The Case of Jeffrey Lionel Dahmer

Kaze Araki

Libertarian Communist
From the eyes of Robert Ressler;

[YOUTUBE]2SIK29rCVfo[/YOUTUBE]

Ressler firmly believe that Dahmer was mentally ill when he committed his crime. Not allowed to testify in front of the court (despite his second to none expertise), the Judge ultimately rejected the insanity plea and Dahmer was sentenced to life imprisonment. He died later in 1994, beaten to death by another inmate. His parent, in their sadness, can only show confusion at how Dahmer can become what he become. This reality raises me several questions;

- Can evil (the lack of empathy) be born instead of made?
- Can Justice apply to them (for being what they are)?
- If God exist, why do God created them?

Arachna

Spider
Staff member
I think lack of empathy can be born. Instead of made. There are cases where children/infants where born with the lack of emotions.With lack of..humanity would be a better word.
Evil can be created by both nature and nurture. I can't say the environment and education and circumstances do not afect evil. To grow /be born/ be made.
But there has to be something in people in general. That makes them snap like that. And turn into a monsters.
Or maybe we are the monsters from the beggining. We just try to cover it with rules,morality and empathy as such.
Maybe it is a part of our genes. And maybe not.

I don't think Justice can be applied to them. If they do not have empathy (sense of guilt as the main thing i am refering to) then i think there is no point in trying anything else then removing them from society. Or in extreme cases taking their life.

I don't know how to reply on the last question. Since i am not sure in what i do believe. But in any case 100% it is not God/entity with power to rule over life and death.

Zero Phoenix

The Second Coming of Hazama
His majesty returns.

Finally, something to sink my teeth into.

- Can Justice apply to them (for being what they are)?
1) It's a given that evil is born into us, just as good is. From the moment we are conceived we have both good and evil. We've been over this countless times. Our actions in life determine whether we embrace the good or the evil that lay within us. While enablers might claim that a person's environment makes them what they are, the environment only plays a small part. When crossing the line between good and evil the choice is always in the hands of the person themselves. I grew up in part in the hood and in part on the streets surrounded by gangs, drug dealers, violence and the like. Obviously I didn't turn out a certain way because of my environment did I? With regards to people who are mentally ill, I could get controversial but because I haven't the patience I'll keep it PC. People who are born with a certain type of mental illness cannot, in good conscience, be regarded as the same as other criminals. Who knows what goes on in the mind of someone who is mentally ill? They don't obviously, and while doctors have made a career out of getting us to believe that they can, really they aren't sure themselves. Otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion or asking these questions. We cannot, in sound logic regard a mental patience who at times, may not have control over his/her actions, to be the same as a typical criminal who at any point is fully in control of their actions. It's a gray area. Perhaps the only one in the world.

2) Of course. The thing that people "in today's world" need to realize is that Justice and Mercy are two completely different things. If a mental patient has no control over their actions and they make a mistake and kill someone, then they are to be killed in kind. This is Justice. However, the more merciful act would be to take into account their illness, their circumstance, and the like. We as humans clamor for Justice despite the fact that we rarely understand all of it's implications. Justice has become a common word but when one intelligently takes that word apart, mercy starts to look far more humane. So while we can apply justice to them (eye for an eye) it may not be the most humane thing to do with regards to their situation. Bear in mind however that upholding Justice typically comes at the cost of doing that which is humane. We cannot uphold both.

3) Given your stance I'm wondering why you asked that question? Given my stance I'm wondering why I am even going to attempt to answer. This is sure to test my patience but I will elaborate anyway. Humans assume that if a person is evil then God must have made them that way. People assume that if circumstances force a person to become evil God must have allowed those circumstances to happen. Nevermind the fact that God, by nature is God and therefore cannot create evil. Nevermind the fact that a persons environment cannot push them over the edge. And of course they never pay attention to the fact that while God is the most powerful supernatural being, He is not the only force at work. If you raise questions about God and goodness then you must, in a way, raise questions about the devil and that which is evil.

I think lack of empathy can be born. Instead of made. There are cases where children/infants where born with the lack of emotions.With lack of..humanity would be a better word.

Your first statement begs me to argue with you yet I'm trying to find the logic in it. Well, the fact is empathy is never inborn. Empathy is a trait that must be learned. Empathy comes from pain. Only when a person experiences the same pain as someone else can they learn to empathize with them. So empathy is never inborn because it can't be inborn. It's not possible. A fetus has little in the way of interpersonal experience. So while I agree that empathy is not inborn, I don't agree with your logic on the basis of why that is.

Evil can be created by both nature and nurture. I can't say the environment and education and circumstances do not afect evil. To grow /be born/ be made. But there has to be something in people in general. That makes them snap like that. And turn into a monsters.

Interesting.

Or maybe we are the monsters from the beggining. We just try to cover it with rules,morality and empathy as such. Maybe it is a part of our genes. And maybe not.
I won't agree to that.

