Global Warming

amanda

it has brought up alot of interesting points about just how serious the situation really is. Weather patterns are slowly becoming more and more unpredictable and while the predictions of scientists may seem to be very drastic, they might not have been all that far from the truth. The books has alot of pictures comparing certain locations at different years, and it's pretty shocking to see just how far the ice has receded over the years, and gaining in pace too.

So wad do you guys think? Is global warming progressing at a rate that is as bad as the scientists claim? And is there still time for us to rectify the errors of our ways?

what do you guys think?

Cruss-kun

Pokemon Master
Lawl, you're wrong. Global Warming is when it gets hotter in Summer and Colder in Winter. Besides even if it did just mean that all year it would get warmer the effects haven't been too serious yet so it would still snow... depending on where you live.

Gobal Warming IS happening. We used to get snow a lot in Wales, now it's just rain, and the floods.

>_>

It's def. happpening.

Morcombe

King of Kings
As long as it doesn't happen in 50 yesr then we'll be fine a sthe world will have run out of oil and thus no more car pollution, menaing we're saved yay!

haruka

Phoenix of the Red Moon
well, it it true that many stuff happened in my country lately. during summer there's too much heat, unlike few years ago, and stuff like that, in the morning you can't get out cause of the heat and during nighttime, they're great storms, that even pull out trees and destroy houses.
but the end of the world is not that near, it would probably get worst in 50-100 years time.
but that's my opinion, i'm not that good at these kind of things. scientist should know better

Last edited:

tyron256

turnabout moderation
i think its really happening. we have been hearing more and more about storms being stronger or more frequent. hard to say global warming is responsible for it but in about 50 years we'll probably know for sure one way or the other.

Cruss-kun

Pokemon Master
Well global warming is actually natural it's like the end of the ice age it keeps getting warmer, but we speeding up the process from cars and factories, but there are natural causes too like volcanoes. Basically we are killing the Ozone layer and heat is coming in easier rather then leaving faster, but it's gotten colder in my area so it might just depend on where you live.

Spark

Club Member
The greenhouse effect is natural, but what we humans are doing today is without a doubt accelerating this process; for instance, atmospheric CO2 levels have reached unprecedented levels. The result of this enhanced greenhouse effect is global warming. You may not notice its effects, but keep in mind that it is a global dilemma. That is, on average the temperatures are rising. So while it may still be cool where you live, elsewhere (especially the poles) the temperatures are going up quite a few degrees. These offset the colder temperatures. What's worse is that where it is getting hotter, that's where all our planet's ice is. The bright icy surfaces reflect sunlight; water and land, not so much. Consider the consequences when that ice begins to melt more rapidly. Yikes! Rising sea levels is the obvious outcome. But consider also the changes in the water's salinity levels, how the climate/rain will be affected, the shifting of many species to new homes, the extinction of others etc.

In my view, global warming will only get worse. While renewable energy sources will become more efficient and more widespread and the world's nations will see the impending dangers of warming, alas it may be too late. Greenhouse gases will continue to flood our atmospheres, the number of plants and trees on our world have become too few, and the human population only continues to increase. Perhaps a solution does exist in technology, but I would not count on it. At least, not for the next fifty or even hundred years.

Kenzou

pink spider
Lawl, you're wrong. Global Warming is when it gets hotter in Summer and Colder in Winter. Besides even if it did just mean that all year it would get warmer the effects haven't been too serious yet so it would still snow... depending on where you live.
Sounds normal to me. It's always been colder in Winter, and hotter in summer.

It is true that we are suffering from Global Warming at this point, unfortunately the governments are in denial of this fact. Lets face it, money makes the world go round and in the end Greed will be mankinds downfall.

Kenzou

pink spider
Well, to be honest I do believe in global warming. But I know theres nothing we can do about it, so i usually ignore it. It's also quite clear that this generation will be dead or near death by the time it gets bad.

Spark

Club Member
Well, to be honest I do believe in global warming. But I know theres nothing we can do about it, so i usually ignore it. It's also quite clear that this generation will be dead or near death by the time it gets bad.
Your outlook is now so much more pessimistic lol. But I think we humans will find a way to adapt and survive. We won't die off that easily. But yeh, to fix the global warming problem will require major overhaul of... everything. The way our governments operate, the way corporations do business, the way everyday people do things (consume less, recycle/reuse more). Of course, we will still need some breakthrough technology.

Fatty150

Panties Enthusiast
Note: I am not a scientist, nor have I done any climate studies of my own, I am simply re-stating various arguments I have come upon.

While global warming may (or may not) be occurring, the current evidence comes nowhere close to supporting the idea.

Water vapor makes up around 70% of the greenhouse effect, not including clouds. Figures taking clouds into account place the effect of water vapor between 90% and 95% of greenhouse gasses. Humans cause between 0.001% to 0% of water vapor.

Factoring in water vapor, man-made C02 contributions make up 0.117% of the total greenhouse effect, and taking into account all measured greenhouse gasses the humans contribute only 0.28% to the greenhouse effect.

In fact, we're not even sure the global temperature is increasing. The first 3/4 of the temperature chart most commonly used by global warming scientists was estimated by arctic ice-core samples. After that, temperatures were taken by weather-balloon readings. Weather balloon readings did not support warming (they showed cooling in the southern hemisphere), so global warming scientists found a new method. The measurements in the final portion of the chart were taken at weather stations that are notorious for poor placement and below-code construction.

My point is that global warming skepticism arguments place reasonable doubt upon nearly every step of the process, and seem to have just as much merit as arguments supporting global warming.

Spark

Club Member
Factoring in water vapor, man-made C02 contributions make up 0.117% of the total greenhouse effect, and taking into account all measured greenhouse gasses the humans contribute only 0.28% to the greenhouse effect.
I'm not going to be convinced so easily, but a solid case you put out there. I was under the impression that humans contributed much more to the greenhouse effect than less than half a percent of the natural carbon cycle process. Can you point me in the direction of any good sources on this info? Anyways, we still have to keep in mind that even if it is a +0.28% net increase, we still do not know what profound impact even that can do to our environment and ecosystem. Is that significant enough to alter the equilibrium our world has reached?

Well even if the degrees go up like .01-1 degree, it will effect the Earth and causes flooding... yea its only going to get worse...
And when I said earlier that when global temperatures rise even 1 degree, that increase is on the average. Some places may experience lower and cooler temperatures. Other places will experience much greater temperatures. In other words, variation may be a more important indicator here.

Kenzou

pink spider
Your outlook is now so much more pessimistic lol. But I think we humans will find a way to adapt and survive. We won't die off that easily. But yeh, to fix the global warming problem will require major overhaul of... everything. The way our governments operate, the way corporations do business, the way everyday people do things (consume less, recycle/reuse more). Of course, we will still need some breakthrough technology.
Well, I just hate the thought of the whole world telling me not to drive my car.

Cruss-kun

Pokemon Master
Sounds normal to me. It's always been colder in Winter, and hotter in summer.
Lawl. My fault. I meant that it gets hotter then normal and colder then normal. And maybe global warming hasn't had much effect on where you live yet. Like what Katsu said where he lives it isn't snowing. Where I live it snowed last year and it hasn't snowed for 25years before last year.

No, your point is valid. If global warming is the case, we as individuals probably won't be able to do much anyways. Let's just enjoy what we have while we have it.
That's true, but if people can form some sort of union and gather enough people we can make a difference. Just like how African Americans gain there rights. Well some people might not know this if they don't live in the U.S. but your right enjoying what you have now might be the best.