SlutWalk

Kaze Araki

Libertarian Communist
SlutWalk is a feminist protest march held in Toronto (April 3, 2011) and subsequently in several other countries around the world - initially, as a response towards the statement made by Toronto Police Constable Michael Sanguinetti in January, where he told a personal security class at York University that "women should avoid dressing like sluts in order not to be victimized."
Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2011/04/03/slut-walk-toronto.html

Is this a classic case of blaming the [rape] victims for their appearances or is there some truth in Sanguinetti's advice?

In the initial analysis, this scenario is highly reminiscent of one I have been pondering about lately:
You have a bank, and a guard is hired to keep watch over it. If the bank is robbed, is it the robber's fault for robbing the bank, or is it the guard's fault for not doing his job properly?

My thesis is this: Both parties have a mutual responsibility to prevent the crime of rape from occuring. The would-be rapist is responsible for keeping his desires under control, and the victim is responsible for behaving in a manner that does not instigate crime. Sanguinetti's advice is true, but it is only a one-sided approach. Apart from women being responsible for dressing appropriately so as not to attract potential rapists, the men are responsible for keeping their urges to rape in check as well.

However, the blame each party gets in the case of a real rape should not be equal. The woman should not be blamed as much, or even at all, because, although what Sanguinetti says is partially true, not all men will rape once they see a woman dressing like a slut, so his point is invalidated.

So yep, the most nuanced answer would be that both parties have a mutual responsibility to prevent crime from occuring.

Arachna

Spider
Staff member
Michael Sanguinetti is claiming women are to blame for the raping cos they dress sluty?
I see.So...interesting.

Lets try to reverse the situation. Cos it makes me curious.

Here is a question :
Let's say a guy is walking around without a shirt.And only in short pants.He is actually asking to be raped cos he is not dressed properly?
And if women had such strong desires to rape guys- He is actually in fault and making a mistake?

Cos he should actually know that it is provocative and that women will respond to it with violent behavior?
In other words. Even if he is raped,he is half guilty,cos he "should" have known there is a possibility it can happen to him?

this case is true..men are easily to react with such-a-slut cloth women wear, so stop being 'i'm sexy with this kind of cloth' attitude
if he can't rape that woman others will be his victim, even children as he can't control himself anymore with a lot of "eye sex" in front of him

Arachna

Spider
Staff member
I am sorry,but are you saying women are at fault here? Or men? Or children?

Maybe females should just wear khimar ,niqab or abaya. or maybe that is sluty also?

everyone is wrong for the mistake that link each other..no offence k..:grin:

i don't want to touch sensitive things here,so please be open-minded and try not to be an always-right person,try to think rationally
with any issue and you will find it offenceless..peace~

Chimer

★('°Ch†mR°') ★
Well, I know Kaze gonna kill me for that but i can't stand this anymore...

so i'l try to be as clear as possible :

Ok For me this question is only a man problem, cause even if a girl lis wearing some "sluty" dress or even if she's acting a bit sluty with you, that doesn't means "I want to be raped please".

The fact is The rape action is a man action, so if you can't control yourself, it's only Your Fault ( except for pathologies ).

So i'll gonna take an example i gave to a great friend of mine ( she 's a girl ) :

We were talking about this topic and this was my conclusion :

My words : Let's say you are playing with me and cross the limit ... , so what will happen next ??
I mean if i think you really want to play harder...
I can always try and see if you are really serious..
Then you'll put a stop..
And then,( and that's where it's all the man fault), the choice is only mine :
I can stop or i can step forward again harder than the first time...
And if you are not okay, i can always say that you wanted it cause you played a bit too hard..

So i think it's really a man problem

Plus, Even if you are Drunk, Drugged, or if she's doing all she can to put you "on fire" or anything else, a man don't have to do such a thing...

Arachna

Spider
Staff member
everyone is wrong for the mistake that link each other..no offence k..:grin:
Oh yes...:shrug:
Sharing the blame is such a good and decent action. Hey..tell that to the girls that got raped also. ;) They ll love you for it. <3

I asked you a question. I didn't do a statment. It is your fault for not paying attention.

i don't want to touch sensitive things here,so you are open-minded and you try to be an always-right person,you think rationally
with any issue, and you will find it offenceless..peace~
Lol,oh my.What to say to this.
I fixed it for you.