I don't think Justice can be applied to them. If they do not have empathy (sense of guilt as the main thing i am refering to) then i think there is no point in trying anything else then removing them from society. Or in extreme cases taking their life.

I'm sorry my dear could you elaborate? I think I understand what you're saying and I may agree but I'm not sure what your argument is. Are you arguing that because we can't apply justice to them then we should "remove" them from society? Or are you arguing that because we can't apply justice to them that we can't "remove" them from society?

I don't know how to reply on the last question. Since i am not sure in what i do believe. But in any case 100% it is not God/entity with power to rule over life and death.
Ah but Arachna, if you aren't sure what you believe in then how can we know if your arguments have any value? I'm not going to Zero Phoenix you so don't worry. Rather you've fallen into a logical trap and I want to see how you will get out of it. If you aren't sure what to believe in (God contra no God) then how can you be sure of any of your other beliefs? And if you don't know what to believe, on what grounds can we measure the validity of your arguments?

Arachna

Spider
Staff member
Finally, something to sink my teeth into.
:grin: :cute:

Your first statement begs me to argue with you yet I'm trying to find the logic in it. Well, the fact is empathy is never inborn. Empathy is a trait that must be learned. Empathy comes from pain. Only when a person experiences the same pain as someone else can they learn to empathize with them. So empathy is never inborn because it can't be inborn. It's not possible. A fetus has little in the way of interpersonal experience. So while I agree that empathy is not inborn, I don't agree with your logic on the basis of why that is.
Hmz..Ok. I see my mistake. I was wrong.
Some of the research shows that empathy is an inborn trait, a key feature of human nature, and evident even in our closest primate relatives.

But our capacity for empathy is largely dependent upon the love and attention we receive during childhood. If your childhood was extremely abusive or barren of love, you may end up having “zero degrees" of empathy.

Why?

I won't agree to that.
Why? XD

I'm sorry my dear could you elaborate? I think I understand what you're saying and I may agree but I'm not sure what your argument is. Are you arguing that because we can't apply justice to them then we should "remove" them from society? Or are you arguing that because we can't apply justice to them that we can't "remove" them from society?
I am saying i don't think they can adapt to our society.
Cos we don't lack in empathy. We will not remove them from the society, even if some of them are a dangerous threat to people around them.

Ah but Arachna, if you aren't sure what you believe in then how can we know if your arguments have any value? I'm not going to Zero Phoenix you so don't worry. Rather you've fallen into a logical trap and I want to see how you will get out of it. If you aren't sure what to believe in (God contra no God) then how can you be sure of any of your other beliefs? And if you don't know what to believe, on what grounds can we measure the validity of your arguments?
Oh my.. Oh my..

Humanism describes the values that I have adopted, through an innate sense of right and wrong, to fill the gaps created by the removal of those beliefs. But neither the terms Atheist nor Humanist nor "believer" individually describe me very well at all.

Throughout history, humankind has paid reverence to beliefs and mystical thinking. Organized religion has played the most significant role in the support and propagation of beliefs and faith. This has resulted in an acceptance of beliefs in general.
I am not saying this is not true. I am saying i am looking beyond it.

Can we predict future events, act on data, theories, and facts without resorting to the ownership of belief? I think one does not need beliefs in "gods" or *no gods" of any kind to establish scientific facts, observe and enjoy nature, or live a productive, moral, and useful life. Or in my case. To conclude facts. I don't really need a God or an atheist's way of thinking.
All i need is my little brain and a lot of curiosity.

Zero Phoenix

Evil can be created by both nature and nurture. I can't say the environment and education and circumstances do not afect evil. To grow /be born/ be made. But there has to be something in people in general. That makes them snap like that. And turn into a monsters.

I found it interesting that you were correct. I will say that one's upbringing and environment plays "some" role in how they grow up but of course internal mechanisms are always the determining factor. Still, when people do finally snap it's hard to say which (internal mechanisms contra outside stimuli) are responsible for them breaking.

Or maybe we are the monsters from the beggining. We just try to cover it with rules,morality and empathy as such. Maybe it is a part of our genes. And maybe not.
I said I wouldn't agree to this because it's not exactly true. If we were monsters from the beginning then we wouldn't try to cover it up with rules, morality, and empathy. A monster realizes that's all it is and does not aspire to be anything more. It's so deliciously simple in a way. If we as people are monsters, then we would recognize that fact and therefore, feel no need to create rules, follow ethical codes and the like. We as people are civilized enough to recognize ourselves as more than beasts, such is the reason we have civilization (John Locke, Jean-Paul Sartre).

Also, I won't agree to your argument because you contradict yourself. In your previous argument you alluded to the potentiality that empathy is inborn. I argued that it was not. However, you continued with this:

Some of the research shows that empathy is an inborn trait, a key feature of human nature, and evident even in our closest primate relatives.

