Superstitions

~If you see a person without his/her head for a brief moment, he/she will die unless you slap the person.

~If you feel that you are lost, wear your clothes inside out.

-----

~Don't sweep/clean at night, other wise you'll lose wealth. [can be explained.]

Biomega

Net Ronin Of All Trades
[quote name='Retia Adolf' timestamp='1307299029' post='147324']~Don't sweep/clean at night, other wise you'll lose wealth. [can be explained.]

[/quote]Sweeping coins out. Now, we use strong vacuums - sucks in your money alright.

Sanae

Staff member
I've heard that cleaning one before ^__^ My dad is always telling my mom not to do the dishes and sweep the floor once night falls xD She always retorts with,"I don't care, it's messy and we're not in Laos anymore." XDDD Although, if it's too late, she won't

For those who eat rice: If your rice turns red (mostly at the bottom), bad luck is to come.

The above has actually happened.. It was quite a coincidence >_<

Why do I feel most superstitions posted here are from my country.

Here's another one...

Don't point your finger in an anthill. (That's where the dwarfs live)

Biomega

Net Ronin Of All Trades
[quote name='Sanae' timestamp='1307327558' post='147587']For those who eat rice: If your rice turns red (mostly at the bottom), bad luck is to come. [/quote]

Damn! I always eat the baked part of the rice(the very dry one).

[quote name='Biomega' timestamp='1307357387' post='147853']

Damn! I always eat the baked part of the rice(the very dry one).

[/quote]

lol,

from my province, eating the baked parts accelerates your growth (in height).

and then again, there is another reason for that...

old people want to eat the soft & well cooked rice, that they made up this belief....

another one

~sleeping with wet hair will cause blindness.

==============

real reason for it:

wet hair + pillow = moist/wet pillow

moist/wet pillow = accelerates bacterial growth

bacterial growth = more bacteria

bacteria + eye = infection

infection = a chance of getting blind if not cured.

----------------------------------

well most superstitions can be explained....

such as trimming/cutting your nails at night...

well duh,

night + no electricity = dark

dark + something sharp = injury is certain.

Well, here's another one...

When it's raining and it's still sunny. A couple of Tikbalang (Human-horse hybrid) in our folklore are getting married...

Seriously, who thinks of such stuff back in the days.

Hmm...something from my place that I can never found the logic explanation.

"When you dream of a corpse lying on your lap means you'll get a good luck (money)."

"When you found a Kamboja flower with even petals, good luck will come at you."

(Kamboja is the kind of flower that usually has odd petals and planted on cemetery in my country, I don't know the latin names for it)

From those two, why does anything related to death were to be believed will give you goodness in real life?

Sanae

Staff member
Hmm, I have no clue.. Perhaps, the ownder of the corps is putting their trust in you to take care of them? Your good deed of taking care of them would be rewarded.. That sounds weird xD;

I remember something about if you have a dream about a black dog biting you, you have to spit into the toilet three times.. Or, you'll have bad luck for that day o_O? I forgot ^__^;;

[quote name='Sanae' timestamp='1307528739' post='149063']

Hmm, I have no clue.. Perhaps, the ownder of the corps is putting their trust in you to take care of them? Your good deed of taking care of them would be rewarded.. That sounds weird xD;

I remember something about if you have a dream about a black dog biting you, you have to spit into the toilet three times.. Or, you'll have bad luck for that day o_O? I forgot ^__^;;

[/quote]

Taking care as in...?

I don't know who it was when alive also if you wanna know what kind of corpse I had in my dream, try google 'pocong', I don't think I want to see it for real >.<

Anyways, I did get money after I had that dream, but it was because that day was my payment day, lol.

I never heard about black dog, but in here we have superstitious if you dream pf getting bitten by snake, means you'll meet your soulmate very soon XD

Sanae

Staff member
Hahaha, that's quite the coincidence lol

Hmm, perhaps, you're taking care of the corps (protecting it.. keeping it company) until the soul of the deceased can cross over to the next world? I dunno, but if good money is a result of having it around, the deceased may be repaying your kindness of guarding its body ^^?

EDIT: Just image searched it, because I was super curious xD Freaky looking

~mimesis

Auribus tenere lupum
Oh here we have lots of superstitions, and i think some of them are common around the world, just known under different names...
...what i tend to believe in though, is the evil eye thing. because it has happened to me more than once, to be looked at in a certain way and then feel my head explode from a pain one couldn't explain, and after saying a quick pray or chant for it to disappear...so yeah...
but otherwise most of the superstitions i tend to see as ridiculous, though for example mom doesn't take out the trash once it's dark outside, and doesn't even throw the bread crumbs from the table cloth...
oh yeah, mom also wants to make me wear that stone for the evil eye thinggie...mom is more superstitious than me, as are alot of people here, though to Christians too it's a contradiction with your religion to be superstitious

Biomega

Net Ronin Of All Trades
...what i tend to believe in though, is the evil eye thing. because it has happened to me more than once, to be looked at in a certain way and then feel my head explode from a pain one couldn't explain, and after saying a quick pray or chant for it to disappear...so yeah...
The head pain can come from different, different reasons.

And head healing from prayer? That's called Placebo Effect.

And Asians Nightmare:

Lily

Dead is the new alive.
I was talking with my dad about superstition and apparently when he was a kid the old men and women would say not to pee outside when dark well not just pee but any kind of watering I guess. And if they did, they had to say this chant to keep the devil away xD It was hilarious to be honest but mostly ridiculous.. that people actually believed that D: