Gnome Vs. KDE

Asch

Administrator
Staff member
To all Linux users[I know, some of them are their in the wilderness], which desktop environment between this two you like, or use and why[you might be using other ones too, no problem in mentioning them ]. I cannot form a opinion myself, if it was like 2 years before, I would have gone with Gnome, but now KDE is polished enough, and uses QT, while Gnome uses GTK+, on the top of it The back-ends in KDE are more slicker to work with, as working them on Gnome. But Gnome is more stable[as far as I have seen]. What are your opinion on this revelry, or its just meh ?

DarkSign

Lolis' God
Staff member
I am using KDE 4. Even though people says that it is just like mac, etc, etc, well, I like the features and my productivity raised up with KDE. I used to use Gnome. I didn't try the new Gnome 3.

Asch

Administrator
Staff member
What I have heard about Gnome 3 is that, its more like a Gnome made for netbooks and touchscreens, I have to try it, and compare it with Unity before deciding that it is worthy of competing KDS 4.6.2, cause if Unity is better, Gnome will shift as a backend atleast for ubuntu.

DeadSilent

WḦ͈̲͙̙́͗̋̍ͪ̐̽A̘̞̖̥̦̩̫ ̬͗̇́
I use the latest version of Gnome and I have used the latest version of KDE. I've found that I like Gnome better. I personally don't like how KDE resembles Windows.

Asch

Administrator
Staff member
Unity is good, although not as much perfect as a fullblown standalone environment extension, it acts well as a launcher[I guess it is meant for that only]

Using KDE now, it is getting stronger and stronger day by day, tried GNOME 3.0, was not that impressive.