The Origin of Sadness

Xiga

Wow... Broad question.
Sadness is something that is SO indevidual there is no particulair origin from where all of the sadness can come from. It comes from the person it affects, in my opinion.

Sadness is also a deffenition question. Are you sad because you lost money? Are you sad because you didnt ge what you wanted, or got too much? Sadness over a loss? Is it major sadness that will last for long or is it just a small sadness that can come from leaving something you liked, but you know you will go back to it eventually..?

What is sadness over all? So to your first question I dont have any direct answers... For the second one:

Yes you can observe sadness in animals. But I think that sadness in the animal kingdom is more definable. For an example; I dont think that.. For example, Eagles would be so sad if they lost their pray once or twice or that they would get so sad if they werent the fastest flyer. But since eagles mate for life, they would get sad if their mate died. That would be devistating for them and things like that I think would make them sad.
I think sadness in the animal kindom = Loss of a mate, or a pack member. That is what makes them sad. Or so I think, I mean, I don't speak animal... o.o

Arachna

Spider
Staff member
Sadness is the emotion resulting from a loss ?I think... A wide variety of losses can trigger sadness.
Of course these include loss of status, hope, trust, health, life, companionship, or of something material or sentimental.
The death of a child or other loved one often causes the most intense sadness. An emotion that all animals have. Or at least i think so.

I know since animals cannot speak, interpreting their emotions or even ascertaining whether they experience emotions is difficult.
However i do think they can feel sadness. Just as much as they can feel fear.Or joy.

Charles Darwin in his book "The Expression of the Emotions in Man and Animals" observed that animals feel joy, affection, excitement, sadness, anger and fear and meticulously documented the evidence.
In the following century, Jane Goodall's observations of chimpanzees showed animals were emotionally similar to humans.

Jane Goodall discovered that, like humans, chimpanzees communicate emotion through vocalization, facial expression, body language and touch. She identified hoots signifying enjoyment, excitement, fear, distress, anger and puzzlement. Goodall also found chimps could be altruistic -- forming friendships or rearing orphans as their own -- or violently aggressive -- waging "war" against each other.

In 2008 gorillas at Munster zoo appeared to exhibit grief at bereavement. According to scientists at Britain's Portsmouth University, primates laugh, and baby chimps' faces express as many different emotions as human babies. Even rodents have been shown in experiments to demonstrate empathy. Dr. Nathan Emery, a Cambridge University zoologist believes birds of the crow family (corvids, especially ravens) rival the apes in their degree and range of emotions.
Desmond Morris observed comparative emotional expressions across the spectrum of animals and humans,also.
A difference Morris observed was that human body language is more complex.
Identical gestures express disparate meanings in different cultures, leading to offence or confusion.
Unlike other animals, humans can express emotion through speech, but gestures are faster, more emphatic and are understood from a distance.
Human brains are complex, meaning we have a great range of emotional subtlety to convey. There are physical reasons, however, why human expressions are more complex than those of other animals.etc..

And also. I did find this : [YOUTUBE]EWxCM6llL60[/YOUTUBE]

It is about a gorilla. Named Koko.

Kaze Araki

Libertarian Communist
So, apes in general also exhibit this type of emotion.
But where on evolutionary line did it arisen from?
And what is its biological purpose within the context of species survivability?

Core

Fascinating...
Communication. I have tried to explain communication and the link to causal pro-evolution in multiple threads now.

Ifyou need me to go over it again I will but to me it always comes back down to "communication of the condition".

-lexus-

Visions of Hell
Sadness is like pain, only where pain is physical, sadness is psychological. Pain tells you there is something physically wrong with your body, sadness tells you that there is something wrong psychologically. I suppose it therefor 'evolved' around the same time creatures evolved pain. So, starting when life became more complex then single celled beings.

Core

Fascinating...
Sadness is like pain, only where pain is physical, sadness is psychological. Pain tells you there is something physically wrong with your body, sadness tells you that there is something wrong psychologically. I suppose it therefor 'evolved' around the same time creatures evolved pain. So, starting when life became more complex then single celled beings.

I refuse to believe emotions are a form of evolution >.> de-evolution sure, even the evolution of communication is a form of de-evolution since the meanings and definitions get unnecessarily convoluted.

Why would any creature willfully evolve to give themselves emotions and psychological pain?

Arachna

Spider
Staff member
I think without pain animals or humans can not learn. We do learn on the mistakes we do and the pain. Don't we Core?

-lexus-

Visions of Hell
Why would any creature willfully evolve to give themselves emotions and psychological pain?
Willfully evolve. Really, lets say that again, willfully evolve. It pains me to read that combination of word. Are you truly under the delusion that anyone on this planet has any say on what path evolution takes?

Core

Fascinating...
Willfully evolve. Really, lets say that again, willfully evolve. It pains me to read that combination of word. Are you truly under the delusion that anyone on this planet has any say on what path evolution takes?
An intelligent fool can make anything infinitely more complicated...

Oh hi lex didnt see you there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applications_of_evolution

Click the damn link for a change dont discount it cause it says WIKIPEDIA on it im not in the mood to find every single damn article. Artificial selection -> Directed Evolution

I think without pain animals or humans can not learn. We do learn on the mistakes we do and the pain. Don't we Core?
No offense darling but: OH THATS WHY WE HAVE THESE TORTURE CENTERS CALLED SCHOOLS IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW!
Rash oversimplification arachna. Sowwy.

-lexus-

Visions of Hell
An intelligent fool can make anything infinitely more complicated...

Oh hi lex didnt see you there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applications_of_evolution

Click the damn link for a change dont discount it cause it says WIKIPEDIA on it im not in the mood to find every single damn article.
Okay I stand corrected. Humans can actually influence the evolution of some domestic animals and flowers on an extremely limited scale.

