Media Exposition

Xiga

In many of the discussion threads it has been discussions about the topic provided by various documentaries and scandal movies. It has been about the slut walk, the rodeo and the exposition of companies intentionally making things that should break faster, so that more consumers would buy their products. But none or little of these topics would have been discussed the way that they have unless media had been there and documented it, and then later on exposed it through television, Internet, radio or commercials and demonstrations.

I think media exposition is necessary to prevent corruption and so on, and funding the media is needed. But how much funding?
Do you think it's necessary? What is your opinion on the media?

If you mean government funded then no. I don't think the government should fund anything it doesn't run and operates for profit.

As it is even if private news companies provide valuable information and hold people accountable for their actions, they are also business that are seeking the maximum profit so they show everybody as much scandal and violence as possible regardless of whether that actually represents something common or true.

If news was actually a public service which provided unbiased information on corruption then it would be unable to fund itself because nobody would pay attention.

Kaze Araki

Libertarian Communist
In many of the discussion threads it has been discussions about the topic provided by various documentaries and scandal movies. It has been about the slut walk, the rodeo and the exposition of companies intentionally making things that should break faster, so that more consumers would buy their products. But none or little of these topics would have been discussed the way that they have unless media had been there and documented it, and then later on exposed it through television, Internet, radio or commercials and demonstrations.

I think media exposition is necessary to prevent corruption and so on, and funding the media is needed. But how much funding?
Do you think it's necessary? What is your opinion on the media?
I think a more crucial question would be; who's funding them? In this instance, we all know that government and corporate funding sources are inherently corrupt, but there's another alternative - that is; community funding.

TRNN, which is my main authoritative source for news - is non-governmental, non-corporate, and its funding is entirely dependence on public donation. This is the best model that I've encountered so far, but then again, for this model to succeed, the society itself needs to be politically active and aware.

It is never the government that destroy democracy, it is us and our indifference.

http://therealnews.com/t2/

-lexus-

Visions of Hell
Why not have the government fund like one News channel? We do it in the Netherlands and it works fine. The NOS is one of the best watched news program in the Netherlands and its definitely not taking any sides.

Zero Phoenix

The Second Coming of Hazama
Why not have the government fund like one News channel? We do it in the Netherlands and it works fine. The NOS is one of the best watched news program in the Netherlands and its definitely not taking any sides.
People in the Netherlands are smart. People in America not so much. Your system works for your country but it would never fly here.