But our capacity for empathy is largely dependent upon the love and attention we receive during childhood. If your childhood was extremely abusive or barren of love, you may end up having “zero degrees" of empathy.
If empathy is inborn then we can't technically hide behind it so as to veil the fact that we're monsters according to your earlier position. Monsters do not have empathy. That's one of the components that makes them such. However, you argue that we are born with empathy thus negating any possibility that humans by nature are monsters. You contradicted your argument and never mind the fact that I didn't agree with your argument on the basis of ethics, this reinforces my standpoint.

Canabary

Administrator
In my opinion no one is born as evil or good. In fact as I understand, the words differ greatly based on the person expressing them. The definitions of these words are entirely subjective, and what is evil for one person can actually be good for another. Just look at a typical bible belt protest, or an islamic protest against drawings of their prophet, or even scientfic groups protesting religion, every one of them use "Evil" as a way to describe the other (some indirectly) for the other."Gays are evil, the work of the devil", "Islam is evil to the core", "The west and their evil intentions", "The church and their cynical and evil approach", "An institution of evil". If the terms are universal they simply all can't be evil, in fact none of them are.

If a person were to be born as either evil or good, these "hidden attributes" that define us as people, it would stand to reason that they would be asbolute and objective, not subjective. Now we can say that murder, theft, lies, deciet, actions that awake intense negative feelings within us would be evil, and to us they are, but if their reactions and emotional responses to these actions aren't the same then how can they be evil? They aren't looking to cause negative feelings in themselves, they aren't attempting to be "evil". To them these actions aren't evil, they are simple actions.

Although I do not believe in the absolute of good and evil, I do believe that some unfortuante people are born with neural defects that cause their understanding of the world and the logical implications of their actions to be twisted and flawed. Or as you say to be born with a lack of empathy. Their emotional response to certain actions and events differ greatly from that which we would consider the norm. Their understanding of murder can simply be "to end the trouble", they don't see the "human" or emotional side of it. They simply can't see the "ending a life", "causing pain", "emotional distress" part of the equation because they do not understand these emotions. As a result they would not understand our reactions. Some of these people can even feel a sense of enjoyment when they cause emotional distress, in part because they see their lack of emotions as a superior trait and find it laughable that someone is confined by it.

"Justice" is not there for the deceased or the "criminal". It is there for the family of the deceased and people close to them. Although I'm a firm believer of keeping society safe through justice and that actions should have consequences, the "justice" in a murder trial has no baring on the victim (deceased), nor the criminal if their mental defects prevent the "correct" emotional response. Should we pardon people of blame simply because they do not understand the consequences of their actions, or the emotional side of it? In my opinion no. However putting them away in prisions won't "do" anything other than put the problem out of view for "normal" people. We are simply locking away people we do not understand. They still have to recieve "justice" because the people left behind would feel robbed, cheated and probably angered if they didn't, but in the great scheme of things it won't change who they are, how they think or what they believe. In fact putting people with a defect that causes a severe lack of empathy with other murderers and hardened criminals will probably only reaffirm their thought patterns.

They have to be accountable for their actions, certainly. Protecting society at large is vitally important to our survival as a species, but we need to find better ways than just locking them up in prisions and institutions. Not that we'll be making this a priority any time soon.

If God does create every human, I would imagine the plans behind every single one of us would be far too complicated for me to wrap my head around. However, if I were to attempt to speculate I would begin by trying to understand what they are first. They are people, like us, but with a different brain chemistry, a different approach to logic and thought. Let's assume for a minute that we (the norm) aren't the alpha omega of the human race, then we could in fact be created so that they can learn to adapt their thought patterns, our logical assumptions, our approach to empathy, so that they can adopt their thought patterns to work together. And we, quite possible, should be looking to understand their way of thinking. If there is a big plan, a big scheme, then I would assume the differences are there for a reason, and that we would need to learn from the differences. Maybe their way of thought isn't completely wrong, maybe if we did adopt their way of thinking to certain problems we would see more of the "puzzle". That is assuming there is a "puzzle" to be solved.

We could also take the "challenge" approach, as religion so often does. If God created these people to "challenge" us, then maybe we're supposed to find ways to heal them, to have them become more like us, or maybe it's simply a matter of making us understand that there are ways of thinking out there that differ from our own, and that we will have to learn to accept and adopt to this in order to advance as a species.

In all honesty though I personally do not believe each and every one of us is created by an all mighty god. I believe that we are the product of an advanced chemical and biological process that has an astonishingly great potential for, for the lack of a better word "mishaps", and that these "mishaps" causes differences from the "norm". These differences can display themselves through genetic disease, pre-mature birth, mental defects or physical defects (based on our "norm"), and possibly through a number of ways we've yet to discover. In this case, assuming there is a god, "the stage has been set", "the premise is built", but the story and the characters are our own creation.

Zero Phoenix

Never one to rock the boat or uphold the state of ethics? As expected from Canabary.

