[READ] Impending Merge

Tempest

The Lotus Eater
Staff member
Hello everyone! I've got some very important news today. For the last 11 months we've worked hard and tried various things. Sometimes we were successful and sometimes we weren't. Recently we've hit a bit of a slump. It's not the site that just hit a bit of a slump, so has my wallet. AT is on a dedicated server and it's rather expensive. On average, the last 11 months I've spend over $1200 on AT, from server fees, design fees, software purchases, add-on purchases, etc. I can no longer support such a hefty sum. However it's not just monetary factors leading to my decision of a merge (more details on that in a bit) although it certainly plays a role. When Zero, Dark and I created AT we had a vision of building a strong community focused around mature debates and discussions. We achieved that in small portions but not quite the extent I want it. In essence, most of the anime community worldwide appreciate entertainment value more than speculation and debate and abstract thought. Zero and I are more of the classic type of the early 90s. Hard on anime, like complexity and intricacy, appreciate breathtaking art. That doesn't exist so much these days. Anime has evolved into entertainment than continue as food for thought. There isn't particularly anything wrong with that but it's not what I had in mind when I started AT. However, you can't change the industry if your site is simply based on the industry, especially when your wallet is as thin as mine. Perhaps an even bigger factor is that it's hard and a bit unreasonable to sustain such a big ship when you've got few passengers and crew members.In light of all this I've decided on a decision that benefits the AT community. Instead of simply shutting down the website we will add AT on to G2anime.net. Their community is diverse enough to fulfill the needs of our community and more. You should all feel right at home there yet have a need to explore since they offer some things we don't here. Wait, don't stop reading yet! It's not as simple as telling you all to go there and register and what not. No. We're merging on the database level. Your account, posts, threads, whatever will be carried over. This will require quite a bit of work but that's exactly what will be done. So don't stop posting and participating, everything you do now will transfer over.Lastly, thanks to all the members that stuck around for so long, we couldn't have made it 11 months without you. Also a special thanks to DarkSign, Asch, Synergiance and ZeroKnight who has helped me manage the forum and add all the fancy bells and whistles. I'll personally be back to torment you scallywags once we're under the flag of G2anime. Until then I'm going to do my part and make the transition as smooth as possible.

Tempest

The Lotus Eater
Staff member
I forgot to say. In preparation of this merge we'll be deleting quite a lot of threads so you'll notice the overall forum post count drop a bit. Don't worry though, we'll be doing away with old dead topics. Some of our threads already exist on G2, such as LPW. Our LPW would simply get added on to theirs.

How is this going to affect non-standard members? Are they just going to accept your mods as their mods or should I just kamikaze the next person who bitches about the length of my posts since I'm getting fired anyway? I still find it odd that you called me here to fill a position you were already planning to remove.

amandaluvsya

Kissing ZeroKnight's Neck
Staff member
Well I'm happy about the no shutting down
Was sad yesterday when you told me, but I think this is a better routeGlad to see you found an alternative ^^and same question that the other two asked

Tempest

The Lotus Eater
Staff member
[quote name='"Gadolf the Absolute' date=' post: 47972"']How is this going to affect non-standard members? Are they just going to accept your mods as their mods or should I just kamikaze the next person who bitches about the length of my posts since I'm getting fired anyway? I still find it odd that you called me here to fill a position you were already planning to remove.[/quote]I personally feel guilty about that. Things were going south when you came along but when I brought you over I had no plans to shut down or merge but things went down the drain faster than I thought. I actually thought it would be possible to clog the drain but it didn't work out like that.[quote name='"Franken Stein' date=' post: 47973"']phew, well certainly way better than shutting down. Its such a relief, well back to posting it is =]and yeah what will be of us AT Staff?[/quote]Depending on how the whole thing goes over they may be willing to take one or two super moderators from our existing staff. Moderators are up for debate at this point. I'll keep the staff informed about their positions.

Tempest

The Lotus Eater
Staff member
[quote name='"pangary' date=' post: 47979"']How long will it take for the whole merging to be completed?[/quote]AT server will shut down on the first of next month so we're going to have it done before then. Give it a week, add or take away a few days. It's a lengthy process because we're trying to combine users from different forum software so it'll take some time.

aand yet another forum closes, that's 2 for 2 eh Chris? xDwell i had fun the brief 4 months here @ AT, so thank you for that Tempy.As for the site we're merging into, may or may not bother to do anything there, who knows. Either way thanx for everything doods and hope you all take care. :wink:

Franken Stein

Spiral Power!!
Staff member
[quote name='"Arcsodeus' date=' post: 48001"']well.... how about our account and such? will we need to create a new account on g2anime?[/quote][quote name='"The Lotus Eater' date=' post: 47964"'] Wait, don't stop reading yet! It's not as simple as telling you all to go there and register and what not. No. We're merging on the database level. Your account, posts, threads, whatever will be carried over. This will require quite a bit of work but that's exactly what will be done. So don't stop posting and participating, everything you do now will transfer over.[/quote]There's you answer ^

Tempest

The Lotus Eater
Staff member
[quote name='"Shadow Blazer' date=' post: 48006"']? ?A quick query... if we go to AT on our browsers, does AT redirect us to g2anime?[/quote]It will once we merge the site.