Mass Media: Beneficial or Detrimental?

The mass media has taken the world by storm. From traditional media such as newspapers and television, to new-age media such as the internet, media has allowed information to be disseminated at an unprecedented rate? However, has media been generally beneficial or detrimental to us?

Some arguments I can think of on the spot:

Mass media may destabilize society because they can be used for dissent.
Mass media may fragment society along moral lines because some people have more tolerance for more raunchy media and others have less

However, mass media can be used to connect the government with the people, ensuring that their opinions are heard, etc.

Note that these are not my opinions, just general arguments I can think of at the moment.

So? Has mass media been beneficial or detrimental?

The mass media has taken the world by storm. From traditional media such as newspapers and television, to new-age media such as the internet, media has allowed information to be disseminated at an unprecedented rate? However, has media been generally beneficial or detrimental to us?

Some arguments I can think of on the spot:

Mass media may fragment society along moral lines because some people have more tolerance for more raunchy media and others have less

However, mass media can be used to connect the government with the people, ensuring that their opinions are heard, etc.

Note that these are not my opinions, just general arguments I can think of at the moment.

So? Has mass media been beneficial or detrimental?
The development of mass media (Pamphlets, Newspapers, etc) is responsible for most of the populist political revolutions of the last couple of centuries, so I'd argue that it can certainly empower people who would otherwise be ignorant.

Of course all Mass Media is biased, that's the nature of the beast. But that is a trait more intrinsic to man himself than the media specifically.

It is the duty of free-thinkers to know the partisan news from the actually informative and fair news, but never to silence them. Silencing any speech on subjective grounds is a dangerous precedent.

Kaze Araki

Libertarian Communist
Mass Media = Traditional Media = Mainstream Media
New-Age Media = Alternative Media

mass media can be used to connect the government with the people, ensuring that their opinions are heard,

All three arguments came out from the same exact source, the government.

It is the duty of the journalistic media to challenge the government, otherwise it could not even label itself as a journalistic media.

-lexus-

Visions of Hell
Neutral. Mass media itself isnt that much different then older media. Only the scales have changed.

So for every beneficial thing it has caused, it may just as easily cause something terrible.

Bill Maher is a loathsome and dishonest human being.
He gets owned by Michael Scheuer in his own show.
Bill Maher is a man with opinions. I don't agree with him on everything (I wouldn't let my disagreement of his views color my views on him morally), but I respect that he brings guests like Michael Scheuer, who will challenge him, and provide an entertaining and informative program.

The ideological debates that appear on Real Time are diverse and quite interesting. Far more good points have been made on his show than on most news networks, I'd argue.