WOTF Feedback & Suggestions

Hello eburinyan!

Anyway, the staff has been thinking of a few slight modifications to the way the competitions are run, so we'd greatly appreciate your feedback on the points below:

1) We're thinking of combining the current WOTF thread and the "Vote for the next WOTF theme" thread so as to reduce the number of threads created each week. The new format will be like this: The new WOTF in the thread body, plus the next WOTF theme voting as a poll. As you can see, the current WOTF thread is a test of this.

2) We're thinking of adding a Theme Bank thread for everyone to contribute to. That way, the "Vote for the next WOTF theme" thread won't be so cluttered (if it even exists after you decide on the changes).

[MENTION=92]Lovely.[/MENTION]
[MENTION=2961]Prince[/MENTION]
[MENTION=60]HappyNisa[/MENTION]
[MENTION=293]Haures[/MENTION]
[MENTION=1713]Daemon[/MENTION]
[MENTION=1218]The Jest[/MENTION]
[MENTION=102]Alyss[/MENTION]
[MENTION=50]Crestham[/MENTION]
[MENTION=3035]Btmangan[/MENTION]

HappyNisa

Super Moderator
Staff member
EHm I don't mind but don't call it the way Sanae called it it's a bit confusing coz it's the voting for wotf 10 and the discussion for wotf 9 now it looks like it's both for wotf 9 :shiftyeyes:

For the theme bank, sounds good enough, but make sure to update it, so like if you pick the subjects out of the list for the voting, then get the winner of the themebank until they're suggested again (so if they didnt get the vote then let them remain in the themebank)

Uhm soo yup I'm okay with all of the changes XD

HappyNisa said:
EHm I don't mind but don't call it the way Sanae called it it's a bit confusing coz it's the voting for wotf 10 and the discussion for wotf 9 now it looks like it's both for wotf 9 :shiftyeyes:
True, I also had concerns over whether it would be confusing if the thread was like this. Anyhow, let's wait for more opinions.

Sanae

Staff member
Hmm, I supoose it would.. I guess it all depends what one is used to/have been exposed to ^__^

That was just a trial though ^__^ A way to cut down on the threads that are produced for each WOTF .. I guess I just don't see the point in making a thread for people merely saying,"I vote for A." It's kind of a waste to use a thread for a mere voting when the voting can be determined in a poll ^__^;

The poll is to determine what next theme would be while the rest is for discussion (y)

Eh, I guess it really depends what you're exposed to right off the bat (I'm sure it's apparent which I'm used to/exposed to) :heh:

Well personally I wouldn't want to sacrifice user-friendliness for compactness. I'd rather have 4 threads and the members are clear about which thread is for what, than 3 threads but with members getting confused.

Sanae

Staff member
Well, like I said, it was just a trial ^__^ You'll never know how people will react to something until it's tried ^__~

I do understand what you mean though, I guess I was kinda thinking the same with convenience with members not having to go through so many different threads :p

Thanks for giving it a try :bow:

Blackgold

The Loli Inspector
Staff member
The best way I've seen these kind of contests handled is having a submission thread, a voting thread and a general discussion thread. Everything you update goes in the general discussion thread so everyone can talk about it and see when there's a new contest in the same thread. This works well and is not confusing to members at all. They'll be able to talk about it and see updates in the same thread. Also if you would be concerned about people not noticing the updates within the general discussion there's always the fact that there's a new submission thread that people will see on their way to the discussion thread. So there really is no confusion. I should also mention this is a base thread that never gets deleted or changed. In case that wasn't clear.

Submission threads work just as they sound. People just submit their work here there should be no discussion just their entry. If people wish they may change what they submit before the submissions are closed. That's much easier than PMing. Also in the submission thread there should be a poll for people to vote on what they wish the next theme to be. Voting threads also work just as they sound. You talk about entries, what you like/dislike and which one you're voting for in bold. While the voting thread is going on the next contest should already be up and the submission thread already running. This keeps things moving along nicely and gives people a full week to submit and a full week to vote. Assuming you're doing these contests by the week.

