Forum Change. Get ready for the apocalypse!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tempest

The Lotus Eater
Staff member
Yo scallywags. There was a small announcement made on the main site explaining a very important change. Knowing some of you personally, I bet you didn't read 'em as usual so here's hoping you read this without needing any aderall. Don't worry, I'll try to stay off the wall of death text.

We're jumping ship from vBulletin to this shiny thing called xenForo. Them corporate dogs from vB have it out for us so I bought a shiny new ship to use to get out of dodge. AT users will know exactly what I'm talking about so you guys can go back to drinking your beers. It's another forum software, and a mighty sexy one at that. It's modern, more flexible and all that goodness. The good news is that you won't lose much except your credit cards. The technical things are our specialty so explaining them would be a borefest... I'll get on with it. Here's the somewhat grim news. Some data will be reset. You'll need to re-add your friends. Awards/Trophies will have to be rebuilt. Not a hard job, just a small matter of time. Don't worry, you'll get them once I run the cron job and Rina has finished adding the old trophies from now and some funny new ones.

The look and feel will be different. It's different software but don't mind too much. Think of it as going out with a spicy foreigner instead of the locals. The ever so quirky Konata skin will be ported over and your brilliant friend DarkSign has done a wonderful job of porting it. Your buddies Canabary and Boyd are also losing a limb or two in helping Dark out on his mighty quest but that's why we've got spare peg-legs in the trunk. Abarnes is busy getting smashed so no worries there.

Besides the Konata skin, AT resident Sachiko and Amandaluvsya were working on different anime skins for xenForo, originally intended to be used on AT but you know what happened to us. Full Metal Alchemist and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann themed respectively. We'll finish those up too and you can have some intimate time with them. On the topic of skins, every other skin will be vastly but awesomely different than your typical vB skin. It's a new software, new shiny things to collect you landlubbers. So don't get freaked out if you don't get something. Dark and I are well versed with this software and so are your AT fellows. You can ask me or Dark about any of the technical things and we'll be happy to explain it to you. Though I say ask me because I've got Dark working like a dog.

Lastly, we've got a deadline of sorts because of good ol' corporate. We're working as fast as we can to port over everything but please don't mind if we aren't able to. It just means we'll add it in once the conversion is done. :smart:

So, I encourage you to leave any questions you have down below or give me a shout out on my VM.

Placa

News Editor
How soon will we expect this transition to take place? How long will said transition will take place? I'm pretty sure these are ones that need answering the most.

Minor question: Will the MP3 functions be affected in anyway?

Tempest

The Lotus Eater
Staff member
Tomorrow, the day after. I'd say within 3 days.

MP3 will be burnt on a stake, only for a while. It's one of those mods that Darkboy and the gang have to port over manually.

roselillya

Bleep Bloop
Staff member
Oh I love xenForo ... Ill be at home once again.... But will I have to reformat all my posts like I did with the conversion here?

Tempest

The Lotus Eater
Staff member
Oh I love xenForo ... Ill be at home once again.... But will I have to reformat all my posts like I did with the conversion here?
Cool thing about xF is the bbcode manager. We'll just have to insert vB bbcode into it's DB so it works. Most likely, you won't.

Tempest

The Lotus Eater
Staff member
Can you make the normal skin different? Every time I come here and see the Konata skin I feel like cutting myself D:
I don't like it either but as a treat the same skin that was available on AT will be a choice. I don't know if Konata will be the default skin, something we'll have to decide on and something we're not talking about right now. However, regardless of what becomes default, you'll have good alternatives.

[MENTION=164]noex1337[/MENTION] buddy I have no idea what you're talking about. Link me to it.

Tempest

The Lotus Eater
Staff member
Back it up just in case, I suggest that to anyone that has a valuable thread but for yours, nothing will really get screwed over except perhaps the quotes at most. And even if they do, just give us a bit of time and the code will work on it's own soon enough.

DarkSign

Lolis' God
Staff member
Yay for XenForo! We are going back home hehehe!

You guys will see. XF is really amazing! It has a lot of AJAXify content, so it is really nice to work with. You will like it. And as Tempest said, we will have more skins to choose, but worry not as the Konata one is being ported.

But yeah, XenForo rocks!

roselillya

Bleep Bloop
Staff member
Can you make the normal skin different? Every time I come here and see the Konata skin I feel like cutting myself D:
Oh I agree I would love a new default skin. It would be even more awesome if someone like [MENTION=2072]vanesinger[/MENTION] would do it :sneaky: :fan: ... But yea a change in look would be nice... also maybe a banner that redirects you to the forum too ^^

Tempest

The Lotus Eater
Staff member
So, whatever happened to us gfxers working on something to replace konata? =.=
Dunno mate. The only gfxers I really know are the ones from AT. I haven't a clue on the gfxers here yet. Although if they're reading this they should give me a shout out so we can plan some awesome projects together.

dark_9tails

dark_9tailsノ(ಥ益ಥノ)
Oh I agree I would love a new default skin. It would be even more awesome if someone like @vanesinger would do it :sneaky: :fan: ... But yea a change in look would be nice... also maybe a banner that redirects you to the forum too ^^
I second this. Vanesinger's just too awesome <3

Well, I look forward to the migration. Hopefully it's user-friendly too :)

Rascal

Dunno mate. The only gfxers I really know are the ones from AT. I haven't a clue on the gfxers here yet. Although if they're reading this they should give me a shout out so we can plan some awesome projects together.
you could always check around the gfx section if you cared to know ^.^

Status
Not open for further replies.