A Point??

Ive been on allot of "Does god exist" threads. They all end up pretty much the same.

SO I want to ask this question :

IS their a point in trying to prove god exists?

Note Im not saying does he exist or not just is there a point in even trying to Prove he exists.

-lexus-

Visions of Hell
Nope, no point whatsoever.

First of all, you cant prove it like you can prove gravity. Even hardcore atheists like Richard Dawkins admit this. His claim then again isnt that God doesnt exist, but that it is just so highly unlikely that there is no point in bothering yourself about it. And because of that, you will never really convince anyone, especially not religious people, unless they are extremely weak willed and go with whoever yells the loudest.
And second, even if you could somehow prove it, you still wouldnt convince anyone. People are remarkably good at rejecting pure logic or facts thrown in their face. People generally will not accept an idea when it isnt their own idea. People need to discover these things in their own time on their own. And when they do, they will only admit that they came up with the idea themselves.

The only reason why you can debate it, is because it can be so much fun to watch.

From a real practical standpoint. . . I don't think so. I don't think a man's ethics should change, whether or not there is a deity. We all ought to act with righteousness regardless of impartial judgement. And we ought to level impartial judgement upon our own actions whenever possible. If God is not the arbiter at the end of our lives, we ought to be our own arbiter. It's our ethical responsibility.

Epistemologically, Science is quite clear on these things.

Albert Einstein said to the effect of: No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong.

The bible has been roundly demolished both ethically and epistemologically.

The existence of God however. . . he is postulated as existing outside of nature (Nature = Everything that exists). He's unfalsifiable.

Kaze Araki

Libertarian Communist
I hope you're reading this Kaze-dono. I've said such things many times. :smart:
Nothing wrong with having some fun. :sneaky:
The existence of God however. . . he is postulated as existing outside of nature (Nature = Everything that exists). He's unfalsifiable.
Einstein was known to made several blunders, and one of them is about God.
Let alone unfalsifiable, when someone asked me - I can't even answer his question; "do you believe God exist?"
I just can't comprehend the question, believe in what? What does God suppose to mean?

"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."

Wittgenstein

Lol.

Unfalsifiability is not a good thing for an argument.

For example. Magical invisible space faeries are unfalsifiable.

When I said that God was unfalsifiable, I meant that in a critical way, not a supportive one.

"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."
Wittgenstein
I might just end up memorizing that one. That's a nice quote even though it kind of undermines my favorite passtime (Blind speculation about things of which I have not done any serious study)

"I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing."

-Socrates

That'd probably be the best quote I could come up with on the subject.

Kaze Araki

Libertarian Communist
The quote is from Ludwig Wittgenstein's Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus, my aim being to criticize Theist's claim that not only unfalsifiable, but also makes no sense, one variation is given in your previous post (I assume you wrote it down just to explain Theist's position - correct me if I'm wrong):

When I think about it, I simply cannot understand what it means by "existing outside of everything that exist". Since I cannot comprehend it, therefore I cannot speak anything about it, and thus why I must pass it away in silence.

The quote is from Ludwig Wittgenstein's Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus, my aim being to criticize Theist's claim that not only unfalsifiable, but also makes no sense, one variation is given in your previous post (I assume you wrote it down just to explain Theist's position - correct me if I'm wrong):

When I think about it, I simply cannot understand what it means by "existing outside of everything that exist". Since I cannot comprehend it, therefore I cannot speak anything about it, and thus why I must pass it away in silence.
Yeah, that's my bad. I should have clarified that I thought the unnatural argument was logically self defeating and that by unfalsifiability, I meant that more as a criticism. I forget that you guys can't hear the humored intonation in my voice when I talk about that.

You know what cracks me up just as much? When people claim that homosexuality is "unnatural". That's a good one. So if we have hetero sex in nature, they have homosexual sex in un-nature? Is that what that means? :laughing:

Technically. . . I'm not even sure what actually could be said to be unnatural (well except for God). As the Youtube guy, TheAmazingAtheist stated, God's technically more unnatural than gay sex.

-lexus-

Visions of Hell
TheAmazingAtheist ah yes. That guy. I guess discussing it does have its merits. Thanks to guys like that I no longer want to be grouped under 'Atheist' <_<