Made in China

Hamuko

I feel free when the world doesn't owe it to me.
This only shows us how much people fear others from going against rules that they have to resort to torture and beatings

-lexus-

Visions of Hell
Terrible. However, Europe and America werent any better a few hundred years ago. I fear such things are part of development pains, sad but unavoidable.

Core

Fascinating...
I dont really see the problem.

Not to be a complete bastard i'll explain.

In a country the size of china a woman getting beaten up for speaking out is about on the same level as your neighbor punishing(no phyiscal abuse) his children because they aren't religious enough.

But we have freedom of speech and religion IN THE FIRST WORLD. The second world whilst almost extinct does not have those rules. But I dont see you running over to your neighbor and telling him his religious views are wrong so its unlikely that you will run over to china and tell them their government is wrong.

Starting to see the point im making? If you believe in the rights you have been given in your country that means you also have to respect that the chinese have right to their freedoms. Sure the woman getting tortured.. tragic but thats news.

Zero Phoenix

The Second Coming of Hazama
Terrible. However, Europe and America werent any better a few hundred years ago. I fear such things are part of development pains, sad but unavoidable.
I think it's more than development pains. Human Rights as a construct goes against many of China's norms. Women aren't viewed in the brightest light and neither are protests against Chinese policies. Mix the two together and you have a recipe for disaster. I'm not trying to sound cruel but while I understand her need to stand up for her rights, or her perceived rights, I have to wonder about her common sense or lack thereof.

Again, I do not mean to be cruel because a great deal of blame lay on the shoulders of the Chinese government. However, she had to know the risks.

I dont really see the problem.

Not to be a complete bastard i'll explain.

In a country the size of china a woman getting beaten up for speaking out is about on the same level as your neighbor punishing(no phyiscal abuse) his children because they aren't religious enough.

But we have freedom of speech and religion IN THE FIRST WORLD. The second world whilst almost extinct does not have those rules. But I dont see you running over to your neighbor and telling him his religious views are wrong so its unlikely that you will run over to china and tell them their government is wrong.

Starting to see the point im making? If you believe in the rights you have been given in your country that means you also have to respect that the chinese have right to their freedoms. Sure the woman getting tortured.. tragic but thats news.

Your post has sense and nonsense. How fascinating. You cannot take a child getting put on punishment and compare that to a woman being wrongly imprisoned, beaten, tortured, and starved for days on end.

On the other hand you are correct in that freedom and rights are something we have in the first world. China has no concrete system of human rights and therefore, it's citizens have no rights and are not entitled to anything. They're merely given an allowance. The Chinese government allows them to live there. The government allows them to work there. And so forth. Given that China does not subscribe to the same social contract that we do, the people in China are not entitled to any rights just because they're people. As such, if the people live under the government then that government is allowed to do anything they wish. I don't agree to it but I can't do anything about it either,

And like you said Core, it's just the news. This sort of thing happens everyday, not just in China but in Africa, India, you name a place and there is a person being oppressed, beaten, tortured, for something. I'm guessing there were probably dozens if not hundreds of women in that same region who were imprisoned, got beat up, tortured, etcetera, because that's the type of country China is.

-lexus-

Visions of Hell
I think it's more than development pains. Human Rights as a construct goes against many of China's norms. Women aren't viewed in the brightest light and neither are protests against Chinese policies. Mix the two together and you have a recipe for disaster. I'm not trying to sound cruel but while I understand her need to stand up for her rights, or her perceived rights, I have to wonder about her common sense or lack thereof.

Again, I do not mean to be cruel because a great deal of blame lay on the shoulders of the Chinese government. However, she had to know the risks.
Of course, but wasnt it the same in the west a 100 years ago? Women belonged in the kitchen and be obedient housewives and stuff. If she tried to be more then that, she got into trouble as well. I believe many countries had a law that made it illegal for married women to have a job.