In my opinion no one is born as evil or good. In fact as I understand, the words differ greatly based on the person expressing them. The definitions of these words are entirely subjective, and what is evil for one person can actually be good for another. Just look at a typical bible belt protest, or an islamic protest against drawings of their prophet, or even scientfic groups protesting religion, every one of them use "Evil" as a way to describe the other (some indirectly) for the other."Gays are evil, the work of the devil", "Islam is evil to the core", "The west and their evil intentions", "The church and their cynical and evil approach", "An institution of evil". If the terms are universal they simply all can't be evil, in fact none of them are..
Of course the issue here is your opinion isn't based on anything. "Opinion is the absence of knowledge," (Socrates). You believe that good and evil are subjective. This is dubious, highly so. It doesn't matter what your "opinion" (cute) might be, some things are entirely evil, some things are entirely good. Good and evil are beyond human opinion and they exist as they are. Suppose 40 year old guy gets his kicks from raping kids between the ages of 5 and 10. Now, someone of your, understanding might say that the evilness in his actions are purely subjective. People who live in the real world however tend to operate under the factual understanding that some things are just plain evil. Someone like you might say that the bombs we dropped on Hiroshima or the 9/11 incident have their morality open to debate. Those of us who actually know that morality is black and white tend to know better.

If a person were to be born as either evil or good, these "hidden attributes" that define us as people, it would stand to reason that they would be asbolute and objective, not subjective.
Spectacular. You'll have to explain that to me.

Now we can say that murder, theft, lies, deciet, actions that awake intense negative feelings within us would be evil, and to us they are, but if their reactions and emotional responses to these actions aren't the same then how can they be evil? They aren't looking to cause negative feelings in themselves, they aren't attempting to be "evil". To them these actions aren't evil, they are simple actions.
Spoken like a man who never picked up anything written by Aristotle, Dostoevsky, John Stuart Mill, or Machiavelli. Simply stunning. All actions are either good or evil. Aristotle alleged that we can adjudge the rightness and wrongness of an action based on their inherent motivating factor and their results. I'll make this simple. Let's take 9/11 for example. Aristotle and any ethical person would look at the situation based on it's intent and it's results and then decide whether the action was good or evil. Must I explain the rest?

Although I do not believe in the absolute of good and evil, I do believe that some unfortuante people are born with neural defects that cause their understanding of the world and the logical implications of their actions to be twisted and flawed. Or as you say to be born with a lack of empathy. Their emotional response to certain actions and events differ greatly from that which we would consider the norm. Their understanding of murder can simply be "to end the trouble", they don't see the "human" or emotional side of it. They simply can't see the "ending a life", "causing pain", "emotional distress" part of the equation because they do not understand these emotions. As a result they would not understand our reactions. Some of these people can even feel a sense of enjoyment when they cause emotional distress, in part because they see their lack of emotions as a superior trait and find it laughable that someone is confined by it.
We call them psychopaths. We call them that because what people define as normal is not subjective. If you have a sect of individuals who are entirely different from what is normal, you can't say normality is in the eye of the beholder just to avoid stigmatizing a group that actually has something wrong with them. In the same manner, given that good and evil are black and white, you cannot with actual sense determine that they are subjective. There are things that are morally wrong and irredeemably evil because they are.

"Justice" is not there for the deceased or the "criminal". It is there for the family of the deceased and people close to them. Although I'm a firm believer of keeping society safe through justice and that actions should have consequences, the "justice" in a murder trial has no baring on the victim (deceased), nor the criminal if their mental defects prevent the "correct" emotional response.
Only issue with that is your argument is entirely wrong. :shrug: Maybe this will help you see reason.

Definition of JUSTICE
a : the maintenance or administration of what is just especially by the impartial adjustment of conflicting claims or the assignment of merited rewards or punishments b : judge c : the administration of law; especially : the establishment or determination of rights according to the rules of law or equity

a : the quality of being just, impartial, or fair b (1) : the principle or ideal of just dealing or right action (2) : conformity to this principle or ideal : righteousness c : the quality of conforming to law

: conformity to truth, fact, or reason : correctness

Tell me, where in the actual definition of the world justice is your opinion supported?

"Should we pardon people of blame simply because they do not understand the consequences of their actions, or the emotional side of it? In my opinion no. However putting them away in prisions won't "do" anything other than put the problem out of view for "normal" people. We are simply locking away people we do not understand. They still have to recieve "justice" because the people left behind would feel robbed, cheated and probably angered if they didn't, but in the great scheme of things it won't change who they are, how they think or what they believe. In fact putting people with a defect that causes a severe lack of empathy with other murderers and hardened criminals will probably only reaffirm their thought patterns.
Humanitarian. Good, but that has nothing to do with justice. You're clearly a person who doesn't read the other posts in these discussions. Justice is not merciful. Justice is not humanitarian. Justice is simply an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. It is unkind. Justice is not about bringing understanding, justice isn't about making people feel comfortable with themselves or each other. It is reparation for a crime. Your argument is humanitarian yes but ultimately dubious. We're not going to change our justice system just to suit people who can't get with the program. Suppose that a mentally ill person kills someone. They couldn't control their actions, they have multiple personalities and all that. Got it. So you don't want us to sentence them to death or lock them away. Well Canabary, what would you have us do with them?

