Moving Forward

gama169

Densetsu no Tabibito
Moving Forward is about an average soldier named Hiyo who's trying to make it by after the kingdom he resides in is defeated and taken over by war with another country.

Part 1-A Boy Running

I'd been running for days now, wondering how close they were to me, fearing that they would catch up to me if I stopped to rest. But now, I was finally at my limit. I was out of breath, out of energy, and I couldn't move myself any more. Collapsing on the ground, I thought to myself, Is this really how it's going to end for me? I always thought that I'd make it...that I wouldn't be like the others....I should've realised that I'm just like everyone else......human. Yes.....human........I thought about that as I layed there. My village had been by the front lines of the war, so I knew my family were probably either dead or captuered. No...I couldn't stay that for sure. My mother and my sisters might still be alive, but captured...and like me, my dad had been conscripted as a soldier for the war. It wasn't a great chance, but they might still be alive. Well, that was more than I would soon be able to say for myself. I knew that, because I heard foot steps. As it neared me, I thought, This is finally it...if anything, I just hope he makes it quick... With those last thoughts, I let the darkness that comes from fatigue over take me.

Part 2-A person Still Alive

I woke up, still feeling dead tired. But then I jolted awake, realising that waking up meant I wasn't dead. Looking around, the first things I noticed was that I was in a barn house, and I was laying on a pile of hay. I should have been worried, or wondered how I got here, but relieved knowing that I was still okay, I suddenly felt sleepy again, and I drifted back to my dreams. Some time later, although how long I do not know, I felt myself being shaken awake. I opened my eyes to see who it was, and it met with another man's eyes. For a moment, I thought he was another kingdom's soldier, and I srawled backwards away from him. Moving back, my head hit the wall behind me. At that, the man started laughing at my reaction. "A little jumpy, aren't ya boy?" he asked me still laughing. At that, I had come to my senses. Looking at him, he wasn't a soldier from the other kingdom. Rather, I noticed a sword on his side with the emblem of a knight of our kingdom. Taking a better look at him, the man was probably in his mid fourties. He had brown eyes that was matched by brown hair, and he was fairly taller than me. "Hi......I'm Hiyo." I told him, feeling much calmer than I did a minute ago. "Good to see you got your wits back upon you." the man said in his ever happy tone. "Glad to see a friendly face...my name's Dillan, and welcome to my farm."

Part 3-A Good Feeling

"So as I was saying.....after that, my forces were completely over whelmed, and there was no real choice but to retreat...In the end though, I think only a few of my soldiers made it out, where ever they are....." Dillan was telling me his story over some cooked ham. He was doing all the talking really, but I hadn't eaten for the last few days, and I had barely gotten any water, so I was content to just eat and listen for now. "Any ways, you're probably wondering why a knight has a farm. You see, in my younger days, I was a normal peasant, just like you. But I had shown a a lot of hope physically, and as a swordsman, so I was offered a chance to go to an academy to learn to become a knight. Obviously I took it. I spent a lot of years as a knight, but I never forgot about the farm I grew up on...so when my parents died, I hired some one to watch over the farm since I couldn't. After I escaped when we lost the war, the first place I thought of was here. I mean, we might be able to build forces to fight off the empire...and what place is better to start operations, than a source of food, a farm?"

He said that, but I kind of felt that the man was just attached to this farm. But even if that was the case, what he said made sense. "Any ways..." Dillan continued, "Since we're both from the war, I was wondering...would you stay here and help me and Ivas take care of this place, so we can eventually take back our kingdom?" I smiled, genuinly happy at his offer. I felt like I could believe in this man's leadership, and, it just felt like something that was good. "I'd be my honor, Sir Dillan." I said to him. Even though there was no monarchy any more for a knighthood to be relevent, I respected this man, so it was an easy thing to say.

Part 4-A Big Mistake

I was helping to take care of the farm now. My job was to take care of the live stock...feeding the chickens and cows, milking the cows, getting eggs from the chickens, and so on. I had been doing this for a week now. It felt strange that things could be so peaceful even though we had just lost the war. There were a few others who had also managed to find their way here. Every day, the atmosphere was good, as we talked about family, and what we wanted to do when we finally took the kingdom back. Some wanted to find their family, while some others wanted to try owning an inn. We all laughed at the guy, who didn't seem like the type to own an inn. It was a good time until they came. As we chatted, soldiers burst through the doors, demanding that we surrendered. We were totally caught by surprise. Some of them had kept their spears near them, but nearly have of the few of us didn't have weapons. I for one did have weapons.

I went through the back exit, hoping to in turn catch the soldiers from the other kingdom by surprised, but when I got out, I saw that there were at least twenty outside, all armed, and ready for us. We wouldn't stand a chance. I tried warning the others, but they wouldn't listen to me. They insisted that they'd fight and take back the kingdom by their own hands. With that many soldiers though, I didn't think we'd even survive the fight. Like earlier in the war, I was scared for my life. I didn't believe in us winning....so I ran, and ran, and ran. As I ran, I heard cries from the soldiers that were just my comrades, as they were quickly and mercilessly slaughtered, like I thought would happen. Once again, I was running.

Part 5-A Soldier Without a Reason

I ran for at least a few hours before I stopped to look back. I hadn't been followed. "What was I thinking...?" I asked myself, leadning back against a tree while I caught my breath. "Putting together an army using stray soldiers to fight back against the other country? It wasn't possible in the first place...it was a mistake to think otherwise..." I wouldn't do something like that again, I knew better now. It had definitely been to much to hope for. "A base of operations that's still so close to where the front lines? Yeah right....it's better to just do what you can and get one by...." I told myself. As I stood up and started walking again, I repeated those words in my mind again and again. Then, I started thinking about other stuff. Like, what was I supposed to do now? As far as I know, I don't have anything left, or any where to go....I....don't have a reason, but I keep going....why? I kept thinking about it throughout the rest of the day as I walked the forest, but nothing came to mind. Giving up on why I still kept going, my thoughts turned toward food. I was getting hungry again, and I didn't have any food with me.

Part 6 Coming soon....

Yeyyy Medieval stuff! I like!

The parts are bite-sized and easy to read, and I like that. You're pretty cruel, though, making the guy run away from the farm just as I was about to become more interested in it.

I'll be waiting for more! ;hello;

gama169

Densetsu no Tabibito
Lol, the medieval times were actually pretty dark times.....so I'm making this story a tad bit dark. Besides, have you ever heard of the term, hitting rock bottom so you can climb up higher than ever before? ^ ^