Religion

hmmmmm....... man you do pose some really good questions!! :laugh:

1) Ok, I'm not an expert in evolution, nor do I know that much about it, though it seems that our technology has only broken down the creation of the world to a certain extent, and we have to wait for technology to catch up so we can explore some more right??...... At the end of the day science still leaves us kinda hanging, though creation is explained in the bible, and it is soooo much more awesome to believe in a being who can single handedly create the universe as we know it!! :tongue:

2) Yes it is true that people want their existence here on earth to mean something.... is that a Bad thing?? Even if there are some things that can't yet be explained by science, it doesn't mean that science will ever be able to explain it..... like for instance people with aids being cured in african countries (I forgot which one again) or people being cured of cancer even after being diagnosed with an untreatable, incurable strain...... One of the most out there ones I've ever heard of was a minister who came to our church explaining how he had undergone an operation which removed part of his stomach and his intestines.... about three weeks later he went back for a check up only to find that everything that was removed was replaced!! Can science trully explain this?? So what is this mind over matter and the mind automatically regenerates organs?? lol...... I believe this is Gods hand..... It is unmistakeable!!

Krahe, are you trully an Atheist or are you an agnostic....... this was a question I wanted to ask a while ago (since I joined this debate)?? Because an atheist is opened to the whole God thing, though only if it can be proved to them (so they research until they can trully eliminate all possibility of God)....... agnostics on the other hand just don't give a damn either way.... having an "i'll only belive in God if he came down and kicked me" attitude?? This is just a question because If you are an atheist, i'd like to know your answer to this question...... "WHAT ARE YOU??"...... No i don't mean your job or your beliefs, I mean what are you as an entity?? (this question was posed by on of my budhist friends).... i'd just like to know if you could answer that. I already have the answer and so do all christian people (whether you know it or not).

3,4) well I really don't know what to say here??? :blink:

Krahe

Full of bees
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Maq_daddy @ July 19, 2007, 6:27 PM) [snapback]9015[/snapback]</div>
hmmmmm....... man you do pose some really good questions!! :laugh:[/b]
Hey, thanks. Seriously.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
1) Ok, I'm not an expert in evolution, nor do I know that much about it, though it seems that our technology has only broken down the creation of the world to a certain extent, and we have to wait for technology to catch up so we can explore some more right??...... At the end of the day science still leaves us kinda hanging, though creation is explained in the bible, and it is soooo much more awesome to believe in a being who can single handedly create the universe as we know it!! :tongue:[/b]
I'm not an expert on evolution, either (So if I get anything wrong, I hope someone can correct me), but by observing the fossilized remains of species, scientists can observe the gradual change of a species over time and can then determine where we, as a whole, came from. The process of evolution as also been observed on a microcosmic level by studying bacteria, I believe.

Anyway, science still can't explain with 100% accuracy how the universe formed, so a god-like being could have been involved. Personally, I just don't worry about that. We're here now; lets try to make the best of it.

2) Yes it is true that people want their existence here on earth to mean something.... is that a Bad thing??[/b]
No, of course not. I don't think I ever said that it was.

Krahe, are you trully an Atheist or are you an agnostic....... this was a question I wanted to ask a while ago (since I joined this debate)??[/b]
I'm Agnostic.

....... agnostics on the other hand just don't give a damn either way.... having an "i'll only belive in God if he came down and kicked me" attitude??[/b]
Ha ha ha ha ha! In a nut shell. I'll worry about the afterlife when I get there. Right now, I'm just enjoying the ride as best I can. :laugh: Really, life is scary enough as is without having to worry about what happens when you die.

And, honestly, it sometimes seems that people get so caught up in the afterlife that they can forget about the life they have now. They forget to live. They worry so much about how what they do affects where they go, and they forget to just enjoy life and the things around them. A life un-lived is the saddest thing in the world to me, and it's also what I fear the most.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Maq_daddy @ July 18, 2007, 5:25 AM) [snapback]8865[/snapback]</div>
Islam on the other hand, see jesus as a prophet as well, though they beleive that his writings were superceded by Mohammed (Geez I hope i'm gettin this right)...... so their beleifs conflict with ours, though they are also a branch of judaism. This kinda leaves me unsure of the islamic religion and how it ties in to their entrance into heaven??[/b]
Whoa...Islam is not a branch of Judaism. Muslims do accept Jesus as a prophet, but neither him or Mohammed ever had any 'writings' (especially seeing as Mohammed was illiterate). Mohammed was simply the last prophet. According to Islam, there were loads of prophets, but only a handful were mentioned in the Quran.

If Jesus was Jewish, why are Christians not Jewish?

Nori

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Doe @ July 23, 2007, 1:52 AM) [snapback]9210[/snapback]</div>
If Jesus was Jewish, why are Christians not Jewish?[/b]
Jesus made a new covenant. So we follow that covenant, not the ones of the old testament which the Jews follow. Thus making us followers of Christ a.k.a Christians.