Now look at where women are. It wasnt because men just let them, they had to stand up for their rights first as well. By the time they did, the west was already democratic and you couldnt just repress them. Anyways, sure, this outcome was likely, but if no one stands up for more rights, they will never get more rights as well.

Thats life. Trying to go against the Chinese government may be the stupidest act I ever seen. Like any other protest its only effective when 1 of 2 things happen..

1. The government is in dire need of more labor ,resources or something that would help rush the need for women in a non-tradition way.
2. The government at its weakest,

Both don't describe the Chinese government.

China has had a history of being rather high-handed in it's management of human rights. Stuff like this is sadly more or less commonplace in China. Still, there is hope yet. The Hu-Wen administration have shown that they are more considerate towards human rights, so we might see some noted improvement either this year or next year when the Xi-Li administration comes into power.

Zero Phoenix

The Second Coming of Hazama
China has had a history of being rather high-handed in it's management of human rights. Stuff like this is sadly more or less commonplace in China. Still, there is hope yet. The Hu-Wen administration have shown that they are more considerate towards human rights, so we might see some noted improvement either this year or next year when the Xi-Li administration comes into power.

And you claim this on account of what? I'm sure he's all well and good and I've done my homework. However, I doubt he'll be able to stand in front of the business practices of the Chinese government which are deeply rooted in human rights violations. In the battle between man versus money I think Wen is going to be a casualty of the next election. If he gets in then hopefully he'll place restrictions on corporations that encourage human rights violations and maybe he'll change some of China's policies. However, the only reason China has the corporate support that it does is because there are no pesky regulations in place.

It's a catch-22.

Can the Chinese people have rights and food?

Core

Fascinating...

Your post has sense and nonsense. How fascinating. You cannot take a child getting put on punishment and compare that to a woman being wrongly imprisoned, beaten, tortured, and starved for days on end.

On the other hand you are correct in that freedom and rights are something we have in the first world. China has no concrete system of human rights and therefore, it's citizens have no rights and are not entitled to anything. They're merely given an allowance. The Chinese government allows them to live there. The government allows them to work there. And so forth. Given that China does not subscribe to the same social contract that we do, the people in China are not entitled to any rights just because they're people. As such, if the people live under the government then that government is allowed to do anything they wish. I don't agree to it but I can't do anything about it either,

And like you said Core, it's just the news. This sort of thing happens everyday, not just in China but in Africa, India, you name a place and there is a person being oppressed, beaten, tortured, for something. I'm guessing there were probably dozens if not hundreds of women in that same region who were imprisoned, got beat up, tortured, etcetera, because that's the type of country China is.

The part you called nonsense was a comparison of metaphorical size :)

1 woman getting tortured in a country of 1 billion is the same as one kid getting sent to his room in his own neighborhood.

In severity of condition you cant compare a child being punished as a women getting tortured. That is correct but it was a metaphorical comparison. Not meant to be taken literally.

And you claim this on account of what? I'm sure he's all well and good and I've done my homework. However, I doubt he'll be able to stand in front of the business practices of the Chinese government which are deeply rooted in human rights violations. In the battle between man versus money I think Wen is going to be a casualty of the next election. If he gets in then hopefully he'll place restrictions on corporations that encourage human rights violations and maybe he'll change some of China's policies. However, the only reason China has the corporate support that it does is because there are no pesky regulations in place.

It's a catch-22.

Can the Chinese people have rights and food?
[MENTION=170]Zero Phoenix[/MENTION]

Claim which part? That China doesn't have the best human rights record, or that the Hu-Wen administration has been more supportive of human rights so far? If you meant the latter, then I have a few sources:

U.S. Drops China From List of Top 10 Violators of Rights
China devoted to improving human rights - minister
China plans to improve human rights

Sure, these may be just token statements from the popularist Hu-Wen administration, but it does give credence to the notion that the human rights situation is slowly improving in China.

Also, the Hu-Wen administration is already slated to be replaced by the Xi-Li administration in 2012. It's not so much a "casualty of the next election", because China doesn't actually hold elections, but more of a transfer of power.