Pluto Not a Planet!?

Krahe

Full of bees
Well, I thought I'd kick things off with a little debate. Thursday, August 24, Pluto was demoted from the ninth planet, last, and smallest planet in our solar system, to a 'dwarf planet,' joining two more objects with that new discription, Ceres and UB313 (nicknamed Xena). This came about after the International Astronomical Union approved an official definition of what consitutes as a 'planet.' Here's a news story from Yahoo! News.

I'm wondering what your thoughts are on this subject. Should Pluto have remaind a planet despite the new guide lines? Is the new descripton correct in your view? Do you think it strange to suddenly have only eight planets in the solar system? Do you care? Does it matter? <strike>When will I stop asking you all these questions?</strike>

Personally, I think it's kind of strange. When we were taught about the solar system, we learned about nine planets, the last being icy Pluto. I suppose it's strange to me because it seems like something's been taken away; like everything I thought has suddenly been proven wrong...

Anyway, discuss. What do you think of all this? Agree, disagree, or don't care?

Nori

I honestly think that scientist should spend there time on things that are worth investigating, than debating over Pluto being a planet in our solar system. Despite the fact that it's actually smaller than Earths moon, who really gives a damn, it's just gonna cause us to spend more money making new text books.

To answer you questions.
Yes, pluto should have remained a planet because I doubt the majority of people in the world cared if it was or not. They were taught it was so keep it that way.

The new description is whatever to me.

Yea I think it's strange that scientist spend there time doing stupid stuff like this.

I care now, only because this ofcourse hit mainstream news, but no it really doesn't matter. I can't remember the last time I talked about Pluto. -_-

That's all I have to say.

I dont really give a care about pluto nor any other planets beside earth.Its kinda dumb we got all this stuff happening down here and they talking about space.Aw forget space we got other issues going on right now to be worrying about pluto.

dev

i disagree,coz after pluto kick away from solar system,it make many promblem like many book factory need to change the book,those who like planet pluto with feel sad and the more important is if the sainstis say it kick away from solar system but IT WILL ALWAYS STILL THERE,and tell the true,i like pluto planet coz mstery

Nori

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dev @ Aug 27 2006, 03:29 AM) [snapback]49[/snapback]</div>
i disagree,coz after pluto kick away from solar system,it make many promblem like many book factory need to change the book,those who like planet pluto with feel sad and the more important is if the sainstis say it kick away from solar system but IT WILL ALWAYS STILL THERE,and tell the true,i like pluto planet coz mstery[/b]
I'm wondering what you disagree with, cause I can kinda tell from what you say in your post, but get confused later on lol.

to my mind, it's normal to consider that pluto is not a planet. Since i'm a child, i was wondering why it was whereas some others like Ceres weren't. Or else, it would be ok if there was other ones, but there would be too much, and they wouldn't really be like the 7 "regulars".
to my mind, we should create a second category with planets like pluto...

i agree that people who think of this for years could use their skills better.

well Nori,
if it goes in a circle or whatever oval thing
if it is big enough to stand on
if its round
its a planet and pluto must be a planet or a dog.

Nori

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HowlingFish @ Oct 1 2006, 12:55 AM) [snapback]268[/snapback]</div>
well Nori,
if it goes in a circle or whatever oval thing
if it is big enough to stand on
if its round
its a planet and pluto must be a planet or a dog.[/b]
Why was this stated to me. I didn't say it shouldn't be a planet. But you're theory is dumb, because if it's a cicle/oval, big enough to stand on, and its round (which all circles are), then Earth's moon would be considered a planet, and it's not. The sun would also be considered a planet. It is technically big enough for you to stand on, you'd be burned to dust before you get there though.

I don't think the question is whether or not people should be wasting their time on this, how much it will cost to replace text books, whether or not you've believed it is and all that junk, if it's not really a planet then so be it. The science people (whoever they are lol) are the ones who really know what they're talking about, not us...I don't think it should be that big of a deal...except for the fact that it messes up that acronym for remembering the planets names: My very educated mother just served us nine pizzas...now what is the mother going to serve??? lol

It reminds me of how in the 1800s, the Supreme court ruled that tomatoes are vegetables. In reality, they aren't, but the court said so for import/export duty purposes...

Look at me, being a history teacher here...I'll shut up ;)

well every text book that I had dealing with space said pluto was a planet though it was debated other than though it didn't say much about pluto.
Beside that only one fact changes about pluto and if people replaced books every time 1 fact changed then we would live in one poor country (if you live in the U.S.)

i dont care that if them scientist took of pluto off or not, cuz it doesnt interfer in my life, but its gonna be hard t forget since ive been taught that pluto has been a planet and now its gone

Um. I think Pluto still should be a planet, I mean, it's not a moon and it doesn't revolve around anything but the sun and it has it's own moon. Charon. I still like to think it's a planet anyway.

But the hardest thing to deal with it- Sailor Pluto from Sailor Moon... doesn't have her planet anymore?!

But that's ok, I mean at the end of the series you find that Sailor Senshi could be Sailor Scouts of Stars and rivers... and stuff like that so I guess it's ok... it's just not the same tho...

Doesnt Pluto act kind of like a moon when it sometimes goes ahead of Neptune (I think) and then comes back and it seems like it is revolving around it.

pluto is not really a planet, coz it isnt what u would call round, its size is too small, and the possiblity of anything surviving or living on it is near impossible

Nori

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kyoquadon @ Nov 20 2006, 05:35 PM) [snapback]812[/snapback]</div>
the possiblity of anything surviving or living on it is near impossible[/b]
That's the same thing with every planet except for Earth. None of the other planets have water, they're either filled with toxic gases, or it's hot as hell.

How do you know there not any living organism there? Yeah the tempatures,and the gases or w.e. But there might be aliens that can live in those harsh conditions.