Buddhism, the foremost of all religions.

Kaze Araki

Libertarian Communist
As a student of comparative religions, I believe that Buddhism is the most perfect one the world has even seen. The philosophy of the theory of evolution and the law of karma were far superior to any other creed. It was neither the history of religion nor the study of philosophy that first drew me to the world of Buddhist thought but my professional interest as a doctor. My task was to treat psychic suffering and it was this that impelled me to become acquainted with the views and methods of that great teacher of humanity, whose principal theme was the chain of suffering, old age, sickness and death.

Dr Carl Jung (1875-1961) Swiss psychologist / psychiatrist, Founder of the Jungian school of psychology

Is Buddhism a religion or a philosophy or mental therapy?
Is Buddhism alleged superiority over other religions a valid claim?
Discuss.

Pimp

Follower of kiyology
Buddism is a Religion...No doubt about it but like all other religion people get so into it they believe that it affects them in a way that it is the be all to end all cure for everything. In some cases it seems to work....But the reasons as to why it works is most likely that the belief that a higher being or higher plain.... Calms the person and lets the bodies natural healing functions do the work that they were meant to do but stress prevents happening.

No...Any religion who claims superiority over another isn't superior at all. All religions are equal and they all have People who use them in good and bad ways...It is mostly because people want to believe that their religion is better then the rest that leads to holy wars and forced coverts.
People can believe what they want but they should know that nothing is going to be better then the rest and you shouldn't have to tolerate other religions you should understand them and get along peacefully with those from other religions.

Is Buddhism a religion or a philosophy or mental therapy?
It's a religion due to the presence of a deity. However, many of the aspects of Buddhism do mirror philosophies.
No religion is superior than any other religions because religion has to do with faith. Faith drives people to claim that their religion is better than others, but at the most basic all religions have the same amount of historical evidence and credibility.

-lexus-

Visions of Hell
I suppose its more a mix between philosophy and religion.

And no, its not a superior set of believes or religion or whatever. The claim itself is invalid because it lacks details. Superior in what way? Why? What do you exactly measure when you make such a claim. Its a vague claim based purely on personal believes.