Of course this way of doing things wouldn't work to well with the rules here. Since entries are anonymous, and this is just one reason why I wont be participating in G2 SOTW. I don't agree with all the rules to well. I understand it's done so that there is no favoritism, but no matter what you do, even in anonymous work, there's going to be favoritism. Example: I'm voting for this signature because I like the character in it and not because I think it's the most well made. Wether it's anonymous or not there's still favoritism taking place. I believe it would be better if people received credit for their work. Sure there's a couple people who would vote for a signature just because they like the person, but don't you think this kind of thing takes place already? I'm sure friends know what their friends made beforehand. I wanted to submit the new signature I made for Rosel but due to the rules I can't because one: people have seen it already and two: it's been tagged.

These are just my personal opinions and beliefs on how to run a contest well. I'm sure many would agree however.

Sanae

Staff member
SInce we've seen it one way with WOTF, I would love to try this with SOTW ^__^

[MENTION=163]dark_9tails[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2049]Franken Stein[/MENTION] Do you two have any objections to me giving this idea a go for the next SOTW ^__^?

HappyNisa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds great... the whole discussion thread and themebank... and if you really want it to be less threads.. you can make it so that the general discussion threads holds the theme of the forthnight and stuff in the first post of the general discussion thread. ^^

Because I'm against people posting their submission jjust like that, because then members will know who wrote it and that MIGHT influence their vote, we dont want that, we want people to vote for the writing not for who wrote it ^^
Really I like it if it goes like it goes now through pm, you can always send an extra pm if you want to change something. I dont like the idea that people know who wrote what while voting. really agianst the idea.

I know there might already be some favoritism but with making it visible who did what, you'll only create more. I mean yeah people ca guess by the way it's made how it looks like anyway. but then it's still a guess. then they know for sure. (there were also people who didnt want darky to win again with the sotw remember, now if it had been very visible what she created, it;d be sad no? )

And for the point that friends know what their friends created.. that really annoys me, I might be thinking all naive or soemthing, but what's the peeping point in winning if you only made your friends vote for you? Really? I can't imagine real writers to want to win that way. (or gfx'ers for that matter)

We could state who wrote/made what at the end of the contest, after the voting taking place. I think we already did that (just that with the last wotf it went all weird coz of the person who ran it dissapeared >.>" )

dark_9tails

dark_9tailsノ(ಥ益ಥノ)
Because I'm against people posting their submission jjust like that, because then members will know who wrote it and that MIGHT influence their vote, we dont want that, we want people to vote for the writing not for who wrote it ^^
Really I like it if it goes like it goes now through pm, you can always send an extra pm if you want to change something. I dont like the idea that people know who wrote what while voting. really agianst the idea.
You're thinking what I'm thinking ;)

I know there might already be some favoritism but with making it visible who did what, you'll only create more. I mean yeah people ca guess by the way it's made how it looks like anyway. but then it's still a guess. then they know for sure. (there were also people who didnt want darky to win again with the sotw remember, now if it had been very visible what she created, it;d be sad no? )
Haha yeah. It le childish, I'd say.

And for the point that friends know what their friends created.. that really annoys me, I might be thinking all naive or soemthing, but what's the peeping point in winning if you only made your friends vote for you? Really? I can't imagine real writers to want to win that way. (or gfx'ers for that matter)
Yep, with public submission, ideas from a story or gfx tag could be stolen which makes it being plagiarized.