They have to be accountable for their actions, certainly. Protecting society at large is vitally important to our survival as a species, but we need to find better ways than just locking them up in prisions and institutions. Not that we'll be making this a priority any time soon.
And so I reiterate thus, what would you have us do? Your opinions lead me to believe that you have such a great understanding as to how this works so please, enlighten us. How should we deal with mentally ill criminals who have no control over their actions?

If God does create every human, I would imagine the plans behind every single one of us would be far too complicated for me to wrap my head around.
And yet you're still trying? [See below.] Amazing.

However, if I were to attempt to speculate I would begin by trying to understand what they are first. They are people, like us, but with a different brain chemistry, a different approach to logic and thought. Let's assume for a minute that we (the norm) aren't the alpha omega of the human race, then we could in fact be created so that they can learn to adapt their thought patterns, our logical assumptions, our approach to empathy, so that they can adopt their thought patterns to work together. And we, quite possible, should be looking to understand their way of thinking. If there is a big plan, a big scheme, then I would assume the differences are there for a reason, and that we would need to learn from the differences. Maybe their way of thought isn't completely wrong, maybe if we did adopt their way of thinking to certain problems we would see more of the "puzzle". That is assuming there is a "puzzle" to be solved.
The mentally ill cannot be taught to think like us, they cannot adjust to our thought patterns, nor can we do the same by them on our end. When a person is mentally ill, or normal rules of logic do not apply. A person who is insane does not and cannot think the way we do. And we cannot understand what goes on in their heads either because our brains just aren't the same. A normal person typically operates on logic. If I do A, then B will happen and so forth. A mentally ill person, who knows? There might not even be an A nor B in that person's head when it comes to determining what action to take when faced with a certain situation.

We could also take the "challenge" approach, as religion so often does. If God created these people to "challenge" us, then maybe we're supposed to find ways to heal them, to have them become more like us, or maybe it's simply a matter of making us understand that there are ways of thinking out there that differ from our own, and that we will have to learn to accept and adopt to this in order to advance as a species.
You're good at speculating. That much you've made clear but again, what would you have us do?

In all honesty though I personally do not believe each and every one of us is created by an all mighty god. I believe that we are the product of an advanced chemical and biological process that has an astonishingly great potential for, for the lack of a better word "mishaps", and that these "mishaps" causes differences from the "norm". These differences can display themselves through genetic disease, pre-mature birth, mental defects or physical defects (based on our "norm"), and possibly through a number of ways we've yet to discover. In this case, assuming there is a god, "the stage has been set", "the premise is built", but the story and the characters are our own creation.
Bravo. Has nothing to do with the topic but I suppose even a mediocre show can end on a high note.

Canabary

Administrator
Of course the issue here is your opinion isn't based on anything. "Opinion is the absence of knowledge," (Socrates). You believe that good and evil are subjective. This is dubious, highly so. It doesn't matter what your "opinion" (cute) might be, some things are entirely evil, some things are entirely good. Good and evil are beyond human opinion and they exist as they are. Suppose 40 year old guy gets his kicks from raping kids between the ages of 5 and 10. Now, someone of your, understanding might say that the evilness in his actions are purely subjective. People who live in the real world however tend to operate under the factual understanding that some things are just plain evil. Someone like you might say that the bombs we dropped on Hiroshima or the 9/11 incident have their morality open to debate. Those of us who actually know that morality is black and white tend to know better.
I am not arguing that these actions are right. Nor am I arguing that there is no such thing as cruelty. I'm simply arguing that "good" and "evil" is in most cases entirely subjective. That you assume that because I doubt absolutes I must therefore regard child rape, mass murder and other tragedies as moraly ambigious. You will also notice that I question the use of the words, the semantics if you will, not the existence of cruelty or evil in the world.

As for Morality. I can not agree that it is always black and white. The understanding that it's either right or it's wrong is most often simplistic. Depending on the situation and the circumstances morality can differ. Now you don't need to jump to the extremes, I entirely agree that certain actions are inhuman, I ask you to look beyond the extremes. Taking of a human life for instance is considered morally acceptable, although unfortune, if it is done in self defense (by law, not saying this is my opinion).

Spectacular. You'll have to explain that to me.
It was badly worded. I appologize. What I mean is that someone who is born with a defect that causes them to be unable to distinguish between right and wrong, are not necessarily "evil" because of it.

