What do you want to see? on Hybrid X Forums?

I don't know if I agree with that, it may take away a little, but it still provides a way to talk without spamming and taking up space in the forum.

Archangel

I know that we already have a topic on this but i wanted to bring it up agian. In the past few weeks the forum has been getting less and less active (its never has been really active but we want to change that). I just wanted to know wat you all want to see on the site ? Is there anything that you would like to see change? As Admins of HXF our goal is to make this site one of the best ,and we are aiming for nothing less . If there is something that you want to see change on the site let us know and if you personaly want to help the site and would like to join staff dont hesistate to ask. Nori and I want to get to the top ,but we need your help. Help us create one of the best Anime websites the internet has ever seen!!!

well, to some extent activity spawns activity ans inactivity spawns inactivity... but I'm bored, so I'll brainstorm a bit :p

I would suggest a little change in the site design. The current one isn't bad I suppose, but with some changes it might encourage more interaction...

like for example, rather than having the multimedia and the information completely separate, have links to the series + episodes information (and comments) available from the download section...

I don't know what would work best, but for example, the site could be set up to encourage this order...
1) see list of what is available to download (wouldn't that be what most ppl would want to do :p)
then if I'm not familiar with the series:
2) related links (info/description of the series + user comments/ratings + graphics + whatever else may apply)
3) if I like it, download it...
4) watch it :p
5) comments

long story short, sort of merge some of the sections and link it more with the forum :p

additionally, could add some graphics to the download/info pages... like maybe show a random [related] graphic submitted by users. (with some sort of link to the appropriate part of the forum of course :p)

mmm well, that's all I can think of so far... don't know how hard it would be to implement though :ph34r:

Edit: are the "new additions" kept up to date? cuz you seem to have episodes later on than those...

Nori

I would suggest a little change in the site design. The current one isn't bad I suppose, but with some changes it might encourage more interaction...

like for example, rather than having the multimedia and the information completely separate, have links to the series + episodes information (and comments) available from the download section...
I was thinking of doing exactly this, but haven't really had the time. Now I really don't have the time lol, because I just started school again.

additionally, could add some graphics to the download/info pages... like maybe show a random [related] graphic submitted by users. (with some sort of link to the appropriate part of the forum of course :p)
This might be good. But really there aren't to many users on the forum that have shown any ability in graphics that I would want to put on the site. Except me and another admin (Entombment, he's better than me lol)

Edit: are the "new additions" kept up to date? cuz you seem to have episodes later on than those...
It's normally kept up to date, but because of computer issues plus the site being down for 2 1/2 weeks, I haven't updated them yet.

This might be good. But really there aren't to many users on the forum that have shown any ability in graphics that I would want to put on the site. Except me and another admin (Entombment, he's better than me lol)
Well, I would think that it'd add to the looks of the site + encourage users to show off their work... meaning (hopefully) more activity...

Unfortunately I have no graphics skills :tongue:

Emeralda

Pistis Sophia
The banner gotta be changed, it kinda sucks. I bet it scares away a lot of people that come here. If someone already mentioned description and some random picture (even a scan from AnimePapers) for each anime serie to make it easier for others than I totally agree.

Entombment

Well, if you're talking about the banner on the main site, or the one on the forum, I suppose I could whip something up if Nori wants me too

As for the media/info pictures, I'm not sure exactly what you mean. What I'm getting out of it, is that you give an opportunity for the users to create some images, that would be placed on the info of it, with a random image generator. Sort of like, little tags created by users, maybe towards the bottom the bottom of the page

Is that what you meant?

And from what I've seen, Emmie's pretty good as well. She has the idea of the flow, making them fit, and they do look quite secksii if I do say so myself

Would it be possible to enable resume for downloads? And to compensate, maybe add a restriction of one ip per file ? (to prevent abuse by download managers)
I tried to download kenichi 46 a few times, and it starts, but then just stops. If resume were enabled, I could at least continue from where it ended rather than start over :unsure:

My downloads from other sites seem to be working fine...

Nori

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fiddlebox @ September 8, 2007, 11:05 PM) [snapback]10898[/snapback]</div>
Would it be possible to enable resume for downloads? And to compensate, maybe add a restriction of one ip per file ? (to prevent abuse by download managers)

I tried to download kenichi 46 a few times, and it starts, but then just stops. If resume were enabled, I could at least continue from where it ended rather than start over :unsure:

My downloads from other sites seem to be working fine...[/b]
If you have the resources for doing these things, then sure we can.

I don't have control over the server Kenichi 46 is on it is just an account with a lot of space not a server. What sites have resume...I've never seen any. I don't think that's something that I can do on my end.

Hmmm I don't know much about download manages & servers, but what I could dig up:
From what I understand as to how resume works, it just uses the Accept-Ranges specification (that definition's kinda boring, doesn't really explain much - it's just a specification)

This site has a better explanation of how it works: http://www.lassosoft.com/Documentation/TotW/index.lasso?9233

In any case, I read somewhere apache is supposed to support it by default for static files, so I'm guessing either it is disabled or it is using some other method to server the files.

