Now and Then, Here and There

Sanae

Staff member

While walking home "Shu", the main protagonist sees a person on top of a smoke stack in an industrial park where he used to hang out as a young child, Shuzo tries numerous attempts to communicate with the young girl but she is rather emotionless and quiet. After decoding her name from her lips (Lala Ru) the only other piece of information he finds out about her is her love of watching sunsets. Suddenly there is an explosion and time stops, he finds himself defending Lala Ru from abductors. He is caught in the transportation to another world after attempting to defend an unknown girl. Lala-Ru possesses a pendant containing (somehow) a vast reservoir of water and she has the ability to control that water.

Shu discovers the new world, a harsh and deserted landscape and he is beaten and interrogated inside the war ship. While in prison he also meets another abducted person called Sara Ringwalt who came from America and was mistaken for Lala Ru. Sara goes through extremely horrific experiences and eventually becomes on edge frightened with fear. Shu is forced to join an army of children and pillage in search of water. He wishes to return home and also find the mysterious girl whom he tried to protect.

Although it may seem like it at first, this is not a lighthearted series. Much of the series deals with serious moral issues relating to war, the consequences of war, rape, democide, human brutality and the exploitation of children.

Source- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Now_and_Then,_Here_and_There

Has anyone seen this one? It's a bit older then the ones that's out now.. I can't really remember when I first saw this series, but it was on International Channel. It's one of those deep anime with many deep messages.

There was one scene where:

Soon shoots Boo in the back fro believing he was the one who shot her dad.. I'm not sure that is what really happened (that Boo shot her father), but I cried ;___;

and then there was when:

Sara was thrown into prison and was raped T_T

Yeah.. Pretty deep scenarios in this series ^^

Note: Do not peek under the spoiler tags if you have not see this series!​

Voltorn

Enjoying life
It looks pretty old, but I think I have watched it long time ago when I was in elementary school. It started when I begged my mom to buy me digimon the movie VCD or something like that, but she didn't know where to get it, so she bought me random anime VCDs because she thought I was too young to understand any anime, and I was actually. >_>

Anyway,
did they fight with machines and robots? Was in the last episodes the male protagonist leading a rebellion army to attack a warship and to save the girl? And did the girl have a blue pendant? And did the girl die or disappear at the final episode? o.0

Sanae

Staff member
Oh wow, that young and you remember it xD?

Yes ^^

After the main faction was defeated, everyone had a choice to go back to their own time or stay behind. Lala Ru and Shu returned to his time, but Lala Ru disappeared in the last episode.

Omi-g, with all this talk of the different sides in this series (look at the character list), it could be turned into an AG xD

Gives me the shivers if the future turns militarized T__T;

Voltorn

Enjoying life
lol

It was about 8 years ago, so I only remember few parts of that anime even though I probably have watched the whole thing. xD

I had no idea I watched something with morality issue when I was in elementary school. Fortunately, I didn't understand any of those stuffs, and I watched it alone. There would be no more anime/TV for me if my parents watched it together with me. XD And what kind of person would I be now if I could understand those indecent things? lol Gosh, my mother is awesome xD

lol

Civilization has got better and better as the time moves, so let's just think optimistically about the future. ^^

Sanae

Staff member
Yeah, most parents do think anime is your everyday runofthemill cartoon xD; At times, it's good that they think that xD

From what you can remember of it, would you recommend it to others to watch ^__^?

Voltorn

Enjoying life
lol

I don't completely remember how the story is going, so sorry, there's no way I would recommend it. ^^

But I'ma put it on my watch list for my summer break. ^^

Thanks for the sharing. ^^

Wolfnagi

♥♥♥♥♥♥ ~Nagi~ ♥♥♥♥♥♥
Haven't watch nor knows bout it.

But one thing is true, old anime filled with awesome plots!!!!

Thought they lack moe (which is directly opposite with current anime shows...)

Speaking of which, anybody watched Rose of Versailles?

IT. IS. AWESOME!!!!!!

This is one of those old classics the current generation can still bear to watch despite the horrific graphics (compared to now) because of its strong story. I would recommend this as a must-watch.