Powerful Earthquakes Hit Japan

A series of massive earthquakes have struck north-east Japan unleashing a 10-metre tsunami that swept buildings, vehicles, crops and debris across swaths of farmland.The first 8.9 magnitude shock is said to be the biggest to have hit Japan in 140 years, rocking buildings 235 miles (380km) away in Tokyo and sparking fires.At least five people are known to have died, but amid widespread reports of landslides, floods, collapsed buildings and fires the death toll is expected to rise.The quake hit at 2.46pm (5.45am GMT), about 6 miles below sea level and 78 miles off the east coast. It was swiftly followed by five powerful aftershocks of up to 7.1 magnitude.In Tokyo people screamed and grabbed each other's hands as the quake struck. The shock was so powerful it was felt as far away as Beijing.Television footage showed a 4-metre tsunami sweeping over embankments in Sendai city, bearing cars and houses – some on fire – across farmland, before reversing course and carrying them out to sea. Public broadcaster NHK showed images of a large ship ramming into a breakwater in Kennuma city, Miyagi prefecture.The quake and tsunami crippled air and rail services across large parts of the country. Eight military planes were scrambled to survey the damage as areas along Japan's entire Pacific coast braced for aftershocks and the possibility of more tsunami.The Pacific tsunami warning centre in Hawaii said a warning was in effect for Japan, Russia, Marcus Island and the Northern Marianas. Tsunami watches have been issued for Guam, Taiwan, the Philippines, Indonesia, Hawaii and the entire western coast of the US and Canada, from the Mexican border to Chignik Bay in Alaska.The Japanese prime minister, Naoto Kan, promised a quick response as he called an emergency cabinet meeting."The earthquake has caused major damage in broad areas in northern Japan," Kan said during an emergency news conference. "Some of the nuclear power plant in the region have automatically shut down, but there is no leakage of radioactive materials to the environment."The shutdown left 4m homes in and around Tokyo without power.Kan said he had set up an emergency taskforce to co-ordinate the rescue effort."The government will make an all-out effort to ensure the safety of all the people and contain the damage to the minimum," he said.Junichi Sawada, an official with Japan's fire and disaster management agency, said: "This is a rare major quake, and damages could quickly rise by the minute."Fire department officials in Osaki, Miyagi prefecture, said at least 20 people had been injured by falling objects, with some reportedly trapped under debris. At least 10 people were injured when part of a hall roof collapsed in Tokyo, the metropolitan police department said.All flights were grounded immediately after the quake while officials checked for runway damage. Strong tremors were felt in Tokyo about 30 minutes after the quake. Newsreaders in the capital wore helmets as they gave updates, while office workers rushed out of buildings and on to the streets for safety.Osamu Akiya, 46, was working at his Tokyo office when the quake hit, sending bookshelves and other items flying and opening up cracks in the wall."I've been through many earthquakes, but I've never felt anything like this," he said. "I don't know if we'll be able to get home tonight."Television footage showed a building on fire in the Odaiba district of Tokyo, although it was not immediately clear if the blaze was connected to the earthquake. Another fire was seen burning out of control at the at Cosmo oil refinery in Ichihara, in Chiba prefecture near Tokyo.Water levels rose quickly in the coastal town of Miyako in Iwate prefecture, while vehicles, houses and buildings were swept away by the tsunami in Onahama city, Fukushima prefecture.TV news presenters repeatedly warned people along the Pacific coast to head for higher ground.The quake is one of several to have struck north-east Japan this week, including one of magnitude 7.3 on Wednesday.In 1933, a magnitude 8.1 quake in the area killed more than 3,000 people. Last year fishing facilities were damaged by a tsunami caused by a strong quake in Chile. Japan is one of the most seismically active countries in the world, accounting for about 20% of the world's earthquakes of magnitude 6 or greater.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VopzGcBkfnE[/media]I hope this won't affect the anime industry
Well, more seriously, this is a great disaster and the death toll will surely keep on increasing, I just hope that this will be over soon.Watch live coverage here.

<_< A true otaku till the end huh?Anyway, the death count is estimated at 32 (and might spike up when they clear the wreckage). Taiwan just got hit with the Tsunami, but it was shorter and less destructive than expected, The Philippines is next on that wave's hit list.Could this be the precursor to the 2012 prophecy?

I forgot to mention the Egypt revolt, Lybian Rebellion, Christchurch Quake and other disasters that happened before them since the beginning of 2011.THE WORLD IS GOING TO END!!!!On an unrelated note, a new MMO game could have predicted this...www.darkdaysarecoming.comApparently my psyche belongs to the Templars. But I want to be part of The Dragon.

Remember to stock up in Batteries and rations.And thank god the 1 meter tsunami that was predicted to hit us was reduced by 1/2. Barely scratched the coastline.