Blackgold

The Loli Inspector
Staff member
I was mostly directing this all at SOTW it could apply for WOTF as well though. Someone just wanted me to state my opinion or get the idea out. I can understand writings being anonymous but signatures should be public. Mainly because this method works so well on another site I'm familiar with. I mean... It's up to the community. I just figured because I'm unhappy with the rules, and because someone asked me to, I would speak up about it.
Yes yes it is childish, but I was just making my point in saying being anonymous still doesn't hurt the ability for people to commit favoritism. Also don't forget this bit.
I understand it's done so that there is no favoritism, but no matter what you do, even in anonymous work, there's going to be favoritism. Example: I'm voting for this signature because I like the character in it and not because I think it's the most well made. Wether it's anonymous or not there's still favoritism taking place.
(there were also people who didnt want darky to win again with the sotw remember, now if it had been very visible what she created, it;d be sad no?)
I'm shocked actually at this. I suppose it's just because the community I come from is full of friendly and nice people. We have one guy that's won at least 15 SOTW almost back to back, but we weren't upset about him winning so much. He earned it.
Yep, with public submission, ideas from a story or gfx tag could be stolen which makes it being plagiarized.
This is why I said I could understand WOTF being anonymous but this doesn't apply to SOTW. You can't steal a signature because one: it's already been posted so it obviously wouldn't be yours and two: it would be tagged with a user name.

Anyways like I said this is just an idea. If the community here doesn't agree with it then that's how things will have to be. I really believe it would all around make things easier and promote more activity in the section though.

Sanae said:
SInce we've seen it one way with WOTF, I would love to try this with SOTW ^__^

[MENTION=163]dark_9tails[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2049]Franken Stein[/MENTION] Do you two have any objections to me giving this idea a go for the next SOTW ^__^?
I'm not against the idea, [MENTION=8]Sanae[/MENTION], but let the Soul Mods do it, not you. I'm sure they're capable enough to do it without your intervention.

Anyway, I'd like the format for competitions to be decided through consensus, not majority. Both ideas have their pros and cons (Blackgold's idea and the current one), so we'll have to weigh them carefully. I think we need more opinions.

dark_9tails

dark_9tailsノ(ಥ益ಥノ)
I'm shocked actually at this. I suppose it's just because the community I come from is full of friendly and nice people. We have one guy that's won at least 15 SOTW almost back to back, but we weren't upset about him winning so much. He earned it.
I don't really mind one particular person to win several times either. But then some people just won't think likewise.

This is why I said I could understand WOTF being anonymous but this doesn't apply to SOTW. You can't steal a signature because one: it's already been posted so it obviously wouldn't be yours and two: it would be tagged with a user name.

Anyways like I said this is just an idea. If the community here doesn't agree with it then that's how things will have to be. I really believe it would all around make things easier and promote more activity in the section though.
No, I mean basically the ideas. Ah, never mind. I don't suppose people here are being dishonest so yeah. Actually, I've been seeing this system for a while already. It's pretty convenient, I'd say. But [MENTION=55]Hadriel[/MENTION] has mentioned previously that setting up a voting poll isn't a good decision, as there might be 20 anonymous votes with maybe only a few who'd comment and critique on the entries. And without CnCs, the entrants wouldn't know if their sigs had errors or otherwise.

Well, for competitions, I prioritize the learning experience more than the winning itself. The reason I don't want a poll for voting is because I want voters to give helpful feedback to the entrants which could help them improve their GFXing skills. This is also why lately I've begun to question the usefulness of making entries anonymous, because I've seen how some people purposely give no votes just so their entry won't lose, and I feel that's counterproductive to the whole learning experience.

Franken Stein

Spiral Power!!
Staff member
Im up for Blackgold's idea of making a submission thread, voting thread, and general discussion, tho just for SOTW
But for the WOTF I'd like to see that stay anonymous, and the poll thing, just don't use it for the voting of the works just the themes

Sanae

Staff member
I'm not against the idea, @Sanae, but let the Soul Mods do it, not you. I'm sure they're capable enough to do it without your intervention.
Nag, it's fine ^__^ I know exactly what he means and I wouldn't want them to be confused about what to do ^__~

If it's a time thing, I'm sure if I had time to do WOTF, I'm sure I handle this as well, but thank you for the concern ^__^

[MENTION=2049]Franken Stein[/MENTION] Yes, WOTF shall remain anonymous ^^ We are trying this for SOTW ^^

I'd like to standardize the testing and implementation of this though, because it's less confusing that way.
Sae-Not: [MENTION=55]Hadriel[/MENTION] It'll be fine, Haddy.. Seriously, please don't make me pull out the rank card.

I've pitched this idea to you before, but you were unwilling ti give it a try. It'll be fine. Stand down now!