matter who liked or disliked FFXIII because at the end of the day it sold. Not as well as Square-Enix had hoped obviously, but if you put a game on the shelves people will buy it so long as it is marketed properly.

I won't defend my selection of RE5. :><:

godofwar7

I'll have to wait and see that review

Interesting. I've never heard of anyone considering a NGS to be a downgrade so with all due respect your opinion I am not at liberty to simply take your word for it. I've never heard of any magazine or website make the claim you just did so I'm left with little option than to move onto your next point.

FFXIII is probably the FFVIII of this generation. When FFVIII came out back in 1999 there was no shortage of fans who found something to hate about it. It polarized the fanbase because people who loved the game really loved and people who hated the game, well they really hated it. But FFVIII sold copies and Playstations. History repeated itself with the release of FFX because well let's face it, it was another game that polarized the fanbase but again, it sold copies and it sold Playstation 2's. Lightning strikes three times, no pun intended and FFXIII was a killer app for the PS3. There are a number of gamers who bought a PS3 just for FFXIII and while there were a number of gamers that hated it, that really doesn't matter given that they "already bought the game." Regardless of how bad any particular Final Fantasy might turn out, people will always buy them. For example, I thought FFX was the worst RPG I ever played in my life but that didn't stop me from buying X-2, XII, XIII, and so on. So it doesn't actually matter who liked or disliked FFXIII because at the end of the day it sold. Not as well as Square-Enix had hoped obviously, but if you put a game on the shelves people will buy it so long as it is marketed properly.

I won't defend my selection of RE5. :><:
I strange i must of read it somewhere to think it was somewhat a downgrade. Well in any case, the point was Ninja Gaiden is not really a system seller, because well first off its a port or a remake so to speak. If youre not going to buy an xbox to play when it came out as ninja gaiden 2, youre not going to buy a ps3 to play it as ninja gaiden sigma a year later.

i checked the sales of the ff13, and youre right it did much better than i originally thought saleswise. Almost 5 mil on PS and almost 2 mil on xbox.

What I believe to be system movers are blockbuster exclusives that are critically acclaimed.
The three big names that come to mind are God of War 3, Uncharted 2, and Metal Gear Solid 4.
Then again Xbox is moving systems at faster rate than the other consoles now with hardly any exclusives...

Zero Phoenix

I strange i must of read it somewhere to think it was somewhat a downgrade. Well in any case, the point was Ninja Gaiden is not really a system seller, because well first off its a port or a remake so to speak. If youre not going to buy an xbox to play when it came out as ninja gaiden 2, youre not going to buy a ps3 to play it as ninja gaiden sigma a year later.
I did. :confused2: But of course NGS was merely icing on the cake.

I bought my PS3 for Guns of the Patriots and Final Fantasy largely. You might imagine how pissed off I was when FFXIII came out for the box. It's almost as though I bought my PS3 for Guns of the Patriots solely.

i checked the sales of the ff13, and youre right it did much better than i originally thought saleswise. Almost 5 mil on PS and almost 2 mil on xbox.
I tend to follow all of Square-Enix's games. They are number one in my book. I may miss the mark on what the likes of Konami, Capcom, or EA are doing but when it comes to Square-Enix I do my share of research. Of course while XIII was a big seller, it didn't do nearly as well as Square-Enix hoped. I believe they tanked 30 million plus into the game.

godofwar7

Square was definitely hoping for too much then as it did as well as the other blockbusters on the PS3 saleswise.

hmm we're getting off topic...

Zero Phoenix

Square was definitely hoping for too much then as it did as well as the other blockbusters on the PS3 saleswise.
True. True. I suppose Sony is in part to blame for slapping a $600 sticker on a toy. That was one clusterf#ck of an E3.

hmm we're getting off topic...
Indeed. So switching gears, it doesn't look like I'll be getting this game. At least until I see it in a bargin bin somewhere. It looks good, experimental indeed. But I'm not crazy about what appears to be (and probably is) highly repetitious gameplay. Of course I'm not about to Zero Phoenix this game just because of that. It's actually quite attractive from an aesthetic and design standpoint. But the flaws present in the game prevent it from being something that will hook me. Still, I'm glad Atlus is doing something creative and controversial with this game. They're a great company and they're finally starting to get the recognition they deserve. So come on you damn Americans buy the game!

