Video games/Voilence

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lorthimyer @ 3-24-2007 @ 5:37 PM) [snapback]5362[/snapback]</div>
Well I mean would you give a kid in elementary school, an FPS like Doom 3? I think that's a case where the parents should stop the kid.[/b]
That's really where the parent's personal judgement should come into play. If the parent believes his/her kid can handle it then they should go ahead. It the parent thinks such games are too violent or just not right for their kids to play, they have every right to restrict access to said games.

Archangel

I believe that aswell . Im tired of hearing that video game Voilence is one of the reason the crime in the US is so high, Thats Bull , look where not the only country with voilent video game example Japan has major Voilent video games that cant be released here in the US , but there doing iight with crime. Also people say the same with music come on you decide wat you do , Yes when your young Parents have the responsiblity to teach you wats good and wat aint, and I know some people are menatly unstable so they shouldnt play them . Other than that your on your own , if you pull the trigger you did it no one else did , yeah you can say music made you or video games did but na, Those things are mostly lawyer sweet talking trying to save the person their deffending from going to jail or worse. This debate will go on forever since there will always be people trying to get free by blaming other thingsfor their actions and to tell you the truth i cant blame them cuz if you can getaway with it then why not.

Good way to say that.

And too add something, there are cases where it's not the violence but the people. South Korea, people played Starcraft or other games for so long that they died. That would be a crappy way to die to me.

Swiss

function Swiss()
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lorthimyer @ 3-25-2007 @ 1:08 AM) [snapback]5376[/snapback]</div>
Good way to say that.

And too add something, there are cases where it's not the violence but the people. South Korea, people played Starcraft or other games for so long that they died. That would be a crappy way to die to me.[/b]

Died from playing the games or from not eating because they were too obsessed with the game? I don't think they played the game extensively until they died. There has to be a third party involved. Like what I said before no food.

I find that people that think games make u better at using a gun are just stupid. i play shooter games all the time but in rl when i actuly use a gun to shoot at clay pidgons, well lets just say i need more practice >.<

I've played video games and such since I was... 8-ish... Yeah, it's true that a lot of games these days get my blood boiling kind of thing, because they're exciting. The important part of being a functioning part of society is that you need to know/learn when to turn that off. The people who go, "It was the Video Games!" or, "It was the music/movie/whatever" as their excuse are only afraid of what's going to happen to them for the action(s) that they performed.

Video games, movies and music don't make anyone do anything. At most, a person can just relate to what's happening in said mediums. Video games have got my juices flowin' many a times and I've never gone out and shot anyone... or beaten someone's head in with a crowbar. The most anything can do to "make" a person commit some violent act, is to give them a way to visualize their deepest, darkest desires and whatnot.

If you look at this in a pure psychological aspect, humans react the same way that most competitive mammals do... Very aggressive. Granted, not all humans are aggressive, but we've all got the tendency to be aggressive.

Another factor is how a person is raised. If said person is watching their parents fight and beat the living hell out of one another all the time, chances are that they're going to turn out fairly messed up in the head and that they're more likely to act the same way...

For anyone here who's seen the movie 300, did you dress up in a loin-cloth, wear a 25+ pound bronze shield, carry a sword and a spear and start killing people in your city or town? No? Hmmm...

the bottom line is that it all comes down to parenting
parents always have to tell their kids what is real and what is not and make them understand that
hell i never let any of my sisters see some movie or cartoon without telling them that its all make bileve stuff
its only resonbl to do so and every parent and brothr and sister should do that

Swiss

function Swiss()
Well I had to learn stuff for myself my mothers didn't help much so I decided what was good and what was wrong although she did guide me some what. But yea your kinda right.

I think people are inherintly violent but its human nature to deny human nature.
If people took responsibilty for their own actions, things would become a little quieter (at leat thats what i think)

I dunno now that you mention it, I kinda do want to dress spartan and kill people in the middle of town, I never really thought it it that way. :p

I completely agree on the parenting aspect of things, if a child isn't old enough to tell the difference from right or wrong (or is still in the "emulating" stage where they think it's cool to act out Video Games or Jackass stunts) Then...I dunno, maybe the parents should restrict them (Amazing Concept)

There are rating systems on movies and games for a reason. Sure, I'm sure some kids will still turn out alright being exposed at a young age, but you'll always have those desperate for attention ones that will get a chainsaw out and start chasing other kids around the playground.

Well, either way. It's up to how the parents raise the children. If they're old enough to understand that it's just a video game, then it should be okay. It's not a video game/movie's fault. The parents shouldn't allow them to watch/play them, until they make them realize that they aren't real, and the actions shouldn't be repeated

I have a little 8 year old brother who has played all the GTAs and plenty of other 15s and 18s while also watching 15 and 18 films since he was 4 starting with starship troopers and yes I know that kinda makes me a bad older brother but these have had no effect on him what so ever. No one even had to point out they were fiction he worked it out by himself ^^ and if a 4 year old can work it out I think anyone else should be able to as well.

The question is one of diathesis. The fact that each of you and your local family have done well with video games is anecdotal evidence - that's the kind of evidence that may convince you, but has no scientific value, because not everyone has the same personality as you do. When discussing society's use of violent media, one must look at the effects on society as a whole, not on any one component of it, and that requires a lot of painful research spanning thousands of individuals and their perceptions.

Whether you specifically play/watch/enjoy violent video games/movies/sports shows means little. If permitted in society, these games/movies/sports are available to everyone in that society. You get them, but so does the creepy kid on the corner who's always talking about how awesome it is to hunt deer and miss vital organs so it bleeds longer. So does the scrawny guy sitting alone at lunchtime who hates himself, his life, and everyone in it - not just 'Emo Joe', plying for attention, but the real deal, Columbine style. So do the groups of teens hanging out in alleyways, talking tough about beating and killing because it's so much fun to pretend to be cool like gangsters.

The problem isn't what violent media will do to you - it's what it will do to people much stupider than you, people with serious mental handicaps, with criminal anger, or perhaps those whose brains were twisted in the womb when their mothers drank too much. Maybe normal people can sit back and enjoy violence, but it's these unfortunates who take the fantasy too far. Those are the people that watch the violence and are swayed by it, who find it acceptable or see it as a release from their problems.

Those are the ones who pick up the guns and shoot reasonable people like you. Guess what? There's no computer chip or special license to separate them from us. They get what we get. What the people who speak out against media violence want is to keep the media from people like them, not people like you, and they do it because they're afraid they will be the ones shot by the next idiot who believes that blood washes away regret. Since they don't like the games anyways, they don't care if society as a whole bans them.