Spoken like a man who never picked up anything written by Aristotle, Dostoevsky, John Stuart Mill, or Machiavelli. Simply stunning. All actions are either good or evil. Aristotle alleged that we can adjudge the rightness and wrongness of an action based on their inherent motivating factor and their results. I'll make this simple. Let's take 9/11 for example. Aristotle and any ethical person would look at the situation based on it's intent and it's results and then decide whether the action was good or evil. Must I explain the rest?
Considering all of the above are required to study in a university I assure you I've read them. I would also refer you to greek history and exactly how Aristotle treated underage boys hismelf. If motivation and result defines the morality then how can we argue that someone who's motivation is entirely flawed (they do not understand what they are doing basically) are inherently evil?

Again I'm not saying there is no such thing as evil, I'm saying the use of the word when it comes to being "born" with it may be subjective.

We call them psychopaths. We call them that because what people define as normal is not subjective. If you have a sect of individuals who are entirely different from what is normal, you can't say normality is in the eye of the beholder just to avoid stigmatizing a group that actually has something wrong with them. In the same manner, given that good and evil are black and white, you cannot with actual sense determine that they are subjective. There are things that are morally wrong and irredeemably evil because they are.
Not all psycopaths are evil. Unless you regard materialism and self preservation as evil. They act on the logical assumption that if I do this, then this will happen to me and this will be good for me. They act independent of emotions because they are emotionally crippled. A psycopath is like us, only with the lack of emotional understanding. Selfish, certainly, but who is to say we wouldn't be like this if we didn't have emotional bonds holding us back?

Are they evil simply because they are born incapeable of what we consider standard emotions? Simply because they are "defective"? We do ourselves no favours by inhumanizing these people by classifying them as "born evil".

Now good and evil is not always black and white. If we give money to charity, we do this (mostly) because we wish to help. We have the best of intentions in doing so, and therefore the action is good, no? However, by giving to this charity we are not only helping a small part of the population we are also inderictly giving money to poweful war lords who do unspeakable things to people. This is because in order to operate within these areas without being attacked, these charities are paying "taxes" to these war lords. Money they use in turn to pay for soliders, weapons and smuggling.

Only issue with that is your argument is entirely wrong. :shrug: Maybe this will help you see reason.

Definition of JUSTICE
a : the maintenance or administration of what is just especially by the impartial adjustment of conflicting claims or the assignment of merited rewards or punishments b : judge c : the administration of law; especially : the establishment or determination of rights according to the rules of law or equity

a : the quality of being just, impartial, or fair b (1) : the principle or ideal of just dealing or right action (2) : conformity to this principle or ideal : righteousness c : the quality of conforming to law

: conformity to truth, fact, or reason : correctness

Tell me, where in the actual definition of the world justice is your opinion supported?
Someone who does not understand what they did, that what they did was wrong, will never conform to an absolute truth that murder is wrong. We may all agree that it is, but they never will. I am not saying that people who kill and do not understand the emotional implications to others should be exhonorated. Not at all. I'm simply saying that they do not understand what they are doing.

Justice does not matter to the deceased, because they are dead, or have moved on. Justice does not matter for the criminal in this case because they simply doesn't understand what they have done, nor do they feel remorse, regret or even despair. They aren't affected by the sentence. They are emotionally hollow. It only matters for the families involved. Note I'm not saying that that means they are irrelevant, on the contrary, families do deserve justice just as much as anyone else.

The insanity plea, temporary insanity plea and the self defence plea are two ways people can "get away" with murder. The insanity and temporary insanity plea is designed to exhonorate those who do not understand the consequences of their actions.

Humanitarian. Good, but that has nothing to do with justice. You're clearly a person who doesn't read the other posts in these discussions. Justice is not merciful. Justice is not humanitarian. Justice is simply an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. It is unkind. Justice is not about bringing understanding, justice isn't about making people feel comfortable with themselves or each other. It is reparation for a crime. Your argument is humanitarian yes but ultimately dubious. We're not going to change our justice system just to suit people who can't get with the program. Suppose that a mentally ill person kills someone. They couldn't control their actions, they have multiple personalities and all that. Got it. So you don't want us to sentence them to death or lock them away. Well Canabary, what would you have us do with them?
I can not understand your anger with me. However, the justice system is clearly designed to be humane. Repeat offenders recieve harsher punishments than first time offenders for most crimes, and the penal system is in most cases designed to deter criminal behaviour. Once you've served your sentence you are released into the world again,you have "paid your debt to society". If you break the law you go to jail, a place no one (except some criminals) wants to be. If it was as harsh and unkind as you describe then why are people released at all? Why not lock up people until the end of their days?

Society at large generally do not believe that once you've made a mistake you are lost forever, justice does not believe that. There are so many exceptions, amendments and changes to laws that are specifically designed so that the law becomes more humane. We do not kill a man and all his familiy because this one man killed a familiy, we kill the one man.