So your a true atheist then Entombment?? have you researched all religions and found a specific flaw?? if so what is the real flaw of the bible?? is it just that you can't believe what it says because you can't or are there some major contradictions?? I like to know these things because it prompts me to find the answers!! :tongue:

BTW SSJhedge?? I sorta agree with you on your statement...... a lot of the bible will be boring to those that aren't christians!! Though if you get into it to truely learn about the faith, then it should be okay.... Had a friend who did that once.... It didn't turn out well though~!~!

Well, pretty much yeah. Though there's still a couple I haven't gotten too far into

But, the Bible has a lot of contradictions in it. At least 20

It's been recommended that I read the whole Quran first :p But I don't plan on reading any religious books anytime soon.

And it actually wasn't a rhetorical question :p I'd always wondered.

Nori

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Doe @ July 24, 2007, 12:22 PM) [snapback]9352[/snapback]</div>
And it actually wasn't a rhetorical question :p I'd always wondered.[/b]
So did I answer your question or is further explanation needed?

Entombment, could you please list these contradictions?? If you have the time that is. Its good for us christians to know what people see our faith as being, so that we can search for those answers ourselves. Probably some of the things on your list are things that I have found contradictory too, though I like the challenge of finding the answers to those questions. :tongue:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiss @ July 25, 2007, 2:01 AM) [snapback]9389[/snapback]</div>
well then your lost although religion is so confusing sometimes.[/b]

Meh, I guess. I just don't like to attach myself to something I don't fully believe in.

Also, People kill over beliefs, but rarely do people die over ideas.

lol....... I guess so...... unless your ideas offend someones beliefs, and they kill you anyways!! hahahah....... Yeah I know what you mean because ofcourse (most if not all) wars come about becuase of religion...... Though have you noticed that most of these religious wars are with arab nations?? (just an insight)....... Because as far as I know, most of the other religions can find it in themselves to get along, though there are always problems when it comes to the muslim religion (just an opinion). Budhists, Hindhus, Jews(don't really know many) and christians can all get along, because we can let each other live how we want to live, though some of these religions have fanatical followers who go around insulting everyone else (christians included)...... this isn't the way to do things, talk to people, find out how they think, don't force it down their throats.

BTW: if there are muslim people reading this, I mean no offence.. truelly, it is just an opinion so you can now begin to bash christianity!! :tongue:

Krahe

Full of bees
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Maq_daddy @ July 25, 2007, 9:51 PM) [snapback]9475[/snapback]</div>
Though have you noticed that most of these religious wars are with arab nations?? (just an insight)[/b]
And have you noticed that the most significant of those wars were started by Christian nations? The current war in Iraq and the Crusades spring instantly to mind (Especially the Crusades).

...though there are always problems when it comes to the muslim religion (just an opinion).[/b]
No, there are problems with the Muslim extremists, just as there are problems with Christian extremists (which you mentioned). Unfortunately, the extremists get the most attention in this day and age of fear mongering, and that paints an incorrect portrait of Islam as a whole.

Also, if I used the words "Muslim" or "Islam" incorrectly in any way, I apologize. Feel free to set me straight. :happy:

Hahaha too true...... Most of these wars are initiated by christian nations (and this is gonna prob get me kicked outta the forum) but I don't really consider america to b a christian nation...... The country seems to be run by corporations rather than a person of integrity (just like most countries btw)...... as for the crusades i'm not quite sure whether that was started by christians or catholics (there is a difference)...... not that christians are totally innocent as we do have a few nutters in the group. :laugh:

Though what I meant to say was that Muslim people are way more fanatical about their religion than anyone else is..... I mean u even mention mohhamed and they go off the rails!! whereas, you guys can say what you want to about my faith and at the end of the day that is just the way you feel!! I'll try to debate it with you (sensibly), though i aint exactly gonna try to kill you!!

Krahe

Full of bees
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Maq_daddy @ July 26, 2007, 4:54 PM) [snapback]9516[/snapback]</div>
...but I don't really consider america to b a christian nation...... The country seems to be run by corporations rather than a person of integrity (just like most countries btw)......[/b]
I don't consider America a Christian nation, either (So perhaps I should have put that in quotations...). Hell, I barely consider us a democratic-republic, what with the way the current administration has shredded the Constitution, but that's off topic (Eh heh heh...). The only reason I called us a "Christian nation" is because your Average Joe off the street would most likely consider us one. Still, probably a poor choice of words on my part.

as for the crusades i'm not quite sure whether that was started by christians or catholics (there is a difference)[/b]
There is? :huh: I've always considered Catholicism to be another branch of Christianity (More specifically, the general "starting point").