Superstitions

Sanae

Staff member
This thread can be dedicated to anything pertaining to superstitions ^^

Do you believe in superstitions? Which have you heard of (doesn't mean you have to believe in them)?

Asian people are very superstitious, so the tales are pretty endless here xD

One would be about owls. They say owls are a sign of bad luck :-? Kinda like the whole crow thing. Whenever an owl would come out at night, that would get my parents, aunts, uncles, and others creeped out lol Although, owls are night creatures, so yeah.. Kinda silly xD

Bố

I just broke a pair of scissor today, it's a sign that a calamity is to be feared.

I don't believe in superstitions very much though, I'm just curious what's the story behind it.

Canabary

Administrator
Don't cross a black cat's path.

Breaking a mirror equals 7 years of bad luck.

If you want to avoid jinxes knock on wood or throw salt over your shoulders.

Paradoxally if you're using a salter it is bad luck if you spill the salt. So, salt is good and bad!

Bố

Oh yeah.......collect the money people give to the dead on New Year is bad luck too. I got sick really badly for 3 months after I did that.

Sanae

Staff member
Oh wow, I never heard about the scissor one O_O What's the whole story behind that one ^^?

Funny story about the black cat... I was going somewhere with my mom,neice and nephew in our van. We were around uptown and a black cat crossed our path xD It was crossing the street to its home xD Here's the coincidence.. It was Friday The 13th xD;;;

I didn't know about that one either, Stranger O_O

Although, there is a thing about offering food to the dead once and a while :-? They say if weird things happen during the night, it may be a dead relative who's hungry. Whoever experienced this would always prepare some food an lay it out somewhere outside somewhere. The food would be gone by the next day, but that could be to night creatures eating it xD;;;

Ooh, that reminds me of another story that kinda relate to that xD Last hunting season, my dad had a dream with a dead uncle in it. They actually used to go hunting together.. My dad said to him,"If catch a deer today, I'll make a dish for you." The next day, he got a deer xD IT may have all been a coincidence, but who knows lol

i believe in that opening an umbrella indoors gives you bad luck (though thats kidna silly). and that picking up a penny heads up is good luck, tails up is bad luck hahaha

Biomega

Net Ronin Of All Trades
I am a skeptic(I don't believe or doubt superstitions). But Middle-Easterners and South Asians are very Superstitious people.

They believe in Evil eye, Djinns, spirits, shamanistic and spiritual practices and etc. Many things.

[quote name='Stranger in a Strange Land' timestamp='1306987061' post='143660']Eating food of the dead will make ghosts mad at you and curse you for the rest of the year.

[/quote]There is a Papua New Guinea tribe that are cannabis. They eat the flesh of their dead ones(after drying them), thinking that this might get their skills and that their soul will protect them.

Sanae

Staff member
What are "Djinns" ^__^?

That kinda reminds me.. The eye thing xD There's this thing that my parents say (aunts and uncles as well) say all the time. If your left eye tiwtches, that's a sign of good luck. When your right eye twitches, it's a sign of bad luck.

Biomega

Net Ronin Of All Trades
[quote name='Sanae' timestamp='1307007682' post='143750']

What are "Djinns" ^__^?[/quote]Djinns are mischievous spirit made from smokeless fire(like we are made from Mud)) in the Arabian mythology. They resemble humans, mostly, but with different skin hues, and different eye colours. There is the male and female of them.

There are also types and classes of Djinns: There are the Ifrit, the strongest form of Djinn, they are desert dwellers and have to power to control fire -- and they are horrendous to look at; there is the Marid, it's a water sprite, usually found in the Oceans and Seas; Ghoul is more or less a Goblin, lowest of the Djinns. It loves to resides necropolises, and sometimes even consume the flesh of the undead, and sometime become Cannibalistic.

Some of the Djinns can shape-shift, not all. Some can even cast magic and grant wishes. Some of them have legs like a Faun, and some of them float from smoke. Female djinns are similar to succubus in function, seducing mortal men.

In the Quran, Iblis, like Lucifer, he was the leader of the Djinns. When Adam was created, he boasted(that he is made from Fire, and Adam from Mud) and disobeyed God, and was cast out from Heaven along with his people, and resided in Earth. He is considered the grand Shaitan(an Evil spirit(Devil), more or less like a Demon).

Lily

Dead is the new alive.
[quote name='Biomega' timestamp='1307004905' post='143725']

I am a skeptic(I don't believe or doubt superstitions). But Middle-Easterners and South Asians are very Superstitious people.

They believe in Evil eye, Djinns, spirits, shamanistic and spiritual practices and etc. Many things.

[/quote]

^ This~ Basically whenever something bad happened to anyone of us my parents say it was "The evil eye" and Im just lol'ing.. It sometimes goes worse.. that Im not allowed outside without wearing a an evil eye stone. OTL

Also, my grampa told me this weird story... When he was a young lad, so he was walking in broaddaylight somewhere in the middle of nowhere with fields and there he sees a fox. The fox approaches him and sits in front if him, cocks his head. Gramps said that the mannerisms of this fox was very...humanlike. In the end my grandpa just walked away and the fox followed him for a while but dissappeared when he entered the village.