As to how to make those changes (assuming you have enough access to do so, or can request it), I don't know what all is involved - as I said, I don't know much about them :p

Entombment

Well, as I've explained many times. The site already has an issue with download managers, due to the way the downloads are done

Because your computer sends one connection to the server, and the download manager has to send another. Automatically disallowing you to download at all if you have one

I have no problem downloading from other sites that have a xx second restriction between downloads or x downloads per ip (my configuration is 1 download/1 connection at a time, so it waits till the previous is done... plenty of time to avoid those problems)

If you can't do it, that's fine I guess - It'd just be nice to not have to start over when the download gets interrupted for any reason :smile:

Edit: I tried to download with just firefox, the same thing happens - it starts, goes for a while, then stops. I've had it stop at anywhere between 2% and 12% so far.

Entombment

I've checked the script multiple times. So for everyone that's having problems downloading, there's nothing that we can do about it. It's problems on that end of the connection, so really all you can do is check your settings and what not

And what files are you trying to download that keep cutting you off? 'Cause I've managed to download episodes from 8 different series just to test it, and none of them have cutoff for me

mmm offhand I remember trying bleach 139 and kenichi 46.
Probably not much that can be done about it, but here's one of my logs:
[codebox]11:57:16 AM 9/9/2007 Starting download...
11:57:16 AM 9/9/2007 GET /download.php?mirror=bleach2&file=Bleach%20-%20139.avi HTTP/1.1
Referer: http://www.animegelade.com/?ag=multimedia/...s/pu/bleach.php
Cookie: <a bit long>
Host: www.animegelade.com
11:57:16 AM 9/9/2007 HTTP/1.1 302 Found
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 17:33:25 GMT
Server: Apache/2.0.59 (Unix) mod_perl/1.99_17-dev Perl/v5.8.5 mod_ssl/2.0.59 OpenSSL/0.9.7a PHP/4.4.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2634
X-Powered-By: PHP/4.4.4
Set-Cookie: visited=true; expires=Sun, 09 Sep 2007 17:35:25 GMT
Location: http://media5.animegelade.net/episodes/bleach591/Bleach - 139.avi
Content-Length: 0
Keep-Alive: timeout=3, max=150
Connection: Keep-Alive
Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
11:57:16 AM 9/9/2007 Redirecting...
11:57:16 AM 9/9/2007 Redirection succeeded. Opening new URL
11:57:16 AM 9/9/2007 GET /episodes/bleach591/Bleach%20-%20139.avi HTTP/1.1
Referer: http://www.animegelade.com/?ag=multimedia/...s/pu/bleach.php
Cookie: <a bit long>
Host: media5.animegelade.net
11:57:17 AM 9/9/2007 HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 16:57:07 GMT
Server: Apache
Last-Modified: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 04:45:31 GMT
ETag: "1b510b1-aa053c8-4f0470c0"
Accept-Ranges: none
Content-Length: 178279368
Keep-Alive: timeout=10
Connection: Keep-Alive
Content-Type: video/x-msvideo
11:57:17 AM 9/9/2007 Opening file on the disk...
11:57:17 AM 9/9/2007 Succeeded
11:57:17 AM 9/9/2007 Preparing files on the disk... This may take several minutes
11:57:19 AM 9/9/2007 [Section 1] - Started
11:57:19 AM 9/9/2007 [Section 1] - Downloading
12:06:13 PM 9/9/2007 [Section 1] - Connection with the server was lost[/codebox]

Your connection must have timed out then. All I can really think of as the answer to that

Server works, so its just problems on the connection you're using

Well, I checked a few things on another connection, and it seems that the one I'm usually on has some very weird data transfer management.
Apparently your site does support resume, so... whatever data transfer management is being used on my connection is messing with the headers :mad:

so umm, sorry for the unnecessary request :unsure:

Nori

It's all good lol. It gave Entombment something to talk about for a few days lol. I kinda ignored it cause he was handling it lol.

Well, I ran a few more tests and apparently they only block partial content to/from servers on port 80. Do you support another port for downloads? Given that they explicitly block it, I doubt that requesting them to do something about it would do any good :dry:

Emeralda

Pistis Sophia
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Entombment @ September 9, 2007, 4:31 AM) [snapback]10889[/snapback]</div>
As for the media/info pictures, I'm not sure exactly what you mean. What I'm getting out of it, is that you give an opportunity for the users to create some images, that would be placed on the info of it, with a random image generator. Sort of like, little tags created by users, maybe towards the bottom the bottom of the page

Is that what you meant?[/b]
There's no need to create those. Even a random scan would do. > Here < is an example of more or less what I meant. As you can see from there, there's first an image, then a description and finally, the links.

And why not make a banner contest for the main site? The forum one would do as the colour theme blends well enough so one doesn't really pay attention to it.