[BTW: I am fully aware of the irony in telling people to buy a game that I don't plan on buying in the near future. Of course in my defense I've been rolling with Atlus since the 32-bit era and so, I reiterate thus, "Buy the game!"]

godofwar7

The main hook of the game is its plot/story anyway. Those who didn't like the puzzle gameplay still loved the story, of the the reviews and previews ive read.
I'm sure i can handle some ball bustingly hard puzzles to enjoy this game.

Also the amount of copies sold of P4 sold in the U.S. almost matched the number sold in Japan, so yeah Atlus is getting some rep.

You could always try out the demo that came out a few days ago.

Zero Phoenix

the main hook of the game is its plot/story anyway. Those who didn't like the puzzle gameplay still loved the story, of the the reviews and previews ive read.
I'm sure i can handle some ball bustingly hard puzzles to enjoy this game.

Also the amount of copies sold of p4 sold in the u.s. Almost matched the number sold in japan, so yeah atlus is getting some rep.

You could always try out the demo that came out a few days ago.
Roar! Support Atlus!!! :cool2:

And uh, show some love for Working Designs too. Just throwing it out there. A lot of formulaic titles are out on the market right now. Wouldn't exactly kill anyone to pick up a Growlanser title or two. Just saying. They have great stories, an interesting approach to battles and they have a similar dating sim feature for people who like Persona. Not as deep but still rewarding. So yeah.

godofwar7

^I personally believe they made dungeon crawling too easy in the P3 port to the PSP. A bit too difficult in the original, and much too easy in the port. Or it could be I'd just gotten really good at it that it seemed way easy. Can't really tell.

Got my copy of Game Informer today, so i can now properly respond to this.

So I received my issue of GameInformer yesterday and they shredded this game. I usually don't buy into the critics but some of the attacks on the game were well-founded. The editor remarked how the game is repetitious with regards to puzzle solving and apart from the interactions in the "real world" you're pretty much doing the same thing over and over again. There were also criticisms as to how the game structured the endings. I still might buy the game though if only to support Atlus. Nah, just kidding.
Rather than the editor complaining about the repetitiveness of the puzzle section(which he isn't) he is complaining about their difficulty. He comments that the puzzles grow longer and more difficult as each night passes, certainly not meaning the same as repetitive.
I tend to not pay as much attention to reviews when one of the sticking points for a lower score is the difficulty of the game.

Criticism on how they structured the endings is valid though.

godofwar7

Game looks absolutely amazing in HD. Up to par with some of the best looking games out now.
Anyone who is a fan of the development team should be extremely psyched to know that.(We're set to see a graphically amazing persona :p)

The story is captivating and interesting and just like in persona games there are other people in the game that have issues that you can help resolve.

The puzzles are challenging, but very fun, and rewarding after you complete them.
(I look forward to doing next puzzle after completing the last one)
This is coming from a guy who has died well over 100 times in game.

My only complaint is i wish there was a bit more to do in between the nightmare stages where vincent is awake other than talking to people about their issues.
Nothing against what the NPCs have to say, its actually very interesting, but the only other things you can do is play the rapunzel minigame or reply to texts or get drunk and listen to trivia about what you drank. The trivia about the drinks was pretty cool though.

I'm in agreement with IGN's review of the game after experiencing it myself.

-lexus-

Visions of Hell
Not. There doesn't exist "one" particular game that makes it worth owning a particular system.
Lol, I actually bought my ps3 so I could play FF9 :p Also Killzone and Uncharted though.

Anyways, this game does look kind of interesting. If it ever comes to Europe and all, I might get it, cuz I do need new games for the ps3.