[ART] Drawing the head on different angles(Need help!)

Biomega

Net Ronin Of All Trades
I am finding drawing the head at different angles really difficult. All I am doing is drawing the head either the front side or the profile(which is really terrible).

(Er... sorry for the macabre-style drawing, it's the last image(for a head) procured before my scanner went kaput - don't mind the shading, I wasn't focusing on that, I am still on line-art)

That's my best attempt at drawing a head from a 3/4 angle(or, whatever you artsy guys call it).

I haven't done any drawings lately, and I want to practice the head at different angles. Any tutorials or personal guidance is very much welcomed and appreciated and mentioned forever in my heart.

I have went to other websites(like manga-tutorial and Carbon, concept art is blocked...), but they are too professional for me. So, here I am.

Hey, I don't think the example you provided is too far off the mark. One thing that's hard to achieve with a simple line drawing is depth in the chin/jaw/neck area. One critique I can provide is that overall the head and face seem too elongated, unless that's what you were going for? I was always taught to sketch a circle (or rather a 'sphere') first and then superimpose two intersecting lines, the vertical representing the direction and angle of the face and the horizontal representing the basic line on which the two eyes are drawn. Then, sketch in the cheek and jaw lines and finally the neck. Also be aware of facial proportions; as individual as people may look, there are actually generalizations about the ratios of space between all the facial features.

One other thing I would point out for your sketch is that the ear is drawn too far into the face, to look more natural it the left side of the lobe should be aligned with the end of the jawline.

Lastly, to improve, I would suggest a couple things. One, practice drawing individual parts of the face at the particular angles that you're interested in. This saves time having to draw the entire face over and over again. Two, practice from a live model if available, or find a photograph of a real person at the angle you want and practice recreating it.

Sorry if I'm not clear about any of this, it's a little hard for me to explain. If you want clarification with pictures just let me know.

Biomega

Net Ronin Of All Trades
[quote name='moi']Sorry if I'm not clear about any of this, it's a little hard for me to explain. If you want clarification with pictures just let me know.[/QUOTE]I think you can use pictures. My head swallows information easily if it is drawings. I'd like to learn how to do the head first, then I can do the individual parts in-depth later, so what'd you say?

Here some practice I did yesterday(yeah, yeah, I know - you artists do 10 of those in one day)

And I can't follow this page.

A good thing for this and practically every other angle is the find the corners of the face. Usually can be made easy by drawing along aside of the face where the face ends. Practicing square heads helps also. Its all about finding the plains in the face.

Ill draw you an example in a while.

[MENTION=429]Biomega[/MENTION]

Heres some old sketches of what I mean, a lot of it can be hard to make out, but you should be able to get the basic jest