Now we can continue with the topic. =)

I agree that only the man should take the blame in the case of a real rape. However, before the incident actually takes place, the onus is on both the man and woman to act in a way that does not cause the crime. For the men, this means keeping their sexual desires under control. For the women, this means not acting in a way that could instigate a man to rape her.

Arachna

Spider
Staff member
Hmz..i do agree with you on the "action" will lead to reactions, But where do you put limits on that action?
Or to say. What kind of behavior is a big no no for a women? And if the man is under the influance of alch. and drugs.
Then any action could provoke him to do this kind of a crime.Even a normal thing like dancing.
And yes i feel the same way in the case a man does rape a women.

Lets put it like this :
If it is summer. Of course girls will wear less clothes. It is hot. And on the beach you have swimming suits and bikini's.
You can't say that it is sluty. Since it is a common clothes people wear. Right?

Hmz..i do agree with you on the "action" will lead to reactions, But where do you put limits on that action?
Or to say. What kind of behavior is a big no no for a women? And if the man is under the influance of alch. and drugs.
Then any action could provoke him to do this kind of a crime.Even a normal thing like dancing.
And yes i feel the same way in the case a man does rape a women.

Lets put it like this :
If it is summer. Of course girls will wear less clothes. It is hot. And on the beach you have swimming suits and bikini's.
You can't say that it is sluty. Since it is a common clothes people wear. Right?
Well, different social scenarios have different perceivedly appropriate dress codes. It has to do with the scenario, really. If you're at a beach, of course it's fine to wear a swimsuit and stuff, because everyone is doing the same. However, if you were to wear something unfitting of the social scenatio you are in (for example, wearing short pants and a singlet to an office), then you'd be crossing the limit.

As for the the influence of alcohol and drugs thing, it's the man's fault, because it's the man's responsibility not to get overly high/intoxicated by drugs/alcohol.

Biomega

Net Ronin Of All Trades
Is this a classic case of blaming the [rape] victims for their appearances or is there some truth in Sanguinetti's advice?
[/CENTER]
It's pretty much it is the case around here. If a women is wearing very seductive or revealing clothing and walking in an alley in the middle of the dead night, you are asking for it. If you don't get raped, you get molested -- oh, and there are those not-so-nice murder after rape cases. Yeah, so much for a conservative community.

Oh, and I forget to mention. Those rape attacks are usually done by drunks.

noex1337

Emmie was here
I'm a firm believer in the value of free speech. As such, I think women have a right to wear whatever they want. They can even be nudist if they want to and it still doesn't justify the man for raping her. That argument is as much BS as those celebrities claiming they have a "sex addiction".

That being said, depending on the nature of the community you live in, dressing provocatively may not be the wisest decision. Even so, it doesn't mean she was "asking for it".

Arachna

Spider
Staff member
It's pretty much it is the case around here. If a women is wearing very seductive or revealing clothing and walking in an alley in the middle of the dead night, you are asking for it. If you don't get raped, you get molested -- oh, and there are those not-so-nice murder after rape cases. Yeah, so much for a conservative community.

Oh, and I forget to mention. Those rape attacks are usually done by drunks.
I fully agree ..with your post. The end.

Kaze Araki

Libertarian Communist
Suppose I walked down a crime-ridden area with jeweleries all over my body, and it turns out that I get robbed. How does one asses the matter?

Suppose I walked down a crime-ridden area with jeweleries all over my body, and it turns out that I get robbed. How does one asses the matter?
It was the robber's fault, but it's your fault for wearing lots of jewellery in a crime-ridden area and thus increasing the chances of you getting robbed.

noex1337

Emmie was here
Well, it does mean that she was "dressing in a manner which would increase the chances of a man raping her".
But it does not mean she was asking to be raped.
Happens all the time when tourist visit New York. Either you're ignorant, or you're an idiot. But the blame would still go on the robber.

Biomega

Net Ronin Of All Trades
Even so, it doesn't mean she was "asking for it".
It's clear it is not what is being conveyed in wearing revealing clothes. I am, too, sure that it's not that they are asking for it. But, we are talking about guys who are sexually desperate and drunk.
If you have walked down a crime-ridden area, it's your fault, basically. Who told you to go that are in the first place? And the probability that you will get robbed is very high, and you know it, why risk it?
Well, it does mean that she was "dressing in a manner which would increase the chances of a man raping her".
This^