Tempest

The Lotus Eater
Staff member
[quote name='"ShadowBlazer' date=' post: 31670"']I forgot to mention the Egypt revolt, Lybian Rebellion, Christchurch Quake and other disasters that happened before them since the beginning of 2011.THE WORLD IS GOING TO END!!!!On an unrelated note, a new MMO game could have predicted this...www.darkdaysarecoming.comApparently my psyche belongs to the Templars. But I want to be part of The Dragon.[/quote]And the people uprising for democracy is a sign of the apocalypse right? When people actually fight for human rights it's a bad thing right? You're probably not being serious at all about the 2012 prophecy but I get irked when I see complete nonsense. I predict that a mountain with the faces of famous people that founded a country will be destroyed. Yeah, that WILL happen one time or another. Am I a damn psychic or clairvoyant? No! I just made a generalized prediction. Anyone can do that. Big fucking whoop.

Diablodoc

Dark Lord of Erotics
SON THY MUST ACKNOWLEDGE DOOM WHEN THOU SEES ITS..And we haven't seen Doom yet. We just see the results of global warming and accidental happenings. *shrugs*

Yeah, that Egyptian revolt was for the greater good. Though rumor has it that the rebels in Libya are backed by Osama. (The guy the US keeps trying to find since 9/11).And 2012 may just as well be the new y2k bug. You all know that one right? The computer glitch that's supposed to make all the computers crazy, makes all the nukes launch and force people back into the dark ages. Yeah we (not me and surely not you too) were all scared shitless back then.And if 2012 should really happen, you'd think John Cusack would drive by our house and tell us the only way to survive is to ride in his limo to the airport and fly to Washington so we can hitch a ride to the Himalayas only to get ditched by the rich guys but we somehow got to ride in the back of a truck that so happens to be driven by the brother of one of the construction workers of the boat that's supposed to save only a fraction of the entire planet's living beings?Face it, common folk like us will only be left in the dark and left to die...unless your John Cusack and family.

ZeroKnight

ǤξД§§ ʃᵯᵯӨƦŦДζ
It's terrible what happened to Japan D:Though perhaps it's some sort of retribution for the manga ban~? :whistling: Either way, I hope the death toll isn't too high (unless it's manga banning politicians) and there's no further damage, and that Japan can hopefully get outta this shit with some semblance of speed.I'm with Rave on that 2012 shit. The world isn't going to end, because I predict that I'll turn into a giant space lizard that shoots high-concentration plasma from my cock that will slay the space pope, thus saving the world from destruction. I'll then become president of the universe. I'm serious guys, it'll happen.Unfortunately I was JUST too young to remember the Y2K scare, as at the time I was only 3, but if I were older I would have known that was bullshit as well. And lol, I repped you for that tangent you went off on Shadow. Was funny.

Tempest

The Lotus Eater
Staff member
[quote name='"ShadowBlazer' date=' post: 31678"']Chicks like her gives Christianity a bad name. She's clearly breaking the 2nd Commandment. Thou shan't use thy Lord's name in Vain.And as expected, Otaku and Anime Nerds alike would face a few weeks of fasting due to this tragedy. I like to think of it as fasting for Lent.[/quote]She's actually trolling. Seriously. I've read up on a few articles regarding that video and in the end, she was just a troll. Although I must say she succeeded in trolling, there are limits. This isn't one of those things you make those kind of statements and people laugh it off. I'm sure she'll be harassed by /b/ tards.

amandaluvsya

Kissing ZeroKnight's Neck
Staff member
I know i feel bad for those poor peoplei can't imagine an 8.9i been through a 6 and...it wasn't fun at all so i can't imagine an 8.9 and it lasting for 5 mins I hope they come out of it okay and are able to bounce back from iton the side note of the 2012 thing... it can suck eggzi find it stupid, they said the same thing about the year 2000i remember the big panic that the world was gonna come to an end when it turned 2000bunch of people killed themselves in 1999 because they thought the world was going to enddidn't end soooooo~ same thing with this~ ^^

Troll or no troll, the deaths of thousands should not be made fun of. More so if you are using the Lord's name.There was a tweet about "Feeling better" after hearing the news of the 8.9 (upgraded to 9.0 btw) quake. Saying that you should compare this deathtoll with the one from Pearl Harbor...not funny.9/11 jokes are still getting dirty looks so why should this be any different? People are just retarded. (in general)

Death is a serious matter.... this incident will take it's effect on the whole world... it'll take years to rebuild Japan (5 years in their calculation) and the scar will stay forever... *shudders* current report says that there are 18000 deaths confirmed... by the time you read this... there's probably more..and no anime or japanese video games for months... or years...