vB License Charity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emeralda

Pistis Sophia
Rawr, after talking with G2 members, and later with Alan, we got a green light for buying a vB license and converting back to vB. We already had some people that initially agreed to donate, and rawr, well, yeah, it should go swell~ Also, yays to Kaze for giving us a huge heads up! =^.^=

The goal is 200$ (license) + 10$ (tax) = 210$ in total

You can donate on the main site, there is this donators thingy there, and when you do, email abarnes13@gmail.com (Alan's email) saying how much you sent for vB license goal.

Currently in progress:

Kaze Araki - 100$
Rascal - 20$

Rascal

:| wow @Kaze Araki *bows* u must really love us

@Emeralda is it permanent? idk how these things work

why does it say 361 total on there?
anyhow ill donate later tonight/tomorrow morning ne

Emeralda

Pistis Sophia
The main site thing are normally donations towards the server, but if you send an email to Alan that it's towards the vB license, it will go to that fund. For now I'm gathering how who donated to reward everyone~

Rascal

eh @__@ how expensive is it to run this stuff? D: is it like... monthy fees... or...?

btw <.< im not made of money like kaze dearest, but i can spare like 20 bucks ^^"

Tempest

The Lotus Eater
Staff member
I am truly amazed how Noex who said he likes how it is now had his post deleted. Really, that's something. What the hell is this, China? Spoke with G2 members? I see no poll. Yeah sure, the select few over msn that would support this course of action but the mass public? Huh.

Kaze Araki

Libertarian Communist
I am truly amazed how Noex who said he likes how it is now had his post deleted. Really, that's something. What the hell is this, China?
I'm glad you said that, and here I thought you never favor democracy.
Noex can convey what he feels, others can judge his statement by themselves.

Kaze Araki

Libertarian Communist
Btw @Tempest, I am also not aware of the main reason behind the moving out from vB and only know latter about the obstacle.
If we to follow your "polling" advice (for donation), I can guaranty you that we will not be moving away from vB.

Tempest

The Lotus Eater
Staff member
Lastly, this so called talks with G2 members, I wonder if they were told the full length of what this would mean. There is no "converting back to vBulletin". vBulletin has not made any tools to make a conversion from xenForo to vBulletin. Only IPB has done that. Going back to vBulletin would actually be simpler than that. It would mean rolling back the database to before AT merged. In simple words, anything that was posted, threads, VMs, etc after AT was added on would disappear. So I would differ on how a polling would go after people understand the real consequences here.

Canabary

Administrator
Btw @Tempest, I am also not aware of the main reason behind the moving out from vB and only know latter about the obstacle.
If we to follow your "polling" advice (for donation), I can guaranty you that we will not be moving away from vB.
Then here is the full story for you and everyone else.

The vB installation was illegal. Due to this we've always been at risk of losing everything (servers, site, forums, the lot). Recently we recieved a cease and decist notice from Vbulletin. A demand we dealyed for as long as possible, until we were forced to follow their instructions to avoid any legal action against Alan or the server owner (Boyd).We had been looking to legitimize the forum software anyway, we were simply rushed by this notice.

Since we already had IPB and Xenforo licenses it was decided that the most logical action would be to convert the forum into one of those. Since Eduardo already knew xenforo's coding system, has coded mods for it, the software itself runs better on the server, is considered faster, and a large ammount of the member base was already comfortable with xenforo it seemed like a no brainer to go for the xenforo system.

We already pay a monthly fee of over $300 USD for the servers, over $160 USD of which are directly connected to the server the forum runs on. As such we saw no financial logic what so ever in spending over $200 USD for a vBulletin license. Certainly not a vBulletin 4.0 license when there was never any intent or desire to upgrade from 3.8.7 to vB 4.0 to begin with. I personally can not see the logic in paying over $200 USD for a software that is considered by its creators outdated and is entirely unsupported by vBulletin themselves.

Further the financial benefits of the forum, which is next to nill, does not in any way justify an extra expenditure of $200 USD from our side. That's not speaking ill of the forum and its members, it's simply a numerical fact. There is nothing to justify this expense.

Kaze Araki

Libertarian Communist
You talk about consequences after doing things without asking fellow forumers, where are we? In China?
How about thinking of the consequences before you do what you did? A forum is a collection of people, not one man show.

Tempest

The Lotus Eater
Staff member
I would urge you to read Canabary's post and my PM to you over again. It clearly explains why the decisions were made.

Canabary

Administrator
You talk about consequences after doing things without asking fellow forumers, where are we? In China?
How about thinking of the consequences before you do what you did? A forum is a collection of people, not one man show.
With all due respect, you, Emmie or any of the other members are not directly financially or legally responsible. Those who are have to do what is necessary to protect themselves and the site. Servers cost money, as does licenes. The only reason the forum wasn't changed the moment we recieved the cease and decist notice was to give people time to prepare. If the forum staff did not do so then blame them. We notified them that a change would happen as soon as we recieved the cease and decist notice, yet waited two weeks in an attempt to prepare an easier transition and give staff time to notify the members.

abarnes

Staff member
Emeralda, this seems to have turned into a coup de'tat on your behalf and I'm not liking the direction this is turning. You are pretty selfish, but you accuse others being just that.

You have abused your power in even this post alone, not only the entire boards, you have tried to silence a member of the boards who in fact said he does like the new boards and you have been against this change from the beginning, I in fact never agreed to the change to vB, you made the power move from IPB in the beginning while I was at work, working to pay bills.

Canabary

Administrator
vB $.0 $195, I'm so tempted to make the forum owned by everyone via donation.
Blame me for my collectivist tendency. :D
License means squat all without the server. So If you want to have a forum owned by everyone then you need to go pay for a monthly server. Funnily enough, only the person who is named on the server lease will be legally responsible.

abarnes

Staff member
vB $.0 $195, I'm so tempted to make the forum owned by everyone via donation.
Blame me for my collectivist tendency. :D
Just because you donate does not mean you would own the boards, a donation is a donation. This is not the stock exchange you are not buying into a chair on the board.

If this were the case, there are farrr bigger donors than you.

Status
Not open for further replies.