Still, in your original statement you said "Why would any creature willfully evolve to have..." implying these creatures have any influence over their own evolution. Which is definitely not true yet.

Core

Fascinating...
You are correct, I was just mostly focussed on getting you to atleast eat some of your own words :D

Actually it is a question. And the reason why I asked: Why would any creature willfully evolve to have emotions?
Is because no creature would, in fact no creature can. While I am willing to admit communication and the evolution of communication lead to instinct and certain feelings being misinterpreted and the brain simply turned the mistake into reality miss association of definitions etc.

My point is: The evolution of communication lead to a de-evolution of the human psyche. Humans were not meant to be burdened by the heavy set emotions they experience now and certainly not in the drastic overflow in which you see them in the world today.(A grown man crying over being rejected on mtv...)
Thats why I asked that specific question. I am sorry to report that most of the people in my family are considered heartless and ruthless bastards not because they are actually bloodthirsty and cutthroat but because in most cases they cant bring themselves to care. At a certain point when I was a kid I asked my grandfather about it and he asked: Why would any creature willfully evolve to have emotions and feelings about -everything-?

Core

Fascinating...
Lol Core. XD Just lol.

An explanation should be no more complicated than necessary. :p

Did you not like me totally serious answer to your totally serious reply?!

And not everything is ockham's razer :p

Seriously though what response did you expect when you started your argument with: Without pain humans and animals do not learn.

I was like... well everyone complains about school being hell so youve got a point there!

-lexus-

Visions of Hell
You are correct, I was just mostly focussed on getting you to atleast eat some of your own words :D

Actually it is a question. And the reason why I asked: Why would any creature willfully evolve to have emotions?
Is because no creature would, in fact no creature can. While I am willing to admit communication and the evolution of communication lead to instinct and certain feelings being misinterpreted and the brain simply turned the mistake into reality miss association of definitions etc.

My point is: The evolution of communication lead to a de-evolution of the human psyche. Humans were not meant to be burdened by the heavy set emotions they experience now and certainly not in the drastic overflow in which you see them in the world today.(A grown man crying over being rejected on mtv...)
Thats why I asked that specific question. I am sorry to report that most of the people in my family are considered heartless and ruthless bastards not because they are actually bloodthirsty and cutthroat but because in most cases they cant bring themselves to care. At a certain point when I was a kid I asked my grandfather about it and he asked: Why would any creature willfully evolve to have emotions and feelings about -everything-?
Thats not evolution, or even a result of evolution. Its not even that our own emotions have suddenly grown stronger then before. Thats just cultural. The cause of it is cultural (failure is seen as something shameful, the fact that you missed your chance of ultimate stardom makes the loss seem much bigger then it actually is, etc) and the result is cultural (Its okay to show Im sad, Im an individual and I must act on all my emotions, etc). Look at Japan or China for example. Someone might experience the same loss but he wouldnt cry because hes a guy and guys dont cry and because crying in public brings more shame upon you, or the fact that he lost on tv isnt considered to be such a personal failure.

If it was a result of evolution then we were meant to do this. Evolutionary mistakes die off, evolutionary successes spread. If crying on tv is the result of more intense emotions, then it was a success seeing how a lot more people do it like this.

Core

Fascinating...
Wait wait no are you calling it humanity's destiny? o.o

I am not one to attribute specific purpose to evolution in any sense of the word(purpose) but to say it was humanity's destiny is a stretch dont you think?

-lexus-

Visions of Hell
No Im not calling it destiny, Im saying that since we have it, it must serve some evolutionary advantage somewhere. That is, IF it truly is caused by evolution, which I think is not the case. I believe its cultural remember?

Core

Fascinating...
No Im not calling it destiny, Im saying that since we have it, it must serve some evolutionary advantage somewhere. That is, IF it truly is caused by evolution, which I think is not the case. I believe its cultural remember?

Thats kinda funny cause I keep seeing all these people who delude themselves with religions and other weird fake cult crap. Call it destiny, Call it culture who cares right? but if they are inherently wrong in their perceptions they will go down a road that could by your argument lead them to a disadvantageous evolution.

Theres 2 sides to that coin

-lexus-

Visions of Hell
Thats kinda funny cause I keep seeing all these people who delude themselves with religions and other weird fake cult crap. Call it destiny, Call it culture who cares right? but if they are inherently wrong in their perceptions they will go down a road that could by your argument lead them to a disadvantageous evolution.

Theres 2 sides to that coin
Biological evolution? Doesnt have to. Cultures can assimilated and changed into other cultures, causing the people that follow them to be able to keep their genes in the genepool. It is however possible, that their culture does lead them to a road of self destruction, causing their particular genepool to be almost wiped out. For example, the culture on Easter Island was such a disadvantage to them, that it was only a tiny fraction of the original population that was discovered by the Europeans. The rest was already dead. Or I believe some Indian tribe in Mexico who, through their extreme amount of ritual sacrifice caused their civilization to collapse.

Core

Fascinating...
Biological evolution? Doesnt have to. Cultures can assimilated and changed into other cultures, causing the people that follow them to be able to keep their genes in the genepool. It is however possible, that their culture does lead them to a road of self destruction, causing their particular genepool to be almost wiped out. For example, the culture on Easter Island was such a disadvantage to them, that it was only a tiny fraction of the original population that was discovered by the Europeans. The rest was already dead. Or I believe some Indian tribe in Mexico who, through their extreme amount of ritual sacrifice caused their civilization to collapse.

Remember I didnt say you were wrong I said theres 2 sides to the coin, so I think on this subject we've run aground. Since you agreed it does happen :p