My gramps concluded this was a Djinn 'shapeshifting'. xD So whenever my grandpa sees a fox he goes all
lololol

Biomega

Net Ronin Of All Trades
[quote name='Lily' timestamp='1307018115' post='143923']

^ This~ Basically whenever something bad happened to anyone of us my parents say it was "The evil eye" and Im just lol'ing.. It sometimes goes worse.. that Im not allowed outside without wearing a an evil eye stone. OTL [/quote]

You must be Turkish. You know, coffee reading, palm reading, and evil stuff are still in Turkey, for whatever the reason.

And by stone, they mean this, right?

I told my parents that I don't believe in those nonsense, but they insist.

And if they are Muslims, tell them that it's Haram to use those charms. Tell them Islam tells people to use Du'a(supplication), and the last three Chapters of the Quran. This should halt the evil stuff(from them) for a bit.

Lily

Dead is the new alive.
[quote name='Biomega' timestamp='1307020067' post='143944']

You must be Turkish. You know, coffee reading, palm reading, and evil stuff are still in Turkey, for whatever the reason.

And by stone, they mean this, right?

I told my parents that I don't believe in those nonsense, but they insist.

And if they are Muslims, tell them that it's Haram to use those charms. Tell them Islam tells people to use Du'a(supplication), and the last three Chapters of the Quran. This should halt the evil stuff(from them) for a bit.

[/quote]

Yeah I am~ Evil stuff? lolz but yes coffee reading&palm reading is very popular. Specifically the former....It's a tradition that whenever you have coffee (turkish coffee preferable) you ask someone to read your fortune.

*nods* Yupp, my dad even bought me this very expensive (bur very pretty) necklace with the evil eye bead. It's really ridiculous how far it goes sometimes.

Oh they know it's Haram to use the charms, not going to stop them from using it though. Then again...there are so many things that are haram *shrugs*.

Also, my mom keeps forcing me to learn this du'a by heart and to say it everytime I leave the house.. I forgot what it was called again .__. It was very very long OTL

Swat

Yuuki Sama's Pet
dont cut nails at night or u be unlucky (it came out cuz in the past theres only a candle for a light source so its hard to cut currently we have light bulbs so it doesnt matter yet people still believe in it...(not to sure about the reason how it came out))

Biomega

Net Ronin Of All Trades
[quote name='Lily' timestamp='1307020666' post='143950']Also, my mom keeps forcing me to learn this du'a by heart and to say it everytime I leave the house.. I forgot what it was called again .__. It was very very long OTL

[/quote]Bismillah Ma'a Ismahu la yadur shai fil ard wala fisama, wa hua sameeun aleem - it's a morning supplication before you go out. That's the one, I used to use it everyday. It didn't help at all, in fact, they day I use it becomes one of those unfortunate days in my life.

Lily

Dead is the new alive.
No no~ It was the Ayat Al Kursi... I think:

Allahu la ilaha illa Huwa, Al-Haiyul-Qaiyum

La ta'khudhuhu sinatun wa la nawm,

lahu ma fis-samawati wa ma fil-'ard

Man dhal-ladhi yashfa'u 'indahu illa bi-idhnihi

Ya'lamu ma baina aidihim wa ma khalfahum,

wa la yuhituna bi shai'im-min 'ilmihi illa bima sha'a

Wasi'a kursiyuhus-samawati wal ard,

wa la ya'uduhu hifdhuhuma Wa Huwal 'Aliyul-Adheem

Yup it was this one.

I don't really know many, parents arent all that religious.

Biomega

Net Ronin Of All Trades
[quote name='Lily' timestamp='1307022253' post='143966']

No no~ It was the Ayat Al Kursi... I think:

[spoilera]Allahu la ilaha illa Huwa, Al-Haiyul-Qaiyum

La ta'khudhuhu sinatun wa la nawm,

lahu ma fis-samawati wa ma fil-'ard

Man dhal-ladhi yashfa'u 'indahu illa bi-idhnihi

Ya'lamu ma baina aidihim wa ma khalfahum,

wa la yuhituna bi shai'im-min 'ilmihi illa bima sha'a

Wasi'a kursiyuhus-samawati wal ard,

wa la ya'uduhu hifdhuhuma Wa Huwal 'Aliyul-Adheem[/spoilera]

Yup it was this one.

I don't really know many, parents arent all that religious.

[/quote]Yeah, Ayat AL-Kursi have to be said before going out and before going to sleep. Reading this Aya, with all honesty, brought me nightmares instead.[quote name='Swat' timestamp='1307021739' post='143961']

dont cut nails at night or u be unlucky (it came out cuz in the past theres only a candle for a light source so its hard to cut currently we have light bulbs so it doesnt matter yet people still believe in it...(not to sure about the reason how it came out))[/quote]Some call it a tradition, even if they don't believe in it. Unfortunately, some people do.

Sanae

Staff member
[quote name='Swat' timestamp='1307021739' post='143961']

dont cut nails at night or u be unlucky (it came out cuz in the past theres only a candle for a light source so its hard to cut currently we have light bulbs so it doesnt matter yet people still believe in it...(not to sure about the reason how it came out))

[/quote]

Ooh, I've heard this one too
Don't cut your nails at luck because an evil owl will collect your clippings to forum long killer nails and kill you with them.. Or, something like that xD

There are so many superstitions in our country. But I don't believe them.

People need to make me do it so I would do it.

Here's one I've heard,

If someone dropped a fork, a male visitor would arrive.

Spoon for the female.