I have never pretended to have all the solutions, in fact I haven't pretended to have any solutions at all. If someone mentally ill like this breaks the law something must be done to protect the public certainly. You do not let dangerous people walk the street. But you must certainly do not place them in a confined space with people who reaffirm their world understanidng. The insanity plea is a way to find these people and put them in institutions where they are kept safe from themselves and others.

And so I reiterate thus, what would you have us do? Your opinions lead me to believe that you have such a great understanding as to how this works so please, enlighten us. How should we deal with mentally ill criminals who have no control over their actions?
If I knew the answers I would certainly share them, but I don't. I've never pretended that I do either. As of right now our practice of sending them to institutions seems to be the most effective and safe.

And yet you're still trying? [See below.] Amazing.
The question was why would god create them. I don't pretend to know why, nor do I pretend to be capeable of understanding it. But as anyone else I would certainly attempt to ponder the question, having made it clear that I have no idea.

The mentally ill cannot be taught to think like us, they cannot adjust to our thought patterns, nor can we do the same by them on our end. When a person is mentally ill, or normal rules of logic do not apply. A person who is insane does not and cannot think the way we do. And we cannot understand what goes on in their heads either because our brains just aren't the same. A normal person typically operates on logic. If I do A, then B will happen and so forth. A mentally ill person, who knows? There might not even be an A nor B in that person's head when it comes to determining what action to take when faced with a certain situation.
If we look at the general operandi of the mentally ill they act on logic as well. However their understanding of logic is flawed. I once met a man who thought that unless he walked around like a soldier and his hat wasn't exactly on the middle of his head his family would die. The man was clearly ill and unable to understand real cause and effect, but his actions was entirely logical based on what he believed would happen. If you told him this was nonsense and told him to stop he'd become violent, in his mind he was being asked to sacrifice his family. Certainly a seriously flawed logic, but based on his "understanding" it is entirely logical.

When it comes to psycopaths they operate on pure logic. If I ruin her career, my career will be better. If I tell my wife she's fat, and then sleep with other women I will be able to control her and keep her with me. Psycopaths are logical, but they operate with no emotion, empathy and always look to put themselves first.

You're good at speculating. That much you've made clear but again, what would you have us do?
Speculation is all I can do when I do not understand god's plans. That much must be obvious to you? Based on how god is presented in christianity it is unlikely that he has created a "type" of people that is designed to simply ruin our lives. That's the operandi of the devil, and not god.

Bravo. Has nothing to do with the topic but I suppose even a mediocre show can end on a high note.
Q: Why does god put these people on earth?
A: Dunno, if I would be speculating. My belief is.

Answer, speculation, conclusion.

Kaze Araki

Libertarian Communist
Actually, I specifically define evil as a lack of empathy to avoid various interpretations. Basically, all three questions are more directed towards religious people. I do however, take issue in how you define justice. You can't apply justice to a mountain lion that mauled a woman to death in the same way that you can't apply justice to people that can't distinguish right and wrong due to their mental handicap.

Canabary

Administrator
Actually, I specifically define evil as a lack of empathy to avoid various interpretations. Basically, all three questions are more directed towards religious people. I do however, take issue in how you define justice. You can't apply justice to a mountain lion that mauled a woman to death in the same way that you can't apply justice to people that can't distinguish right and wrong due to their mental handicap.
I'm not even sure where you got that from. Not even sure exactly what you mean. A mountain lion isn't subject to our laws, although one that mauls a woman is in all likelyhood going to be put down. A man is subject to our laws, exists in our society and must therefore be kept away if he is a risk to society at large.

To someone who does not understand right and wrong, to someone who does not feel (we are talking about emotionally crippled people here), spending time in a prision is not a punishment and therefore can't be considered justice. They did something wrong and should be punished, but where is the justice when the punishment doesn't feel like a punishment? The victim is dead, and by christian, islamic, hindu and many other religious texts is no longer of this world. Either free of all wordly restrictions or lives again in another form.

Would you disagree with that?

I just don't see how a punishment that is in fact not recieved as a punishment, maybe a slight inconvenience could be considered "justice".

Kaze Araki

Libertarian Communist
I was referring to the English common law where a legally insane person is analogous to wild beast.

And of course I disagree, as is most legal expert would be.
Justice (as social contract) cannot be applied to someone who has no control over themselves (as Ressler argue for Dahmer), thus why the insanity defense is valid.

Canabary

Administrator
I was referring to the English common law where a legally insane person is analogous to wild beast.

And of course I disagree, as is most legal expert would be.
Justice (as social contract) cannot be applied to someone who has no control over themselves (as Ressler argue for Dahmer), thus why the insanity defense is valid.
Oh.

Then what exactly about my definition of justice do you disagree with? ;?;

Canabary

Administrator
This part:

They still have to recieve "justice"
As noted, in these cases "justice", let's call it "percieved justice", is only important to the family and friends of the victim. I'm sure you would not argue that if an insane man kills another he is to be released into the public (mostly because he'd be a danger to others). He would be put into an instituation and given help. "Justice" in this context does not pertain to the legal implications, but rather perception. It's not prision but will still be understood as some sort of punishment by the victim's closest. Not legal justice, but "percieved justice". Which is also why I noted that in this case the only ones "justice" matter to is the victim's family and friends, not the criminal.

Justice by legal definition argues that insanity does not void the social contract of justice. If they at the moment of the deed is unable to tell right from wrong and the consequences of their actions, and this can be proven, the defendant is institutionalized until he is no longer a threat to himself or society. If their insanity does not cause this, or can't be proven to be severe enough, they can still be found guilty.

Arachna

Spider
Staff member
Some states also allow defendants to argue that that they understood their behavior was criminal but were unable to control it. This is sometimes called the "irresistible impulse" defense.
However,
One eight-state study of criminal cases in the early 1990s concluded that less than one percent of defendants pleaded insanity and, of them, only a quarter won aquittals.
Studies by the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law have concluded that "the overwhelming majority" of defendants acquitted by reason of insanity suffer from schizophrenia or some other mental illness.

Question : How does someone pleading "not guilty by reason of insanity" differ from someone deemed "incompetent to stand trial?"

-lexus-

Visions of Hell
Cut out the right part of the brain and you can destroy someones ability to predict what kind of behavior is socially acceptably, his ability to feel empathy, etc. So, its linked to your brain, and a brain is just a mechanical component. One that can break or malfunction without someone actually breaking it first. So yes, you can be born that way. Although even then, not all of these people will grow up to become serial killers.

Perfection. A rather pointless question, of the level as asking why there are earthquakes, wars, diseases, etc.

Anyways, its perfection.

Zero Phoenix

Question : How does someone pleading "not guilty by reason of insanity" differ from someone deemed "incompetent to stand trial?"

Simple. Insanity cannot be fixed. Incompetency can be. An insane person cannot go to trial because in many cases they won't understand why it is they're going to trial in the first place. If you tell them they killed a person and it was wrong they might not understand why it was wrong or why they need to be punished for it. Someone deemed incompetent to stand trial is literal bullshit. Tell the person what crime they did, tell them why they're being punished for it. They're not incapable of learning and all it takes is twenty minutes to explain to someone the legal proceedings (trial, punishments, bargains, etc.) involved in the process. They're brains are wired too differently. An incompetent person can be educated and any reason they have for not going to trial can be removed. Even though you can educate an insane person, they are typically not in a state of mind where they can frame their actions around moral/immoral poles thus making them unable to acclimate to their situation.

Canabary

Administrator
Simple. Insanity cannot be fixed. Incompetency can be. An insane person cannot go to trial because in many cases they won't understand why it is they're going to trial in the first place. If you tell them they killed a person and it was wrong they might not understand why it was wrong or why they need to be punished for it. Someone deemed incompetent to stand trial is literal bullshit. Tell the person what crime they did, tell them why they're being punished for it. They're not incapable of learning and all it takes is twenty minutes to explain to someone the legal proceedings (trial, punishments, bargains, etc.) involved in the process. They're brains are wired too differently. An incompetent person can be educated and any reason they have for not going to trial can be removed. Even though you can educate an insane person, they are typically not in a state of mind where they can frame their actions around moral/immoral poles thus making them unable to acclimate to their situation.
Only "incompetent to stand trial" is often used refering to the mentally retarded, and those with an extraordinary low IQ. People who are mentally retarded to that extent and lack the IQ to be able to understand the proceedings of court, can not be taught how to be competent. One of my older sisters suffer from a mental retardedness and is entirely unable to do anyhting on her own. She can feel happiness and sorrow, but she doesn't understand the concept of a spoon, let alone how to read a book. The concept of language is completely out of her reach, I doubt she even understands what I'm saying only that it seems to be a nice "tone".

At any rate, teaching someone like that how to stand trial would be impossible. She falls under "incompetent to stand trial", not "insanity", as she isn't insane, just unable to understand anything.

Zero Phoenix

At any rate, teaching someone like that how to stand trial would be impossible. She falls under "incompetent to stand trial", not "insanity", as she isn't insane, just unable to understand anything.
Should we not advocate the use of another term them, for legal speak? It seems morally wrong to me for "incompetent" to be used as the legal label for someone who is differently advantaged.

Canabary

Administrator
Should we not advocate the use of another term them, for legal speak? It seems morally wrong to me for "incompetent" to be used as the legal label for someone who is differently advantaged.
That may be so, but the sad fact is that they do not have the competence to stand trial. The word "incompetent" doesn't necessarily have a negative undertone to it, at least not in legal terms (although I suppose that's argueable), but it's rather a description of the factual situation. These people do not have the necesary, for the lack of a better word, "skills" to stand trial and are therefore not competent to stand trial. I'm not sure what other word we should be using.