Trigun Movie Planned for 2009

The promotional cover wrapper on the 14th and final volume (released on Wednesday) of Yasuhiro Nightow's Trigun Maximum manga has revealed a 2009 opening for the previously announced Trigun theatrical animation project. The tentatively titled "Trigun the Movie" project will feature a completely original story from Nightow and Trigun series director Satoshi Nishimura (Hajime no Ippo/Fighting Spirit, Shin Cho Bakumatsu Shonen Seiki Takamaru), as well as a script by Yasuko Kobayashi (Claymore, Shakugan no Shana, Witchblade anime). Takahiro Yoshimatsu (Jubei-chan - Secret of the Lovely Eyepatch, Ninja Scroll series) will return from the Trigun television series to design the characters that Madhouse will animate.

The manga's cover wrapper indicates the story will be about "Vash vs. Wolfwood," the two main characters of the popular manga.
Source: ANN

this is great, I can't wait. I'm also relieved actually, when I read the title I thought it was going to be a live-action movie but now that I know its animated I'm happy.

Dante

Devil Hunter of Hell
This is great! An animated Trigun movie is gonna be awesome.

If it WAS going to be live action, I was gonna run for the hills.....I mean, I already have countless times because this country ruins great animes. Live action movies is a close second

Judging from the article...
The promotional cover wrapper on the 14th and final volume (released on Wednesday) of Yasuhiro Nightow's Trigun Maximum manga has revealed a 2009 opening for the previously announced Trigun theatrical animation project. The tentatively titled "Trigun the Movie" project will feature a completely original story from Nightow and Trigun series director Satoshi Nishimura (Hajime no Ippo/Fighting Spirit, Shin Cho Bakumatsu Shonen Seiki Takamaru), as well as a script by Yasuko Kobayashi (Claymore, Shakugan no Shana, Witchblade anime). Takahiro Yoshimatsu (Jubei-chan - Secret of the Lovely Eyepatch, Ninja Scroll series) will return from the Trigun television series to design the characters that Madhouse will animate.

The manga's cover wrapper indicates the story will be about "Vash vs. Wolfwood," the two main characters of the popular manga.
I'd say it's going to just going be either a side story or alternate version of the series. At this point we don't really have enough information to say for sure.

Trigun was one of the first few anime that I downloaded and watched. When I heard about a Trigun movie I thought it was pretty cool. I heard about this like 2 years ago I think so I guess they've been planning and making this for a while.